Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

I would rather take the horse to lunch. :lol:

Me too every time:-)

Considering the National Grid live in fear of a big switch-on, such as electric kettles at the end of a nationally broadcasted big football match, what will they do when everyone plugs-in their electric cars upon returning home around 6 to 7pm.
The average kettle is approximately a 3Kw loading, but a car will demand around 12Kw and for much longer than boiling a kettle.
The cable feeds in the road wont take the load and nor will the local transformers, not forgetting the hazard of many charging cables draped across public pavements ā€¦ this has not been thought through enough to simply announce a petrol & diesel ban date ahead.

I agree with all the above LD

Here is a link to a map showing your nearest public charge points. So far, thereā€™s a grand total of three in my area, the nearest being a mile away.

I have a some questions:

1. If you were out for the day, and your car was running out of charge, how much warning to do you get?

2. How long will it take to recharge? I mean, with petrol, you fill up, pay, and go all within a few minutes.
    So what about these electric cars?

3. Sometimes there a long queues to use the pumps in our local garages.
    If it takes hours to recharge, are there going to be queues into eternity?

4. If there was no charge point for miles, and you conk out, can a breakdown man come and give you a quick zap to get you going again?

Probably no need for me to worry too much anyway, because by the time this comes into force I probably wonā€™t be driving anymore . . . . . . (did I just hear Judd and Dongle breath a sigh of relief? ) :lol:

One & 3 miles away.

Just had a frightening thought - imagine electric driverless cars, on smart motorways. :shock:

Ooer, and another strange thought - will they ( or do they already), make driverless disability scooters?

It could be very handy for people who use these, to have charging points handy when they are out? They could venture a little further then.
They could go in somewhere for a bit of lunch while charging it, and know they were going to get home again safely.

Thatā€™s got to be one of my better ideas?

https://yoursmiles.org/tsmile/idea/t9202.gif

Hi

Irrespective of climate change, the air will be a lot cleaner and easier to breath.

As for the date, just an empty promise by a politician who know they not still be around to take the blame.

If it progresses anything like HS2 or Crossrail it will end up costing a hundred times more than the estimate and take fifty years to complete, so not even your kids will need to worry.

Hah. Thatā€™s very true, Foxy. :smiley:

LD I keep asking everyone where all this electricity will come from to no avail ?

Re horses much as I love them if we went back to them we would be literally in deep s**t .

Hi

Renewables.

No one knows the answer. It has not been thought through. Imagine a few million people coming home from work, plugging their cars in, putting the kettle on and cooking on an electric hob. We will end up like India with their regular black-outs.

These are my concerns Mups. Also will houses that donā€™t have access to a charging point lose value?

And yes there was a sigh of relief. :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

We would have to employ a muck person to clean the roads. Much like the street sweepers of long ago.:slight_smile:

Good for the garden, though.

If we descend into poverty, which I wouldnā€™t be at all surprised to see, weā€™d no doubt have enterprising people out with buckets and shovels trying to make their fortune!

The Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894 Part I

By the late 1800s, large cities all around the world were ā€œdrowning in horse manureā€. In order for these cities to function, they were dependent on thousands of horses for the transport of both people and goods.

In 1900, there were over 11,000 hansom cabs on the streets of London alone. There were also several thousand horse-drawn buses, each needing 12 horses per day, making a staggering total of over 50,000 horses transporting people around the city each day.

To add to this, there were yet more horse-drawn carts and drays delivering goods around what was then the largest city in the world.

This huge number of horses created major problems. The main concern was the large amount of manure left behind on the streets. On average a horse will produce between 15 and 35 pounds of manure per day, so you can imagine the sheer scale of the problem. The manure on Londonā€™s streets also attracted huge numbers of ļ¬‚ies which then spread typhoid fever and other diseases.

Each horse also produced around 2 pints of urine per day and to make things worse, the average life expectancy for a working horse was only around 3 years. Horse carcasses therefore also had to be removed from the streets. The bodies were often left to putrefy so the corpses could be more easily sawn into pieces for removal.

The streets of London were beginning to poison its people. This problem came to a head when in 1894, The Times newspaper predictedā€¦ ā€œIn 50 years, every street in London will be buried under nine feet of manure.ā€

It seemed urban civilisation was doomed.

:107: