Our Chippies will soon be closing down

According to a man called Andrew Crook, of the National Federation of Fish Friers, up to 3,000 of our UK chippies will have to close down over the next couple of years because of rocketing costs.

They say some 40% of imported fish is from Russia, which is now sanctioned, and 50% of Sunflower Oil used by chippies is from Ukraine.

An 18kg case of of Cod cost £150 before the pandemic, now it has shot up to £230.
They said “A large Cod & Chips is going to have to go to around £12 - £12.”

He added: " We are going to put our prices up in a customer base that’s also feeling the pinch. I have never known such a disastrous set of circumstances."

Looks like it’ll be goodbye Fish & chips soon, because I can’t imagine anyone paying those prices, can you?

1 Like

On the plus side it might give fish stocks a bit of a chance to recover in some areas.

1 Like

That will please mushroom growers

1 Like

No, but judging from the portion sizes they’ve been showing on the TV news recently, they could do with reducing the size by at least 2/3rds and charging around £4.50-5.00 a portion. That way, even those who are skint most the time should be more easily able to afford them.

1 Like

This is what happens when governments allow our country to become 100% dependent upon foreign supplies.

Very little, even when people think of it as a British company, actually is. For example, Boots the high street pharmacist, with branches on almost every high street, it is 45% owned by US company Walgreens. Rolls Royce is owned by BMW. The contracts to run almost all of Britain’s trains are held by foreign companies. Over 70% of our Water companies are foreign owned. And that Mini with the lovely union Jack flag rear lights, it’s really a BMW & not very British at all.

3 Likes

And Bentley cars is owned by Volkswagen.

1 Like

I guess to be fair Fish & chips are an introduced food, as they were first put together in the late 1800’s by a Jewish immigrant. And I think he may even have come from Russia, or that sort of area. So maybe their creation & demise is going to be Russian in origin.

3 Likes

I think this website might have the real answer, Gee.

4 Likes

The Germans tried to “Bomb Our Chip Shops”!

It didn’t work!

Then the EU tried to batter them with regulations and that didn’t work either!

What will, eventually, kill them off if the price going up beyond our means!

When you bought it, in a paper bag, and nipped the corner off, to allow the salty vinegar to run into your mouth, you were hooked!

As for being forced to accept gourmet batter, where did that come from?

It was never meant to be a posh, expensive meal (on a plate) - get back to the old ways!

6 Likes

The BBC did an article, not long ago, in which they nailed down the first ever Fish & Chip Shops, in the UK, to either Harrogate, or Whitby., it could have been either, by a whisker!

3 Likes

On the rare occasion I nip out for cod & Chips for us two, I but just a large piece of fish with an accompanying portion of chips. That divided between the two of us is more than ample. If I’m buying for our two nurses as well, then I’ll but two portions of F&C and we all have plenty to fill us up :+1:

5 Likes

There’s only one way to beat the price rises of our fish and chips !!
And that is to take control of our fishing grounds again and limit who
can fish in them!
We would then be more in control of the price, and it would provide a
substantial number of jobs too !!
This country has been run down our own incompetent government’s
for decades, all they think of is financials ?
But you can’t eat money can you ??
BTW l payed £15 for haddock & chips and mushy peas whilst visiting
Cambridge last week end !
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

3 Likes

You should have made the journey into Norfolk. One of our favourite seaside town fish & ship shops does a fish & chips meal, with mushy peas, bread & butter & a drink for just under £11. And the quality & portions are great.

And in Norwich we have several decently priced City Centre chippies, who are also winners of national awards.

1 Like

Why is our country like fish and chips? Because bother have had a good battering

2 Likes

The rest of the world do fried fish with boiled rice, makes more sense, more agreeable.

But we all have teen memories of greasy newspaper in shop doorways on a Saturday night.

3 Likes

I live quite near seaside towns and there are loads of good fish and chip shops, I wonder if they’ll all survive?

The best chippie in town used to do a senior citizens cod, chips, mushy peas bread and butter and a cup of tea for £9.95 sit in the restaurant but it was in the paper this week he’s stopped it :frowning:

1 Like

Yes I used to occasionally get the " pensioners portion" too, Maree.
I had never heard of it until a friend told me about it, so I gave it a try and was pleasantly surprised to find it was just the right size portion for me, rather than the usual bucket full of wasted chips.
Haven’t bought fish & chips for ages now though.

2 Likes

I well remember our chippie when I was growing up. It was 4d or 6d a portion. One shilling for a double portion and 1/6d for a fish supper. Cheap n cheerful no fuss.

1 Like

Just have Donner and Chips instead.

I love fish & chips, but they don’t love me :frowning_face: Fish & chips was always a Wednesday night routine when I was a kid, eating out of the newspaper while watching Coronation Street with my grandparents. Good times.

1 Like