Overpopulation?

That surprises me I thought you were a veggie too.

I’m adaptable. If I think that eating meat is very bad for me then I just won’t eat it, but if there is still some in the freezer I won’t waste it. This is the big difference with me and a lot of others: I eat to live and not live to eat.

What started me off on the veggie trail recently is the fact I’m 2 stone overweight. I’m now following a plant / bread based diet. Looking in to the benefits of following such a diet has made me read and view lots of interesting articles, along with a thought provoking video: Forks over Knives …

Examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods.

Fascinating stuff.

I HAVE been a vegan in the past though.

Slightly off topic but this thread seems to be about both over population and feeding the world and the subjects do crossover.
Some years ago find myself the recipient of £25 courtesy of premium bonds and as it was an unexpected windfall I could live without I donated it to a charity’s campaign to buy a cow for some poor villagers in Africa .

I was quite put out to find a second charity taking issue with the first one accusing them if sending inferior cows and making children ill with milk :shock:
I did wonder if the second charity was just miffed at the first charity attracting more funds than they were.

There is a decent subject for debate here I only suggest that the debate be widened to discuss the subject more fully.

The storyline for the video: Forks Over Knives makes for interesting reading …

What has happened to us? Despite the most advanced medical technology in the world, we are sicker than ever by nearly every measure. Cases of diabetes are exploding, especially amongst our younger population. About half of us are taking at least one prescription drug and major medical operations have become routine. Heart disease, cancer and stroke are the country’s three leading causes of death, even though billions are spent each year to “battle” these very conditions. Millions suffer from a host of other degenerative diseases. Could it be there’s a single solution to all of these problems? A solution so comprehensive, but so utterly straightforward, that it’s mind-boggling that more of us haven’t taken it seriously? FORKS OVER KNIVES examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the so-called “diseases of affluence” that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting our present menu of animal-based and processed foods.

The reviews of the movie are interesting …

Tony :slight_smile: go ahead and do so if you wish .

If MKJ prefers not to have some things discussed in this thread
please say so MKJ and we can split the thread :slight_smile:

Oh well if this is to be a thread solely about the joys of vegetarianism may I put in a plea for poor mistreated vegetables. Carrots roughly taken from their beds, Cabbages and lettuces cut off from their roots. One can only imagine their silent screams at such barbaric treatment. And then to be boiled in water, or steamed dropped into hot fat or even eaten alive it beggars belief that such treatment is allowed in a civilised country…

You carry on. I’m probably a bit burned out now with regard to this thread anyway. I’ve had my say and more or less covered all I considered relevant. But you never know someone might allude to something or other that I will find interesting.

I shall leave the decision to split it or not to you being a mod.

You will have to try harder than that to wind me up. Good try though.

Come on now Vic get in the swing of things. Go for a run or something if you feel like bashing someone over something.

But that nonsense is just infantile garbage: just plain laughable and silly.

:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Play with the bull and you get the horns …

No MJK it was you who railroaded the thread I merely followed your example and treated your offerings in much the same way as you treated other contributors and viewpoints…

OK Vic. Whatever. You might have a point, though I doubt it. Carry on making a name for yourself with your aggressive manner, though what that name will eventually be might not be to your taste.

Block list for you me thinks …

Ok Mark :slight_smile: we will see how it goes.

I do think too much meat is eaten and it is better to eat a small amount occasionally produced with animal welfare in mind but I am speaking from a position of privilege with access to a variety of foodstuffs.

I also think it is dreadful that any food goes to waste. Not one leaf does in this house it goes in the compost or a neighbour’s goat.

One thing that does annoy me as someone who lives alone is that more food is not produced in small packages to reduce any waste, there is too much concentration on large packs and buy one get one free.

**Will you chaps please stop bickering :lol:
Thank you.

Yes very interesting and good way to live I think, certainly my body has decided what I can and cannot eat though to the point I am not happy giving much more up voluntarily these days.

Your veganism may be why I assumed you were now veggie.

If trying to treat a serious thread seriously and staying on topic is being aggressive then I plead guilty as charged.

Must remember 'tis folly to treat serious topics seriously.

It’s hard to discuss overpopulation without getting into how to feed everyone. The point has already been made that it’s not so much lack of space but population distribution.

So is over population the problem or is it that people in some places can’t manage to feed themselves for whatever reason? And if they were given the necessary help/technology to do so would we still consider that the world was over populated?

Yes

But only in certain areas :wink:

sorry … can’t take this thread seriously any more

To me how to feed everyone is more about water than meat versus crops, in many areas they don’t have enough water for either. So we need to address water supplies first and foremost.

Well I can’t see why not, it can be as serious as we all want it and we can take it in whatever direction we wish.

Yes that is part of the solution but I would suggest it could be overcome. Much land capable of raising crops or sustaining meat production is in set aside (or whatever the current term is) in developed counties to keep prices up. This land could be used to produce food for export. If supermarkets can fly in green beans, asparagus, fruit and other crops from Kenya, for instance, logistically it must be possible to fly crops to Africa. Whilst I agree with and understand the profit motive the issue of the reality of
starvation is far too serious to allow profit to overrule humanity.

A point I made earlier regarding food wastage by consumers and Supermarkets - if this was addressed and drastically reduced as the French are attempting to do that would be a step in the right direction.