Parking On The Pavement

Looks to me as if pavement means sidewalk. I can see where parking on the sidewalk would be inconvenient for pedestrians. I thought you were talking about this kind of parking.

27094_05e2db8fe5214f64aaccc6b24cdfb704_1545334653

When we refer to pavement we are referring to the street. Did I get this right? Wouldn’t be the first time I misunderstood my friends from across the pond. :grinning: :grinning:

2 Likes

Yep pavement equals sidewalk over your side of the pond.
So we are talking about parking where pedestrians walk. :+1:
How does anyone get out of there parking space there (scratches head)

3 Likes

Hi Danny, we call it a pavement,

here in the UK.

2 Likes

Don’t worry about misunderstanding, I’m sure we are the same. I’ve seen a lot of American films and programs so have quite a good grasp on some of the differences in terminology :+1:

2 Likes

I agree that it an issue here for us too. Today was just one example. We went to the grocery store. I take the two trolleys and my dear wife takes the dog. Quite a few people just don’t leave quite enough space for walking the trolleys so I have to step out into the road to pass them.

3 Likes

Over here if you park on the pavement, it’s usually because you’ve had one too many. It would be a automatic over here that they would tow your car if parked on the pavement. It’s illegal in every state I have ever been to.

2 Likes

I used to puzzle about what the Boardwalk was until I saw a picture of a pier at a seafront.

2 Likes

Danny, I think your streets over there, are far superior to ours…ours are tiny compared to America.:+1:

1 Like

Trust me when I say that for the most part our Highway system is OK. City streets and backroads, some would be better off as cobblestone.

-1x-1

2 Likes

Some are tiny though. Where our family is has single track roads with passing places. Where my wife’s sister and her husband live is just a dirt road.

It doesn’t help when new houses are built that they make the roads so blooming narrow.

2 Likes

Hi

In a few years time the pavements are going to be covered by cables charging cars.

2 Likes

Then there’s that. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Pavement for us means sidewalk .
Our streets are old and narrow there is no room to park .
It’s a increasing problem there simply is no where to park any more .
Worse cars are becoming ever wider and bigger .

3 Likes

This is the parking that really bugs me. There is plenty of room on the road to park or they could park further into their driveway, it is so rude in my opinion.

2 Likes

We get that type of parking here as well, usually because there is a whole line of cars in the driveway ,not enough room on their driveway, which should only accommodate 2 cars anyway.

If that happened in my location, there would be copious key-scrapes right along its hind quarters within minutes and quite right too🤬

1 Like

That is a prime example of a car which is asking to be towed away. Look at that poor old chap (it’s me incidentally - no it isn’t; I don’t use a walking stick and I’m not bald!)
That particularly selfish driver has said to everyone else, “I don’t give a toss if you have to walk on the road and risk getting knocked down, I’m alright Jack.”
The trouble is that we don’t seem to see cars being towed away any more. Not even a parking ticket most of the time. If I were that old chap I’d make sure I give it a good old scrape as I was passing.

2 Likes

Well I suppose the driver has at least had the decency to put a warning up for any approaching pedestrians - look at the number plate.

I saw a car the other day that had been wheel clamped by DVLA, with a big yellow envelope tucked under the windscreen wipers, labelled ‘non payment of VED’ or words to that effect. This was on a busy road, where parents go to collect primary school children, so the driver would have had a job to live that one down!

1 Like

Yes, but non-payment of taxes - that’s a good example of how money talks!

1 Like