Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

The change comes after experts said 2040 would be too late if the UK wants to achieve its target of emitting virtually zero carbon by 2050.

People will only be able to buy electric or hydrogen cars and vans, once the ban comes into effect.

That’s the good news; here’s the bad news:

Rise of SUVs ‘makes mockery’ of electric car push

The “immense” rise in sales of high-emission sports utility vehicles means they now outsell electric cars in the UK by 37 to one, research has found.

As a result, overall exhaust emissions from new cars have been increasing, not declining, for the past three years, says the UK Energy Research Centre.

SUV sales are jeopardising the UK transport sector’s ability to meet EU emissions targets, it said.

“SUVs are larger and heavier than a standard car, emitting about a quarter more CO2 than a medium-size car and nearly four times more than a medium-sized battery electric vehicle,” said the UKERC.

“Assuming the majority of these SUVs will be on UK roads for at least a decade, it is estimated the extra cumulative emissions to total around 8.2 million tons of CO2.”

IMO, SUV’s should be effectively banned by taxing them off the road … :!:

1 Like

So what about all the lorries, ships, and trains?
And what about the rest of the world?
Is the UK going to try and solve the climate change emergency all by itself?

First, let’s take out the SUV’s … :cool:

How are the children going to get to school Omah?..:102:

Anyway they can, apart from SUV … :lol:

I think we should all go back to owning horses & carriages/carts, then the population couldn’t travel as far, nor would there be any fumes except from the dung, which is good as a fertilizer.
I’ve been watching DVD’s of Larkrise to Candleford. Wish I had lived in those times.

It is nice to have goals to reduce emissions.

A couple of weeks ago our President said that he did not like small cars, he liked big cars. Standard SUV gas guzzlers may not be big enough for our leadership.

The notion that we don’t need to eliminate emissions from personal vehicles because there will still be trains, trucks and buses is beyond ridiculous. Big problems are rarely solved in one giant step. Any move to reduce emissions is a positive one.

I don’t know what exactly is classed as an SUV, but I see lots of brand new oversized cars around, and they all plug in, so presumably they’re hybrid or fully electric.

What were gas-guzzlers are now electricity-eaters … :!:

I will be long gone by then or past driving anything other than my legs :slight_smile:

If people like Funberg get their way, that’s how we will end up. :cry:

First of all I would like to know how many of the politicians’ personal luxury cars are electric. I don’t have a ‘gas guzzler’ any more because it guzzled gas and was too expensive to run, nothing to do with ‘saving the planet’ though.

I suppose if all fails we can catch a lift on the next bandwagon. :wink:

How long will petrol be available and at what cost?

I would miss my 'bike.

Hi biffo.

That’s the thing isn’t it. No doubt petrol and diesel will still be around then but they will ensure it is too expensive for the average person to buy. The rich will be OK of course.

I would hoard it but it goes off!

With a bang perhaps. :-p

:shock::mrgreen:

Mainly because I have always loved horses & in those days they were used as transport.:slight_smile:

Who is Funberg?

You know, that Greta person. ;-):-p

Bet she has never ridden a horse though. That would be fun to watch.:lol: