Parking On The Pavement

I do believe there is a law coming into force this year 2022 ,to ban members of the public from parking on the pavement,…a link would be appreciated.

Can you see that working?

Some neighbours around here, have so many cars per household, they park fully on the pavement.

Won’t this law create chaos?..where will they park their cars?

Yes, I also know it creates chaos, parking on the pavement as well.

About time too!! Trying to safely pass when pushing a wheelchair can be almost impossible. I should not have to chance going into the road to walk past a road vehicle🤬

3 Likes

There you go mum, as requested :clown_face:

2 Likes

Thanks,Chilli, that’s the link I read…:+1::+1:

I agree, when I politely confronted a neighbour for fully parking on the pavement, on a corner,so dangerous, I had to step onto the road…he laughed in my face.

1 Like

You should have called plod! There are rules about parking distances from corners.

1 Like

I am amazed it is not the law already. It is the law here but Wollongong council doesn’t enforce it, other councils do. It really annoys me

1 Like

According to the link, it’s still at the consultation stage, so nothing has been fully decided yet.

It’s not an issue where I live but I can think of quite a few places where it would be impossible for residents to park their car near their home without blocking the road if they didn’t take up part of the pavement.
There will have to be a lot of sorting out of exemptions or residents permits and alternative places to park at local levels if National legislation is brought in, so maybe it would be better if it was dealt with under local byelaws?

2 Likes

It’s really serious here, and do believe it will be coming into force most definitely…hopefully this year…2022.

Many residents here, have up to 5/6 cars , families all living under the same roof.
Some places, the cars are in a row along the pavement…taking the whole pavement up…

I thought it was already illegal anyway.

Quote from Gov.uk:-

" Since 1974, parking on pavements, with certain exceptions, has been prohibited in Greater London by the Greater London Council (General Powers) Act 1974. Exemptions at specific locations can be permitted through an administrative resolution and indicated by traffic signs. A national prohibition was enacted in Scotland in November 2019 but has yet to come into force. The reverse applies elsewhere in England, where parking on pavements and verges is permitted unless specifically prohibited by a local authority (either street-by-street or zonally); the prohibition requiring a formal Traffic Regulation Order (TRO). The DfT is currently running a project looking at how the TRO legislative framework can be improved, to make TROs easier to implement, including for pavement parking."emphasised text

1 Like

You can get into a lot of trouble with the police, depending how serious the parking is.

Also the council can enforce.

That’s in London, but here under West Sussex County Council at the moment, its all down to the thin-on-the-ground’s police discretion.

1 Like

Indeed,I had to park on the pavement one time as a carer, someone reported me to the police,I got a ticking off…now I believe ,if a carer can’t find a place to park, and have no choice than to park on the pavement, they have a sticker they put on their dashboard, explaining why.

1 Like

That’s in the quote, LD.

“The reverse applies elsewhere in England, where parking on pavements and verges is permitted unless specifically prohibited by a local authority (either street-by-street or zonally)”

1 Like

I’m not supporting parking on pavements, after all we need to keep them clear for cyclists don’t we?
However, the impression I get is that one way or another the authorities are doing all they can to persuade people not to use, or even buy, cars and that we should use the buses and trains, unreliable and expensive that they may be.

My road is narrow and only wide enough to allow cars to pass one another with little room and we are allowed to park half on the pavement half on the road in marked bays.

As has been stated most of the houses have more than one car.

Most have had their front gardens paved and park some of their cars there.

All have garages which are filled with junk and their 40k + cars are parked outside.

In my Daughters cul-de-sac most families park on the pavements because the houses were not built with adequate spaces to park & drives are narrow, steep & short. They weren’t designed for people with more than one car & a small one at that. Some like Daughter have made a parking space in the steep front gardens. Using a retaining wall to flatten the space which isn’t big anyway. She can only get the Fiesta on that.
I am so very glad I don’t live in a cul-de-sac, sometimes its hairy trying to drive around the cul-de-sac, cars everywhere. I can’t see anyone who lives there not parking on the pavements.
Our road, being a through road, is wide enough for cars to park without using the pavements though some do, most drives are wide enough for two parking places side by side where part of the front garden has been modified. We have two on our drive.

I see no option as that is quite a common situation in this country. Most of our roads were laid out in Victorian or early 20th century days, when there were fewer cars and we got by quite easily. Unfortunately, today we have so many more cars but we still have to rely on the roads where we live which are far too narrow to permit parking on both sides, or even on one side.

I do agree with parking partly on the pavement (two wheels only) in order to permit a good flow of traffic, as long as the width of the pavement remaining is enough to allow wheelchairs and pushchairs to get past. Bicycles, of course, should have to use the road.

I can’t see any easy solution other than to pull down old housing and start again, widening roads or even encouraging people to move out of towns and into new living areas in the country where more land is available to create more modern towns with wider roads and housing with garages as standard.

1 Like

I think it’s going to be tricky to introduce a total ban on pavement parking. There are so many new estates full of tiny houses with no garages, and just allocated parking spaces for one car. The reality is the people who live there nearly all have two cars, so one has to be parked on the road. There is no choice.

Where my daughter lives there are always cars parked partly on the pavements. They do this in order to try to keep the road open, because frankly if they were all parked completely on the road, any emergency vehicles would be unable to get through. I’ve often dreaded the thought of an ambulance or fire engine needing to access my daughter’s little cul-de-sac - they would have the devil’s own job trying to get through sometimes! So what do you do? Put double yellow lines along one side of each road? Yes, that could work in theory, but where do all the excess cars park then?

We have a massive ‘new town’ being built near us, 1000’s and 1000’s of new homes, and already people who have moved into the first homes are complaining about the lack of available parking. Why oh why is not enough thought put into this at the planning stage? And don’t say ‘use public transport’. My daughter, who doesn’t drive and so relies on buses, is currently having to walk 1.5 miles to work each day, and back again, because the buses she used to catch in the morning and afternoon have both been cut, with promises of more cuts to come.

1 Like