Pets In The Work Place

dog in office

Staff at the mairie in Grenoble have found themselves in a much busier office than normal lately after dog owners were allowed to bring their pets to work.

The mairie decided to trial the idea for a year from June 25 and it looks as though the rule could become permanent due to proving popular with staff.

Four mairie staff members requested to be allowed to bring their dog to work and the rule could now be extended to all staff.

The idea was launched by Sandra Krief, the local councillor for animal causes, who said that ā€œnormalising the presence of animals in our daily lives" would improve the well-being of both pets and staff.

She told BFMTV: "I had seen that this was being done more and more abroad, particularly in the private sector, so I proposed the idea and it was well-received.ā€

She said that there had been some misgivings at the start, including some people who were afraid their allergies would be triggered, and some who were a little afraid of dogs, but these fears proved unfounded, she said.

She said: ā€œThe benefits of this trial are manifest, for staff and the animals.ā€

office work and dog

Canine conditions

There are some rules, which have been agreed in partnership with HR, the legal department of the mairie, animal behaviourists, and hygiene and work conditions committee le CHSCT (ComitĆ© dā€™hygiĆØne, de sĆ©curitĆ© et des conditions de travail).

Category 1 and 2 dogs, such as Rottweilers and Pitbulls, are not allowed.

Dogs cannot be fed in the workspace, and are not allowed to walk around alone. They must be kept on a lead when moving around the office, and a designated walking area has been created outside. The dogā€™s owners are responsible for cleaning up all and any mess created by their pets.

Ms Krief also said that ā€œbefore any dogs are allowed in an office with several workers, all staff must absolutely give their formal agreementā€.
Staff support

The trial has proven popular with staff in the south-east France city.

Hakim Sabri, who works in the finance department, said: ā€œItā€™s very helpful. My dog Elwine is old now; she is 16, and my children no longer live at home. So this means she no longer spends every day alone at home. I feel better knowing she is here with me.ā€

Mr Sabri said that he brings Elwine into the office from time to time, ā€œwhen I donā€™t have external meetingsā€. The dog stays in her bed next to his desk.

He said: ā€œIā€™m lucky, she is very calm. She is good company, and creates a good atmosphere. She gets lots of attention all day, and has become the office mascot.ā€

Martine Villalta, director coordinator at the mairie, also brings her dog to work several times a week. She said: ā€œLast Monday she was on my lap during a meeting. She was asleep and didnā€™t move.

ā€œShe doesnā€™t stop me from working. She usually sits on a little cushion in the corner of the room next to her water bowl, and she loves meeting people who come to see me during the day. It creates a convivial atmosphere, itā€™s nice.ā€

Maxence Alloto, deputy in the Commerce, Artisan and local Economy department, said that his two-and-a-half-year-old Labrador Retriever Pixel took ā€œa little time to get used to it, but now, he knows the place well and feels at homeā€.

He said: ā€œPixel really gives us energy. Itā€™s always nice to come back to him between meetings, and enjoy being with him while working.ā€

Ms Krief added: ā€œItā€™s a real pleasure to share the space with them, and it gives a real sense of wellbeing in the workplace. It brings people together, and brings a certain peace.

ā€œPeople are more relaxed, confident and happier when they are surrounded by animals, especially dogs. It takes down certain barriers and breaks the ice in environments that can sometimes be stressful.ā€

Ms Krief is hoping that making it easier for staff to bring dogs into work will also help address the growing problem of animal abandonment in France.

She said: ā€œMany people adopted dogs during lockdown, which has meant the number of abandonments has grown over the past few months. So if it can persuade people to keep their animals [thatā€™s only a good thing].ā€
P.Sā€¦but
France has one of the highest levels of animal abandonment in Europe, with more than 100,000 abandoned every year.

WTF itā€™s a dog not a silly PlayStation. You donā€™t just rent one because youā€™re bored. Dogs are a commitment and anyone who got one for COVID and is trying to return it now is just an ass and doesnā€™t deserve to own a dog. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

7 Likes

Unfortunately many French people do not respect animals in the same vein as other Countriesā€¦
We have an elderly couple, not so far away but on our regular route to the shopsā€¦ who treat their Dog with the kindest of waysā€¦opposite their House they have Pasture Land with many Sheep that are well cared forā€¦I do know that as the land is often cleaned of their messā€¦Then there are roaming chickens with plenty of food aroundā€¦
many scattered veg leaves amongst the grain feederā€¦
ā€¦Then amongst the chickens is a lone White Huge Duckā€¦he has no Waterā€¦we had ducks in the UK and they breed so we then had ducklings to care forā€¦ so have enough experience how Vital water is to Ducksā€¦really upsets meā€¦ Then the Huntsā€¦certainly more low key in recent years, but many can be heard on a regular basis.
They have by law to put up signs of Huntsā€¦we always make sure our Cats are indoors as the hunting dogs do wander occasionally where they are now permitted to beā€¦500 metres from any residence is the closest they can beā€¦

I think this is a really good ideaā€¦especially now as many people return to work, leaving their pets alone all day. So long as the work gets done and everyone is ok around dogs, go for it! :+1:

2 Likes

I think having dogs in the work place makes for a better work atmosphere. Iā€™m a dog lover though, I think they should be allowed everywhere! :laughing: :laughing:

2 Likes

That area would be over towards Switzerlandā€¦Trixie
would take a lot of extra organising of courseā€¦

1 Like

I think it should be allowed everywhere (within reason). Dogs are pack animals and need their people.

1 Like

Couldnā€™t agree with you more on this Danny. We need a new slogan - ā€œA dog is for life, not just for lockdown.ā€

Our Dalmatian had pups, many years ago. One couple came to choose one, theyā€™d never owned a dog before, had no idea what was involved, but they went ahead and chose the liveliest pup in the litter. I warned them this one would be hard work and would need a very firm hand with training, and tried to persuade them to choose a more docile one. No, they were besotted with this one. So I offered it to them on a sale or return basis and implored them to please bring her back if she was too much for them (with a deadline of 4 weeks). They brought her back 2 weeks later, complete with dog bed, food and toys! I was so glad I had given them that opportunity. I eventually found a home for her with seasoned dog owners, who knew just how to deal with this mischievous little monkey!

On another note, my daughter used to take her black Labrador to work at one job she had - everyone loved her. They even had an old sofa in the office that was designated as hers :joy:

2 Likes

I like it. Iā€™ll take a T-shirt and a bumper sticker. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

haha that was funny Dannyā€¦ :laughing:
one of our Cats is doing a course nowā€¦even though she is retiredā€¦

Itā€™s amazing how many people put hours of research into a new car, TV, Phoneā€¦etc. When it comes to owning a dog they think ā€œI just want a cute one!ā€
First off theyā€™re all cute, but different dogs act differently and require different types of care. Very active to chill and laid back. It amazes me that people are actually surprised to find out owning a dog is actually work. Very enjoyable work, but still work. :exploding_head: :exploding_head: :exploding_head:

3 Likes

Oh I so agree, Danny! I think people should have a class or at least prove their knowledge of the specific breed of dog they want. And if its a mixed breed, they should be obliged to show a working knowledge of the general characteristics of the breeds their chosen dog may have. But no, we donā€™t even have a licence anymoreā€¦AND the ā€œmandatoryā€ microchip that you had to put in your dog, is a joke too, because the take up for that wasnā€™t great, even though its free and is the law.

3 Likes

The Corner Property hereā€¦When we moved here we soon discovered the Couple living in that house would get various Dogs and Catsā€¦We were told that they donā€™t seem to be around for any length of timeā€¦they said if they are bad they are goneā€¦no idea where they goā€¦They also own a large piece of land that adjoins next doors on our side, so I could see into that land that they had many types of Poultryā€¦I use to walk around there every dayā€¦One day there was a Dog tied up to a treeā€¦just piece of Rope tied onto a collar of hisā€¦He was still there the next dayā€¦and after 3 days of snooping nowā€¦He was there 24/7ā€¦Further along the lane was a friend and he was the under Marie at the timeā€¦Told him about the situation and with 24 hours the dog was goneā€¦Never can forget thatā€¦as I donā€™t know what happened to the Dog. In those few days I spoke with him a lot, it was really upsetting by his reactions to me. Thing is I thought had I done the right thing or was it the wrong thing.

1 Like

People have no idea how bad I want a dog right now. I live in a 1 bedroom 1 bath house with no yard to speak of. I am waiting until my living arrangements allow me to give a dog (any dog) the best life I can. Itā€™s not easy seeing other walking their dogs, but I would rather wait than have an unhappy dog. :cry: :cry: :cry:

3 Likes

My opinion you did the same as I would have. :innocent: :innocent: Only Iā€™m sure you did it a lot more nicely than I would have.

1 Like

They have not had any animals since. They both are out early for work and we never see them unless they are cutting their grass with a tractorā€¦can here the tractor of courseā€¦Not heard any poultry noises either.
I donā€™t know the reasons of course, but the youngsterā€™s have all left home now so maybe itā€™s that.
ā€¦At least there are not Dogs there to get upset aboutā€¦
We of course do have the 4 Hunting Dogs next door stillā€¦but that is a complex subject.

1 Like

Yes I did consult a friend who had authority because I am in a Foreign Countryā€¦I am still the same hot head when pushedā€¦ :innocent:

1 Like

Breaks my heart seeing a dog tied up or chained. Makes me want to do the same to the owner, see how they like it! :smiling_imp: :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

Yes and the dog could only just keep in the shade. The Dog would bark at everybody that passedā€¦until I spoke to him and he knew me in no time and the look in his eyes said it allā€¦gosh got tears now.
time for a stroll me ā€˜ā€˜finks.ā€™ā€™ā€¦

1 Like

I agree. I used to take Max to my office. He just makes people happy.