People always mispronounce - it drives me crazy

Before the English education system banned and exterminated my Irish accent I used to pronounce the word ‘Film’ as ‘Filum’.

And - I never did understand why ‘Can’t’ was an acceptable abbreviation for ‘Can not’ but ‘Mayn’t’ for ‘May not’ had the nuns throwing up their hands in horror!

2 Likes

Buffette
Gatux.
Gin and leem
Catch the buz

1 Like

I said how lovely to see you again ~ your place or mine?!

2 Likes

haha I had the zhilay conversation with a colleague just recently. I was originally told about this over ten years ago. It’s great fun to find out you’re culturally deficient.

2 Likes

yogurt is pronounced yo(as in no)gurt here.
It doesn’t drive me crazy though.

1 Like

I’ve always pronounced it “undies”

3 Likes

LOL shock horror Percy_Vere.
I ay sayn nufink to dat.

1 Like

I have always pronounced it ‘three peggers’ as that’s the number of pegs my huge comfy knicks take! :laughing:

1 Like

Is this the Knickers thread? :sweat_smile:

I think I’m a bit odd because believe me I’m no prude, but the word ‘panties’ I find really sleazy, makes my skin crawl

4 Likes

Bridget Jones killed it .

2 Likes

My Irish Mum always said filum for film and I loved it. The Irish name Colm is pronounced Colum.

2 Likes

I’d never heard the word “Fillum” until I came to Australia in the 1960s when about 1 in 5 seemed to use it (never hear it now) they were the same people who called their wife/girlfriend “Darl”…

Likewise the number that said can BERRA. And let’s not get into the argument as to whether it is JErvis Bay or JArvis Bay (it is spelt Jervis)

I can’t say these drive me crazy they are just interesting.

2 Likes

That word, AGEN. It’s again, a^gain as in attain🤬

2 Likes

I noticed the word “Jalapeno” in another thread. I have never pronounced it as “Halipeeenyo” (which is the correct way) its always been “Jally-peen-oh” in my head.

1 Like

I was just wondering if you can really mispronounce a word when, in fact, there are two possible pronunciations . It’s just a personal preference then if one doesn’t like one variant.

1 Like

Ya don’t speak Spanish or any of it’s derivatives then Pix?

1 Like

I’m sorry but I’m a Sheffield lad and we mispronounce almost every word you can think of

Watter— water
Oil — hole
Coil … coal
Skoil… school

You get the picture lol

And we run words together to make one word out of a sentence

Whowhashiwewashiwehersen… Who was she with ? Was she by herself?

2 Likes

Pronunciation

2 Likes

Trying to get 4yo twin Ukrainian girls to pronounce Knickers is a bit of a struggle as their words for them are “dams’ki pantalony” but they are getting there and improving daily with their English. Written is somewhat more difficult though as дрібнички = knickers.
Age is very much on their side and as the start full school here in September, their future looks bright and their mum is determined they all will succeed over here :+1:

2 Likes

There are many that make me smile: an escape goat, bowl in a china shop.

There are a few that make me sigh, but my current pet annoyance is when anyone says “I done” After about three repeats I reply "you didn’t done anything. You did it or you have done it. "

1 Like