Our next holiday

moved

Vigur Island

Day 11 – ĺsafjördur, Iceland

SPECIAL INTEREST

SIGHTSEEING

SNACK

Set sail amid beautiful seascapes to an enchanting island with diverse birdlife and warm hospitality. You will depart Ísafjördur’s harbor and sail the Djupfjord to the island of Vigur. The spear-shaped island has earned a strong reputation for bird-watching in Iceland, and is home to magnificent birdlife during early summer. Arctic terns often soar overhead, sharing their island home with puffins, eider ducks, and black guillemots. Despite being the second largest island in Ísafjördur Bay, the island has only 10 inhabitants, whose friendly welcome awaits you. You will meet the locals and learn how they live off the land by harvesting the down of the eider, a northern sea duck. The softest, lightest down in the world, eiderdown is extremely rare, in great demand and highly prized. You will also enjoy refreshments served by the farmer’s family in a mid-19th-century home before your return sail to Ísafjördur.
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

The Islands of Giske & Godøy
Day 5 – Ålesund, Norway
SNACK
SIGHTSEEING

Visit spectacular Nordic islands via a coastal network of bridges and undersea tunnels.

You will meet your guide at our berth and enjoy a scenic drive to Giske, the alleged birthplace of the Viking Chieftain Rollo. Saga Island, as it is locally called, is a beautiful swath of flat and fertile land. You will stop at its historic stone church dating to 1150. This vision in white was built for the mighty Giske family; you can step inside if its schedule of services allows. Continue to Godøy Island, to the small fishing village of Alnes. If you would like, you can climb the stairs of the old lighthouse for sweeping ocean views. Later, enjoy home-baked cake and coffee or tea before returning to Ålesund and your awaiting ship.
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

The Golden Circle

Day 12 – Reykjavík, Iceland
UNESCO

SIGHTSEEING

NATURAL WORLD

Witness otherworldly, spellbinding landscapes as you tour the fabled “Island of Fire and Ice.” Iceland’s volcanic and glacial activity make it one of the world’s most dramatic spots for unspoiled splendor. You will drive with your guide to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Thingvellir National Park, where Iceland’s first national assembly was founded in 930 AD. Visit this Viking site, then continue to Gullfoss to marvel at the “Golden Falls,” the nation’s most famous waterfall, as it plunges into Hvítá Canyon. Next, you will stop in the Haukadalur geothermal area to witness the eruption of the Strokkur geyser. After a delicious lunch, drive across the Hellisheiði mountain plateau, blanketed with postglacial lava fields. Back in Reykjavík, enjoy sweeping views of the city from here before returning to your ship.
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Scenic Vistas & Coastal Villages
Day 7 – Torshavn, Faroe Islands

SIGHTSEEING

Discover the rural beauty of the Faroe Islands during a scenic excursion along coastal roads to bucolic villages. In Kollafjørdur, visit an old Faroese church whose black-tarred wooden frame and traditional turf roof have been standing along the shore since 1837. One of nine churches built on the islands during the mid-19th century, it still maintains a simple, unvarnished wooden interior. In Saksun, nestled at the end of the road above a round bay, take in idyllic views before embarking on a tour of Dúvugardar, a 300-year-old farmhouse that is now a national heritage museum. Browse its informative exhibits offering a realistic portrait of the life of a Faroese farmer from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. Between stops in the villages, pause at scenic viewpoints in Selatrad and Kaldbak, where you will have an opportunity to admire the stark beauty of the Kaldbak and Kollafjørdur fjords as they unfold below.

ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

just some of the things planned for the upcomming holiday. getting excited as the holiday draws nearer after all these wasted years with this covid business

Best of luck

AS it was an all Australian cruise from Port Douglas in Far North Queensland to Brisbane in seems the pre departure checks just are not in place. Lucky here wasn’t an outbreak of kangaroo fever as well, they all would be hopping mad

I don’t know how you worked that out, as the article said it started in the crew (they are usually European).

There are 118 confirmed cases, including 114 crew and four passengers who have tested positive to the virus, Queensland’s Chief Health Officer (CHO) confirmed on Tuesday afternoon.

more like Carnival Australia, which represents Princess Cruises, are to blame. the Princess line has had this happen before. I can’t remember other cruise lines having outbreaks as often or even having ones.

Maybe it is just a case of the wallaby wobbles instead

I hope you have a supply of Lateral Flow test kits packed, RS :mask:

Don’t need them Mags the medical team on board test any person showing covid symptoms and do random tests on passangers as well. This company appear to go to extremes to prevent covid on board.
Like any travel company the last thing they want is to get a reputation as covid carriers s they will loose customers.
My sister two weeks ago went to a trefoil guide meeting in wales and caught covid ,so more at risk there than on board ship as no pre requisition covid test asked for or even proof of being vaccinated.

also a requirement all passangers have to have a Lateral flow test within 3 days of departure and provide authorised test station documentation

Yes I can understand that RS but you still stand the risk of catching Covid when you leave the ship for various day trips.

I think he is relying on his determination not to catch it, Mags. :slightly_smiling_face:

Mags no more than walking down a high street over here, I think you may be a wee bit paranoid about it to be honest, and i/we are not throwing away an £11,000+ holday just incase. Cruise ships have excellent medical facilities, really urgent cases get helicoptered to the neariest hospital
Me thinks you are becomming a little envious

Rather be paranoid & alive, than blase & dead. Just sayin’ :woman_shrugging:

I am certainly not envious of you RS, far from it as I have just returned from a wonderful holiday with my family and wouldn’t wish for anything else. We looked after our own safety in those weeks and didn’t rely on others

Paranoid??? You make me laugh! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I don’t think it’s just you, Mags. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Camping in a tent in the middle of a field miles from anywhere is not exactly my idea of a holiday Mags. nor is sitting around a hotel pool in the hope someone isn’t going to grab your deck chair either

Nor mine now, although I used to love camping in my younger days. Nature at its best!

We rent a luxury apartment these days.

so you cook at home and do exactly the same in a rented luxury apartment. not only that but having to do the daily chores like make the bed cook breakfast and wash the dishes. eeeeerrrrrr some kind of holliday is that

Exactly, RS, you can’t be doing with all that; you already have enough to worry about with how you are going to carry your video camera. :thinking:

There is nothing wrong with that RS, what jobs do you give up when you are away?

Mags none I avoid doing jobs at home even if I am allowed to