Our next holiday

Just a couple of the day trips we have booked today. The company we are going with have only just opened up to book day trip tours and already a good number of “slots” have been filled. However we managed to book what we wanted to see.Looks as if people with the most expensive travel/holiday arrangements get first pick, Bit unfair if you ask me b ut that is seemingly how Viking work. When we had our first cruise we booked onboard ship, quickly learn’t not to do this again and book as soon as day out trips become available

This is the one Sue wanted as it it covers two tectonic plates (all day with food etc)

The Golden Circle
Reykjavík, Iceland
NATURAL WORLD

Witness otherworldly, spellbinding landscapes as you tour the fabled “Island of Fire and Ice.” Iceland’s volcanic and glacial activity make it one of the world’s most dramatic spots for unspoiled splendor. You will drive with your guide to the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Thingvellir National Park, where Iceland’s first national assembly was founded in 930 AD. Visit this Viking site, then continue to Gullfoss to marvel at the “Golden Falls,” the nation’s most famous waterfall, as it plunges into Hvítá Canyon. Next, you will stop in the Haukadalur geothermal area to witness the eruption of the Strokkur geyser. After a delicious lunch, drive across the Hellisheiði mountain plateau, blanketed with postglacial lava fields. Back in Reykjavík, enjoy sweeping views of the city from here before returning to your ship.

this is the one I want to see on another day

Vigur Island
ĺsafjördur, Iceland
SPECIAL INTEREST

SIGHTSEEING

SNACK

Set sail amid beautiful seascapes to an enchanting island with diverse birdlife and warm hospitality. You will depart Ísafjördur’s harbor and sail the Djupfjord to the island of Vigur. The spear-shaped island has earned a strong reputation for bird-watching in Iceland, and is home to magnificent birdlife during early summer. Arctic terns often soar overhead, sharing their island home with puffins, eider ducks, and black guillemots. Despite being the second largest island in Ísafjördur Bay, the island has only 10 inhabitants, whose friendly welcome awaits you. You will meet the locals and learn how they live off the land by harvesting the down of the eider, a northern sea duck. The softest, lightest down in the world, eiderdown is extremely rare, in great demand and highly prized. You will also enjoy refreshments served by the farmer’s family in a mid-19th-century home before your return sail to Ísafjördur.

Just stay WELL clear of “hákarl” if you get offered any - as you probably will!

will do thanks, don’t want to fart that bites :rofl: Oh had to look that up

Why? it sounds like exactly the thing to try at least the once. What is the point of travelling to foreign parts if you don’t try the local food?

Did that in Tunisia with trying out local wine, I swear it was camel pee it was that bad. Some things our stomachs are not use to can ruin a holiday so best to avoid.
For example you my well be used to eating Kangaroo testicles as it may well be the Australian National dish ,but I would throw up at even the thought

Hardly seems much point in going abroad if you don’t experience everything they have to offer. I must admit I failed in Cambodia with deep fried cockroaches but at least I tried

I understand from another thread that Iceland is giving the over 60s a 10% discount so you’ll be quids in there.

As for testicles, for weak stomachs like yours we call them sweetbreads, I’ll throw some on the barbie for you.

1 Like

all food is in the ship but some days out lunch is included. Don’t want to pay extra for local food from a local shop. Bruce have you even been on a cruise?

What you mean one of these?

Yes!

Hope I am not interfering, but loads of people think sweetbreads are an animal’s testicles, but they are not really. I knew they are glands of some sort, but looked it up to see which glands.

This explains it better than I can:

Is sweetbread a testicle?

Sweetbreads are subject to much confusion, and are often mistakenly believed to be the testicles of an animal. In fact, they’re two separate glands - the thymus gland (from the throat) and the pancreas gland (from the heart or stomach) that are taken from calves or lambs.

Even so, I still don’t fancy 'em, so you can have my helping Bruce. :smiley:

1 Like

Speedy, what do you do with your little Teazel when you go away?
Do family have her?

I can’t see the attraction of Iceland myself I want heat and sun .
Having said that if I was going somewhere cold it would be to Patagonia .

They definitely are!

Also from Wilipedia:

Various other glands used as food may also sometimes be called “sweetbreads”, including the parotid gland (“cheek” or “ear” sweetbread), the sublingual glands (“tongue” sweetbreads or “throat bread”) as well as ovary and testicles.[5][6]

Aagghh. Don’t save any for me at the BAR-B thank you, Bruce. :grin:

I like some sweetbreads intestines are nice

Ooh I couldn’t, Muddy, not even if I was paid to.
But I also can’t eat liver, kidney, or any of that internal stuff, and I think I’d die on the spot if I had to eat a heart! image

I do buy liver for Mungo although sometimes Mr M will steal a bit .
He also steals what used to be the ‘dogs cheese ‘ strong cheddar for agility training .

Yes, my old Mups who I lost at Christmas used to love Liver, but I had to have the windows and back door open while cooking it because I hate the smell even. And when its raw its all blood soaked and slippery. Aaahahhh . . . . . .

|'d best shut up. I’m disrupting Realspeed’s thread. :slightly_smiling_face:

Seems odd to cook food for dogs, all my kid’s dogs get raw meat, raw offal, raw egg etc (as well as kibble and the like). My only observation is that a lot of the stuff the butcher used to virtually give away when I had a dog are now trendy food and too expensive for dogs - I am thinking Lamb Shanks etc

On the bright side Australians are not great offal eaters like the British so there is still plenty of cheap meat available. The problem is I still like offal :frowning:

if ya talkin offal lets mention black puddings - a delicacy of the north of england and populars with the poms in ozzie! and I do believe parts of Spain like them in various forms as they drain off all the blood from their slaughted pigs?

Ooh Gummy, I’ve never tried that, either.
Don’t fancy black pudding one bit. :worried: