Osteoarthritis problems

Was diagnosed with this - in both knees - about a month ago and referred by my GP to the new Community Stadium for an individual exercise plan. Met with my ‘trainer’ today for the first time and WOW - he is gorgeous! Big blue eyes with lashes about 3 inches long, at least 7ft tall and built like an anorexic racing snake!

He took my medical history - read the GP referral letter very carefully - checked my height/weight, checked my BP - very high - I wonder why that was??!!

Did some gentle exercise basically to see what I was already capable of doing. Balance OK, Flexibility OK, Stamina OK - then he started work on the knees. He was very, very gentle - but it hurt like hell.

Next appt Thursday next week.

Walked home very slowly - and it took every ounce of will power I owned not to be seen weeping in the street. Going to take some pain killers and vanish for a while.

Sod the gardening!!

3 Likes

Wow! That sounds so …so … I dunno. I’ve never seen one. :thinking:
You get and rest up Tabby. I never realised it would be so painful.
What do they do? Teach you a set of exercises you can eventually do at home?

2 Likes

I have it in my knees, wrists amd ankles , but the pain is not so bad at the moment, so I try to stay active.
I know you walk a lot Tabby, so your pain must be much worse, but just remember not to make it sound worse, just so you can get to see your handsome trainer more often… or they might refer you to an old ugly one. :laughing:
I broke my wrist a couple of years ago and occasionally get some bad pain. I was given some exercises to do via a hospital in Coventry, and they really helped!

2 Likes

Ouch. I am sorry, it can be very painful but worth it to make sure you keep max mobility. Be brave :hugs:

My mum’s doctor used to recommend taking a painkiller half an hour before starting the gardening and doing several short sessions a week, rather than one long one

Has anyone mentioned treating it with cold?

Some people find applying a warm pack or hot water bottle in the morning to loosen the joints, and then later in the day, an ice pack to reduce inflammation works for them

(And of course, cold water swimming relieves arthritis pain! Sorry!)

I was going to suggest you do your exercises in the pool a couple of times a week. Get into a corner out of the swimmers way. I was given a load of exercises for this as well and it’s far easier in water. As you may know by now I swim most days so I start off with about 15 minutes of exercise, swim my lengths, and finish up for a 20 minute soak in a really hot jacuzzi.

1 Like

Sorry to hear you’re in pain …
My sister has just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis (very painful knees)
She is now paying for physiotherapy , it’s helping.

This pain can be excruciating. I was fortunate to have a surgeon who has replaced both hips and my left knee within 3 years starting in February 2011 at the age of 71 and although I do suffer at times with back pain I can get about most of the time and unaided.

Hope you feel better soon .

1 Like

Tabby, I am sure having this dishy Adonis will help enormously. It will certainly inspire you to keep going, more than some miserable old git you can’t get on with.:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:
Good luck with the plan, hope you find it helpful.

(P.s. - and behave yourself, they’ll have cctv). :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

4 Likes

ST ,how do you do it?
I can’t even get a doctor’s appointment let alone be referred to a physiotherapist .

1 Like

Diet can make a difference. Didn’t you change your diet recently? Perhaps it’s connected? There is an arthritis diet as in no “white foods”. Probably all the most yummy foods are on the bad list.

3 Likes

I have heard people talk about the excruciating pain that Osteoarthritis causes. It’s the bones crumbling isn’t it?

ST, l do commiserate with you as l know from what you post on here that you are a very active lady.
It sounds like you are absolutely mesmerised and hypnotised by your trainer. I hope you haven’t dared to wear your stockings and suspenders at your sessions.
Oh my… pass the smelling salts …

1 Like

If he’s making her weak at the knees I don’t think he’s helping.

2 Likes

I too have arthritis in my hands but it seems to move about. Sometimes it is in a couple of fingers, sometimes the thumb, at the moment it is in my right wrist and has nearly caused me to drop things when I pick them up badly, so sharp is the pain. I hope it will move on soon.

1 Like

Thought about it - decided shorts were more practical !

1 Like

It has been coming on for while, Annie, long before I moved onto the healthier diet plan. I blame years at Ballet School - making the knees do things they were not designed to do! Hopefully losing weight will help.

Thank you for the interesting links though - had not realised that foods could aggravate the condition. I don’t eat much sugar or fried food, could happily do without alcohol - but life without cheese? Arrggh !

1 Like

Spoil sport!

I can’t swim - but if I stuck to the shallow end I should be OK. Will mention to my ‘Trainer’ . I am under his care for the next 12 weeks and will follow him anywhere his instructions.

3 Likes

I am lucky to have a very supportive GP. She is a proper ‘old fashioned’ GP - not one of the ones who has one eye on the computer and the other on the clock. Goodness knows what I will do if/when she retires!

1 Like

haha yes it’s just too yummy :smiley:

1 Like

How are you today, Tabs?