Petrol and diesel car sales ban brought forward to 2035

:017: Whatever happened to that wonderful, game-changing, hydrogen powered engine the powers-that-be were raving on about a few years ago? You know the one I mean, the one that generated just steam as exhaust gas.

Or the one that ran on left over fizzy drinks… Oh, no that was in Back to the future. :-p

Do you remember the car that ran on chicken manure, or rather the gas it was made from?

Not personally but I’ve seen many photos of it.:lol:

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/methane_bate.html

:lol::lol:

Ah, yes, Mr Bate and his methane motor. Spent more money on fuel heating up the chicken poop converter than he saved on petrol.

Nevertheless, it sounds convincing and practical, if utilised correctly.

I envisage such a use of methane (obtained from plentiful natural resources) especially when oil becomes more scarce and expensive.

I expect, however, that the heat source for extracting the methane might be more practical and economical if done on a large scale basis and sold to motorists, rather than us having to do it ourselves in our ‘backyards’.

Of course, there is the temptation for ‘manufacturers’ - and certainly the government - to impose charges or taxes for their own profit. On the other hand, unlike the complicated process of converting raw oil to petrol or diesel, it appears to be something any of us could do.

Yes, I’d be happy to chase around after horses to collect their generous contributions!

Always assuming they aren’t extinct by then.:frowning:

Doubtful. If the eco-warriors have their way, we’ll all be using horses for transport.

Except for me! Marge and I can produce our own raw materials for the generation of methane.

is this the chicken car?

https://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/BN-XF275_MYRIDE_750RV_20180129144707.jpg

You need a reality check.

The invention of the motor car saved large cities like New York and London from being buried in shit and horse piss.

London in 1900 had 11000 hansom cabs each horse produced up to 15 kg of poo each day and two litres of urine so they produced 165 tonnes of poo and 22 tonnes of urine daily without counting all the other forms of horse drawn transport.

Great horse manure crisis of 1894 might be a myth but in fact the crisis was very real

Indeed:

Me as well

I have seen examples of biogas generators on farms in the UK already producing sufficient quantities of methane to fuel up converted farm vehicles, heat buildings and export into the gas network. However, these generators rely on the dung from several local diary farms to keep going 24/7/52. Once the methane production has finished in one generator, it is pumped out and spread like normal muck onto the fields as fertiliser (but apparently without too much of the smell).

Nah, don’t worry about the bandwagon, we can hitch a ride on their lengthy gravy-train. All aboard the Westminster Bubble Express and please mind the reality gap:lol:

:023:

Correct .
But it would be great for organic food production .

If you’d read my link you’d have discovered that “the average life expectancy for a working horse was only around 3 years. Horse carcasses therefore also had to be removed from the streets. The bodies were often left to putrefy so the corpses could be more easily sawn into pieces for removal.”

Not so good for organic food production let alone human health … :shock: