Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

No such thing Swim, every thing comes with a price. Just because the wind and sun are thought to provide us with free energy at the point of generation, the materials needed to produce this technology has to be sourced, and the energy needed in manufacturing is immense. Wind turbines and Solar panels only have a 25 year life span providing they work perfectly throughout their life, and Oil for lubrication in wind turbines is still a major player.

:lol::lol:

The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894 Part II

However, necessity is the mother of invention, and the invention in this case was that of motor transport. Henry Ford came up with a process of building motor cars at affordable prices. Electric trams and motor buses appeared on the streets, replacing the horse-drawn buses.

By 1912, this seemingly insurmountable problem had been resolved; in cities all around the globe, horses had been replaced and now motorised vehicles were the main source of transport and carriage.

The world was saved ā€¦ :026:

But ā€¦ now London drivers waste 227 hours a year stuck in traffic, travelling at an average speed of 7mph (the same as a horse and cart) ā€¦ :lol:

Without even the advantage of the occasional ā€˜something that is good for the rosesā€™! :wink: :slight_smile: :smiley:

I never knew that about the horse manure crisis.

So going back to horse transport wouldnā€™t really help then.
Shankā€™s pony is the other answer then, but no one would travel very far from home.
Seems like we are doomed to have electric cars in the future.
Shame we canā€™t just teleport from place to place or send goods that way. There would be no need of any transport then.

A good start would be, that instead of wasting money knocking 20 minutes off the train journey from London to Birmingham, build a dedicated freight line up the spine of Britain and get rid of the convoy of lorries than now adorn the M1 A1 and M25ā€¦

:038::038:

That would make a great deal more sense than the HS2, which seems to be nothing more than a grandiose and impractical white elephant which very few people will actually use. It will be too expensive for most ordinary people and so will never repay its cost.

Thatā€™s true JB, in the future I believe it will be more important to move goods around than people. Imagine how good the motorways would be without lorriesā€¦:115:

Youā€™re right. Although there will still be some lorries on the motorways, your suggestion would seriously reduce their numbers. Perhaps then theyā€™ll be willing to restore our hard shoulders.

Just been looking at the new most advanced Tesla 3 Electric car.

The 85 KWh battery weighs 1200 lb (Half a ton) and is comprised of 7100 lithium Ion cells wired in series (if one fails the whole lot fails) and is estimated to cost $7000 It is expected to last between 300,000 - 500,000 miles but performance will drop off in the order of 1% per year provided it is charged per manufactures advice (Only charged at 90% or less each night)

The charger costs $1000 and approximately $1000 for installation providing house wiring is able to handle the load.
Average range expected is around 220 miles on a full charge.

Brakes and filters can be maintained by yer average garage, but anything electrical will have to done by the dealer at great expense. Not good news for the thousands of overall clad trained mechanics in thousands of garages up and down the country. They will only require servicing every 24 months.

I think weā€™re going to need more timeā€¦Long live the diesel!
Oh! and thereā€™s thisā€¦

Forget Fracking, itā€™s small potatoes compared to thisā€¦

The more information I read about electric cars - and letā€™s not forget about their limited range as well - the more Iā€™m convinced that it is not something I am ever going to buy.

To make matters worse, all of these disadvantages and additional expenses are only there to satisfy the feelings of eco-warriors who are yet to prove that any climate changes are the fault of us rather than nature.

Same here JB, sometimes I think all this with electric cars and gas boilers is just to get people to spend money, but it will produce a lot of debt and poverty in my opinion.

Perhaps Diane can work out the over all cost for us on her magic calculatorā€¦ Fifteen quid all in. :lol:

:017: Whatever happened to that wonderful, game-changing, hydrogen powered engine the powers-that-be were raving on about a few years ago? You know the one I mean, the one that generated just steam as exhaust gas.

Or the one that ran on left over fizzy drinksā€¦ Oh, no that was in Back to the future. :-p

Do you remember the car that ran on chicken manure, or rather the gas it was made from?

Not personally but Iā€™ve seen many photos of it.:lol:

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/methane_bate.html

:lol::lol:

Ah, yes, Mr Bate and his methane motor. Spent more money on fuel heating up the chicken poop converter than he saved on petrol.