Our next holiday

I am very fond of black pudding as well as brawn, I can still buy the latter but haven’t seen the former for years.

When I was young we used to go with my old man to Ashford Market to buy a pig’s head to make brawn - one of my few regrets is that I never learned from him how to make it because his was very good.

Am still fond of brains too though they are much harder to get these days.

Oh Bruce, I can’t read any more, it puts my off my lunch. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

As for brains, I think that mostly went out the window after the Mad Cow Disease (CJD) a few years back. It make sme feel real queasy even thinking about eating anything’s brain - revolting.

1 Like

update on our travel documents

A document Viking required of their own called “Varify” has now been removed for our travel to Norway etc. This document was a Viking short cut to proof of covid vaccination. At least one more hoop less to jump through. We got no email conformation about it but Sue spotted it on the booking and I rang them to confirm

It’s delicious, Mups, so is white pudding! Both essential components of a full Irish Breakfast.

Well you can have my share too, Tabby.
I’m good like that. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

We used to have hogs pudding in Cornwall as well. One of joys long gone . I remember going to the local village butcher and buying half or a whole one when I was a kid

What is white pudding? I know about the black one, being blood and oats etc, but white?

Cornish Hogs Pudding – Harvest Bundle.

1 Like

Thanks for that RS…I’ll pass though, leave more for the rest of you! :smiley:

Traditional Irish White pudding is similar to black pudding, but does not include blood. Modern recipes consist of suet or fat, oatmeal or barley, breadcrumbs and in some cases pork and pork liver, filled into a natural or cellulose sausage casing. Recipes in previous centuries included a wider range of ingredients.

I buy mine in Sainsbury’s.

1 Like

I’m sure they are quite lovely! I’ll not be partaking though :smiley:

I felt the same about Haggis - until I actually tasted it - and liked it.

1 Like

I too felt the same about haggis. Tasted it, and still loathe it! :frowning_face: Just not a meaty person I’m afraid… :woman_shrugging: Oh wait…veggie haggis! Now thats delicious! :smiley: beans, beans, and more beans. Spicy too!

1 Like

Oooh - haven’t tried that - yet! Sounds tasty.

1 Like

Sounds like RS will be wallowing in blood on his next holiday. Can’t wait to see the videos.

wrong Bruce I don’t like haggis

just been looking at what is left on our holiday ie extn days before or after . virtually every holiday extension is booked. for example Extend Your Cruise with 3 Nights in Greenland From £3,749 Per Person SOLD OUT that is on top of the holiday cost and individual special days out. I recon some must be paying in the region of £15/20,000 per couple on this cruise if not more. Ours is costing more than we could have afforded if we had not got the previous cancelled cruise bonus from the company

moved

Vigur Island

Day 11 – ĺsafjördur, Iceland

SPECIAL INTEREST

SIGHTSEEING

SNACK

Set sail amid beautiful seascapes to an enchanting island with diverse birdlife and warm hospitality. You will depart Ísafjördur’s harbor and sail the Djupfjord to the island of Vigur. The spear-shaped island has earned a strong reputation for bird-watching in Iceland, and is home to magnificent birdlife during early summer. Arctic terns often soar overhead, sharing their island home with puffins, eider ducks, and black guillemots. Despite being the second largest island in Ísafjördur Bay, the island has only 10 inhabitants, whose friendly welcome awaits you. You will meet the locals and learn how they live off the land by harvesting the down of the eider, a northern sea duck. The softest, lightest down in the world, eiderdown is extremely rare, in great demand and highly prized. You will also enjoy refreshments served by the farmer’s family in a mid-19th-century home before your return sail to Ísafjördur.
tttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

The Islands of Giske & Godøy
Day 5 – Ålesund, Norway
SNACK
SIGHTSEEING

Visit spectacular Nordic islands via a coastal network of bridges and undersea tunnels.

You will meet your guide at our berth and enjoy a scenic drive to Giske, the alleged birthplace of the Viking Chieftain Rollo. Saga Island, as it is locally called, is a beautiful swath of flat and fertile land. You will stop at its historic stone church dating to 1150. This vision in white was built for the mighty Giske family; you can step inside if its schedule of services allows. Continue to Godøy Island, to the small fishing village of Alnes. If you would like, you can climb the stairs of the old lighthouse for sweeping ocean views. Later, enjoy home-baked cake and coffee or tea before returning to Ålesund and your awaiting ship.
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

The Golden Circle

Day 12 – Reykjavík, Iceland
UNESCO

SIGHTSEEING

NATURAL WORLD

Witness otherworldly, spellbinding landscapes as you tour the fabled “Island of Fire and Ice.” Iceland’s volcanic and glacial activity make it one of the world’s most dramatic spots for unspoiled splendor. You will drive with your guide to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Thingvellir National Park, where Iceland’s first national assembly was founded in 930 AD. Visit this Viking site, then continue to Gullfoss to marvel at the “Golden Falls,” the nation’s most famous waterfall, as it plunges into Hvítá Canyon. Next, you will stop in the Haukadalur geothermal area to witness the eruption of the Strokkur geyser. After a delicious lunch, drive across the Hellisheiði mountain plateau, blanketed with postglacial lava fields. Back in Reykjavík, enjoy sweeping views of the city from here before returning to your ship.
ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

Scenic Vistas & Coastal Villages
Day 7 – Torshavn, Faroe Islands

SIGHTSEEING

Discover the rural beauty of the Faroe Islands during a scenic excursion along coastal roads to bucolic villages. In Kollafjørdur, visit an old Faroese church whose black-tarred wooden frame and traditional turf roof have been standing along the shore since 1837. One of nine churches built on the islands during the mid-19th century, it still maintains a simple, unvarnished wooden interior. In Saksun, nestled at the end of the road above a round bay, take in idyllic views before embarking on a tour of Dúvugardar, a 300-year-old farmhouse that is now a national heritage museum. Browse its informative exhibits offering a realistic portrait of the life of a Faroese farmer from the Middle Ages to the 20th century. Between stops in the villages, pause at scenic viewpoints in Selatrad and Kaldbak, where you will have an opportunity to admire the stark beauty of the Kaldbak and Kollafjørdur fjords as they unfold below.

ttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

just some of the things planned for the upcomming holiday. getting excited as the holiday draws nearer after all these wasted years with this covid business