Old Friends

Have you ever met up with old friends fro you past , who you lost touch withyears ago ? I often feel Id like to meet up with old friends but so far have not met any. I tried a couple of ’ Where are You ’ sites saying who I was looking for but got no replies

Have you looked on FB you may find them on there , perhaps theres a school you went to that is on there or an Area /Town you could try that .
Ive found people i know like that

I used 192.com with some success.

Type in the name & location & it will bring up every person with that name in the area. You can whittle the search down a lot by looking at the age group.

1 Like

No, I have never met old friends. I left home at 18, married a Service man at 21 and only made transient friends over the next twenty years. On my divorce I again moved home and have never had contact with anyone from my past.

When Mum died (a few years ago) her youngest cousin, who I’d not seen since I was in my teens, attended.
She was nice and we send Xmas cards now.

Old friends … about 3 years ago I met up with a couple of guys I was at art college with.

I certainly wouldn’t want to meet any girls I was at school with (an all girls gramnar school) :confused:

I think Friends Reunited closed? but maybe there’s a local Facebook group, as has been mentioned.

I met up with an old school friend who was very artistic, fun and a bit old fashioned.
I met her in our fourties, she wasn’t recognisable as the person I’d known.
Very strange appearance, round glasses white ankle socks, very religious, didn’t do art anymore ( her drawings were fabulous at school) and totally obsessed with her young lodger who obviously wasn’t interested.
Very odd!

I would love to meet up with the young man I was engaged to in my early 20s - tall, dark, handsome and Canadian. Serving in the RAF at the time. His father had been killed in WW2 - mum had married again - his step-dad was vicar at Worcester Cathedral. I would just like to know that he was well and happy.

Genes Reunited might be an idea

It’s a Faamily History site (as you know) but it could bring up some info for you

I found a friend after being recommended a site for people looking for friends they’d known in the forces.
I hadn’t been in the forces, nor had my friend but an ex policeman who was really interested in helping people, traced my friend and we got in touch after 50 years.
I think the site eventually closed but there may be a similar one?

Dont leave us all hanging Silver Tabby what happened ? :slight_smile:

Silver Tabby’s post did remind me that about twenty years ago I met a former fiance of mine. I was the one who ended it. We chatted, and he invited me to go to his home for dinner as his wife was away. I made my excuses and left rapidly.:lol:

We have plenty of friendly acquaintances, but only three people we would regard as close friends. One of them is the girl I was friendly with at school, she was one of my bridesmaids. Sadly she is in poor health.:frowning:

I’ve met with old friends in the past and although enjoyed catching up I felt I had nothing in common with them anymore so haven’t bothered again . I think we change and grow in life and recognise this from both sides . It’s nice to know that they are well and happy though .

That last sentence does remind me the News Of The World newspaper!
I met up with a former friend from work that I had lost touch with through Friends Reunited which does not exist any more. We still keep in touch on Facebook and meet up about now and again.
I also found an old friend that I knew had emigrated to USA in 1975 by searching on Facebook for his name and when I saw his profile picture of him on the turret of a tank with goggles on, I knew it could not be anyone else. He came over last year and a few of us got together to talk about old times.

I regularly meet acquaintances who I’m friendly with rather than friends,all of a sudden I meet with one whom I’ve not seen in ages and think you’ve aged,forgetting I must look the same.

On a trip to UK about 6 years ago, I was sat having a coffee when this woman came over to me and said…“gosh you haven’t changed at all”, she then proceeded to talk about what we got up to at school, people in our class etc etc. Obviously it was someone I was at school with, but I was too embarrassed to ask who she was and I really hadn’t got a clue. After a few minutes she rushed off to catch a bus, thank goodness. I still don’t know who it was, despite going through a few old school photos.

OLD fRIENDS NEVER DIE? SOME DO ; SOME IN OUR SAME LANE AND SOME JUST VANISH!

Yep I’m in that searching game - I’ll start with the easy ones and then give you the near impossible!

well two take the golden globe awards - known one since the early sixties who had kept in touch - came out to Oz to see me and I back to UK to see him and he died 13th June this year - I have watched his funeral four times now on ZOOM. And the second still going strong who officiated at the other guys funeral and has also been out to see me in Oz and his son in Nz. Small world heh?

Kept in touch sparodically with a Scots mate of mine in UK who I visited back in 2000 approx who expired on me and his family maybe 10 yrs ago - the memory fails and I don’t keep such notes - I should really - a lways telling folk to keep regular update diaries?

Tell you more next time perhaps - like the ones in USA abd CA and some even got here before me in Oz! - We are a moving feast are we not?

I have mixed feelings on this subject. Sure, it can be fun to catch up on old times with friends and acquaintances, I’ve done it. Then again in my heart of hearts I’m much more comfortable accepting that the past is the past, people change so just enjoy (or not) the memories.

Anyone remember Friends Reunited? That really was quite something at the time, I met a girl that used to be in my class for a couple of drinks in Richmond and that must have been twenty odd years ago, time does fly!

Yeah, Friends Reunited was a great ground breaking concept, the only thing I found strange was the fact, some of the kids I had labeled as uneducated Tosspots were now successful millionaires :laughing: :icon_wink:

gummy, respect for digging around in the archive.

1 Like

That’s so true Spitty…one chap who was a pal when I was really young and a bit of a bad boy is now a very successful millionaire with his own aviation business…he is the one who funded my daughter in law’s medical treatment abroad when as a family we really needed help…weird how people turn out… so pleased for him though.