Okay, I'm the new guy this very second

Hi!
I’m Sean. Retired USAF.
I’m 54. I am at the tail end of a 177lb weight loss thank God.
Was once insulin dependent, and no longer require any medicaton for diabetes…they can’t remove that diagnosis from my chart, so let’s call me a recovering diabetic. Had a bunch of other problems due to morbid obesity that have corrected as well, and oh man I am happy!
It was not an easy journey, but I have learned oh so much about nutrition, and even more about myself.

It is my pleasure to have found these forums. I always seem to have more to say than ears to hear the words, and my wife would agree. I have been with her since we were 17(me) and 16. We graduated together, after having been prom queen and king - that kind of couple yes. She is my breath.
I had a line-of-duty injury that retired me from the Air Force, then worked around ten years in the civilian world until I was unable to work any longer, and have been totally disabled for a long while now. It is nice now though because I am able to do some stuff, a significantly larger amount than in some years past. A blessing I do not wish to waste.
Time is a crazy thing, and the one thing I am clear not to do - Blink!
I look forward to talking to some of ya all.
That is right, I said “ya all,” and yeh, I have some country boy blood in me. I say sir and ma’am a lot as well. More folks ought to try it IMO.
Good to be here.
Ya all take care & God Bless!
~Sean

5 Likes

Hi Sean!

Welcome to the forum. Hope you find a place for all the words you want to say.

Congratulations on the weight loss! What a great achievement! Maybe you can say some words on how you did it in a future thread.

Have a fun time and enjoy your stay.

3 Likes

Welcome sir.

You’ll fit right in. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hi bro from down under the land of thunder - you can have a lot of fun on here - and get kicked off sometimes!!

1 Like

Welcome from West Sussex Sean!

Enjoy the forum, how very true what you say about time and blinking, scary stuff :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi AStormvet. Welcome to the forum! I’m a Brit but I have family in USA, mostly in Georgia. Weight? I’m 70 kg. I’ll let you work that one out…:slight_smile:

Thx!
I like England. Spent a few weeks at Little Rissington, visited London, Stratford upon Avon & Bourton on the Water :slight_smile: nice

I came up with 154 pounds. Pretty light human being. I’m trying to head more that direction as it’s my desire to reach a 200lb total loss and achieve a 187lb bodyweight. A lofty goal perhaps but it’s mine and I believe it possible .
Nice talking

2 Likes

Stratford a fantastic town, birth place of William Shakespeare. Welcome.

2 Likes

Yes, some lovely parts of England. I’m a Scotsman but I live in Yorkshire now. This is part of The Roman Ridge.

4 Likes

Welcome, from Southern England :blush:

2 Likes

I know! I’m a big fan of the Bard :))

1 Like

FTR, I’m posting my before n after weight loss pic. This is from 387lbs to 210lbs.
I’m striving for 187, making a 200 total loss.
I believe it possible and I’m willing to put the work in.

I gotta say I’m kinda hesitant to have this online though. I’m a married man ok? Not trying to advertise or date, simply trying to share and if I can inspire someone I’d love that.
If I can be of help with your weight loss questions please feel free to DM me.

2 Likes

Hello Sean :slightly_smiling_face: a very warm welcome to Over50sChat, I hope you enjoy your time here.

1 Like

Yes, The Bard. You might like J. M. Barrie. He was a playwright, novelist and the creator of Peter Pan

Hi Sean and a big welcome from me. Just jump in and have fun.
Incredible weight loss regime buddy, congratulations.

Well done, a new man it certainly makes look younger. I had to lose weight because of pre diabetes. Lost 35Ibs. Now weight is 147lbs which suits me but not the doc.

Hi Sean welcome along. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes in November last year. With the help of medication, diet changes and exercise I’ve been able to get my readings down to the pre diabetic levels. (just)
Well done for your massive weight loss, you look amazing and I know how hard it must have been. Big respect buddy. :sunglasses::clap::clap::clap:

1 Like

Thanks so much for the kind words.
I don’t think of it, but yeh it WAS hard looking back. I’m just really very stubborn so once I determine I HAVE to do something, I set about the task and like a dog with a bone…
Of course my sweet wife motivated and supported me tons. I wanted so badly to be better for her sake it helped a bunch.
Then there was the bathroom mirror, and the big ugly fat guy I kept seeing in it. That jerk wouldn’t leave me alone ! It took a while to chase him away lol

Now, there’s 23lbs left. I can do this. I’m trying to be patient.
At this point it’s a body fat recomposition thing. I’m building lean muscle and losing fat. Muscle weighing more than fat will skew the scale weight for a month or two. If and When I reach 187, it’ll be a lean and muscular 187. Lean and muscular takes time and discipline. I’ll keep trying but Lordy I’m working out daily! And eating 1.5-2.0g protein per lb of body weight and little else…that’s challenging at times but then there’s this flashing sign goal ahead

3 Likes

Hello and welcome to the forums Sean, well done on your weight loss and you look great.
I’m from the UK in the west midlands Redditch Worcestershire. Born and raised in Worcester city and moved to Redditch about 30 odd years ago.
How much can you do gardening wise with your disability?

Hear, hear. :wink:

Welcome sir, and long may you post.

I live in the West Country of England, but spent many a time working and taking holidays (vacations) in the USA, including a lot of time spent inside research facilities at USAF Dayton and Tullahoma. Having an armed guard posted outside the door of where my colleagues and I were working was a bit of a cultural shock.
I still have friends in the USA, and of all the people I met and worked with, I only ever found two Yanks I didn’t like, and one of them wasn’t too bad once I got to know him.

Congratulations on the weight loss. It cannot have been easy.

Fruity