OK I can't see anything going wrong here

I’ll go back on lock down in the mean time. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Whatever he said :point_up: @PixieKnuckles

:grin:

3 Likes

Ok, I can’t see anything going wrong (with that) :joy:

2 Likes

Hey if I had gone to the Department of Motor Vehicles this morning in just my knickers I might have gotten out sooner. Just not to the destination I wanted. :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

4 Likes

There are still choices to be made as to how much we depend on technology. I realise that in some ways we are being ‘forced’ to use it by the way companies are using it thus ‘encouraging’ us to use it too.

If you had my landline there is no chance of having a phobia about it as it’s worse than useless. That is due to big business (BT) British Telecom / Openreach failing to allow customers to have the latest fibre. Instead we have to rely on copper wiring of the network which, like mine is 70 years’ old, unless of course we pay more each month.

Yes, living in a cave must have been a bundle of laughs! That and other things like going hungry for one reason or another, having all kinds of illnesses probably also accounts for a very short life in those times.

Well I can if there’s one to speak to (rather than a robot). I agree with you there though in the case of some youngsters who don’t seem to be able to hold a face-to-face conversation, instead they are far too busy, busy, looking at the screen of their mobiles (probably texting the person standing next to them). Soon the day will come when language as we know it disappears with them reduced to grunting to each other!
:thinking: :upside_down_face: :grinning:

3 Likes

:joy: Yes well…we will never know now! Opportunity missed…or was it?! :thinking:

1 Like

I have nothing to add with regard to your comment, Baz, but I am very impressed with your multiple quoting ability! :+1:

4 Likes

Magic Mike :038:

3 Likes

I was referring to the 60s and 70s. Contrary to popular belief I really did not co-sign the patent for dirt. :crazy_face: :crazy_face:

1 Like

Apologies, I misunderstood your meaning and took it as written. The decades you quote are well known to me, I was 14 at the start of the 60s and 34 at the end of the 70s. Computers had just started coming in to the trade in which I worked by the early 80s, the start of a real learning curve which continues to this day. Take OFC software as an example of this, as many on here will know only too well!
:upside_down_face: :grinning:

3 Likes

I learned computers using a Commodore Vic-20, taught myself Basic. then I got my first “real” computer, 5.25-inch diskettes, that’s when I taught myself Dos. It has been very interesting watching the progression. Those days seem almost ethereal compared to now.

2 Likes

The first cell phone was invented in 1973 by Motorola.
The phone was priced at $3,995, which is the equivalent of $10,000 today.

Amazing! You could make calls or club a mugger to death, but that was about it. Oh, yeah your battery life was 30 minutes. LOL :rofl:

4 Likes

dom-joly-phone

2 Likes

Just read this
1985: Comedian Ernie Wise made the first “public” mobile phone call in the UK from outside the Dicken’s Pub in St Catherine’s dock to Vodafone’s HQ. He made the call in full Dickensian coachman’s garb.
I did not know this.

3 Likes

Me neither…that’s interesting!

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles if you liked that then

1992: The world’s first ever SMS message was sent in the UK. Neil Papworth, aged 22 at the time was a developer for a telecom contractor tasked with developing a messaging service for Vodafone. The text message read “Merry Christmas” and was sent to Richard Jarvis, a director at Vodafone, who was enjoying his office Christmas party.

Seems the UK was leading the way. :sweat: :sweat:

3 Likes

My first mobile…

4 Likes

Looks like my first as well.

Yes I think mine was like that…I played snake a lot…:astonished:

3 Likes

What I like about it was if battery ran flat, I could whip some AA’s in instead and carry on using it.

2 Likes