People who don’t ask questions

Is there anything more boring than people who don’t ask questions ?
I don’t me intrusive nosy questions , I mean general small talk at a social gathering .?
I was at a lunch the other day and the woman sat next to me said she hates parties and talking to people - what a way to start ! ( I thought well FY then ] she never asked me a single question in the while of the lunch , good manners compelled me to make small talk - she was quite happy to talk about herself !
Most people just want to talk about themselves and don’t care about other people but heck they are boring !

2 Likes

Aww that’s a bit harsh…some people are just socially inept or awkward, and find it difficult to start or continue conversations. At least she had the guts to say she didn’t like people :joy:

Was she there with someone (I’m thinking perhaps she was under duress)

1 Like

No she was lively as a cricket not socially awkward and was there with her husband who did ask questions .

Its a bit like the “muzak” played in lifts or when on hold on the phone. Pointless noise for the sake of it.

What is small talk ?
If you go out somewhere as a guest or member of a party IMO that you have a duty to be pleasant and agreeable to other people and that means talking at least a superficial interest in them .
It’s only good manners .

Oh well, I have no idea then. She clearly thought she had better things to do with her time than sit chatting to strangers…

…wait a minute… :flushed:

:slight_smile:
I wasn’t a stranger really it’s was at a do for a mutual friend .

1 Like

Was it a free lunch, free bar “do”?

I was once introduced met a friends new husband a man in his fifties and asked him as one does what do you do?
Instead of saying what occupation he said if I told you I would have to kill you .
( ie my work is so special and important it can’t be spoken about ) -it wasn’t as it turned out )
I had to bite my tongue severely not to say whatever it is you are first and foremost a complete prat ! )

2 Likes

I love small talk,it`s what makes the world go round.
It can also put a smile on peoples faces,especially those who are lonely.

2 Likes

@Muddy , l think you lack humour Muddy ?
The first lady you mention was only laying out her boundaries for your
benefit ?
The last guy you mention had a sense of humour, but you didn’t get the
Joke ? :+1::+1::roll_eyes::+1::+1:

He was probably having a laugh?

Someone said that to me once and it turned out he was in the SAS…I was like, erm, ok then…(didn’t really believe him, but you never know)

I don’t mind a bit of small talk, BV, but it can be a bit arduous at times if there is no connection or common ground.

Possibly one question that should not be asked is “how often”

There were six people at the table .
That is not what you say when you sit down at a table with people .
She had no problem in talking about herself !
The other man was a prat full stop .

1 Like

You can always tell SAS men they look so self conscious !

1 Like

Too right .
That is why if you are trapped next to someone in a social situation there has to be some give and take .

1 Like

Listening in the background to Truss give her conference speech, I think I’d rather listen to the lady sat next to you @Muddy

There is that :laughing:

I understand you loud and clear, Muddy, …some people just aren’t interested in others…it’s just the way they are.

I’m glad you made small talk with her, it probably got you through…it’s so hard though doing all the talking…imo, conversation should just flow.

Never mind, thank God you don’t have to see her again.:+1: :joy: