Off to hospital for a few procedures

@Mart, you’ve made great strides already by taking care of yourself, and getting home! Keep thinking positive, and all of us here on the forum will do our part of keeping you and your wife in our thoughts!

You’ve given me a reason to smile and the day has just begun. :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks all - I’m not really brave dOOd. :slight_smile:

As well as getting this off my chest, I also hope this thread serves to let others know what might be expected and even normal. Perhaps this especially applies to us men of a certain age. The doctors and nurses will mention these effects but it never really hits home how nasty the aftermath can be for a patient until they are actually experienced. If anyone should get prostate or bladder problems, maybe a thread like this one will be informative and say what can be expected and that times will get better.

4 Likes

Glad everything went ok Mart and that you feel like you’re recovering - which seems pretty quick if you’re already up and about, if it was me I’d probably stay in bed for a week, that is if I didn’t fait after seeing all that blood come out of me :lol:

Do any of your children or grandchildren live nearby who could help while you get better?

1 Like

We have nearby family but me and Mrs mart are pretty good at catering for each other’s problems, so we don’t often need their help. It would be thought that yesterday would take some getting over (in view of what was done) but it isn’t the sort of thing that hurts or is debilitating all the time. I feel pretty much OK apart from potty time. :slight_smile:

Just got back from the doctor’s from having the LHRH injection into my stomach. That’s a slow release capsule that lasts a month. It will be a three monthly capsule next time. It contains a female hormone that suppresses messages from the brain that tells the male naughty bits to make testosterone. This helps contain prostate cancer. I’m still having to shave every day though. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Not sure if it’s of any interest to you Mart, but some people have had great results from the carnivore diet and prostate issues/cancer:

All cells express appropriate hormone receptors on their surface membranes. Prostate cells express testosterone receptors and hormone/androgen deprivation therapy drives testosterone levels very low. But all cells express insulin receptors and cancer cells express an over abundance of insulin receptors because they need to collect a huge amount of glucose to drive their growth.

That’s why I’m now targeting with my no-plant (zero carb) diet, an extremely low insulin level to deprive cancer cells of glucose. You could call it “Insulin Deprivation Therapy”.

Meanwhile, normal cells can get their energy requirements from fatty acids and ketones (which cancer cells can’t use because of their uniquely deranged / damaged metabolism).

1 Like

Thanks for that Azz - I’ll give that some thought. It’s all worth a try. With treatment and care, men can live for years after a prostate cancer diagnosis.

1 Like

Back to the hospital tomorrow for an unscheduled visit. It looks like the Nephrostomy tube is coming out of the kidney. More of it is visible than there was and the water in the bag and bladder is a dark rosé colour. The first time I’ve felt a bit scared and distressed with it all. Afraid to move. We’ve taped it up for now.

2 Likes

Even a little blood can look very alarming because of the iron.The doctors will know right what to do. Take care and find something to distract your mind. Sending good thoughts your way.

1 Like

Think I need an hour or two to regain a stoic attitude.

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that Mart, try and secure it the best you can and try not to move too much. Lets hope it hasn’t come out and you are just taking up the slack. Any swelling or discomfort don’t be a hero and go to A&E Good wishes are winging their way Mart…

1 Like

A visit has been arranged for tomorrow with a doctor from the Urology department. If the tube needs pushing back into place, a scanner is needed so they can see where it is going.

4 Likes

Hello Mart

Reading your posts saddens me–I just hope all is well…that tubes stay put. Sending you and Mrs Mart best wishes for a speedy recovery…

2 Likes

The doctor has looked at the tube. It has moved and is pulling on the stitches but since the bag is still filling, it means it is OK enough to take care and just leave it with extra taping to stop it pulling further. The bleeding has stopped.

6 Likes

That’s good news mart and a reassurance for you too.

2 Likes

Got a phone call from Radiology today. It has been decided the Nephrostomy tube and bag will be removed on Friday morning (30 minute appointment). Good news because I’ll be self-contained again. On the other hand, worrying how the bladder will cope with what presently goes into the bag.

5 Likes

I know nothing about these things, Mart, but I’m fairly sure your bladder will be happy to do its job again! Our bodies are pretty resilient and like to function well :+1:

2 Likes

I hope so. The trouble is the bladder isn’t in very good condition with prostate cancer. Not sure about the state of the bladder tumour. The walls of the bladder are thickened too. Anyway, I’ll be seeing a urology doctor on the 8th of July. See what the future holds then.

5 Likes

Good luck Mart… :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Hope it goes smoothly for you Mart - you and OGF are both troopers and an inspiration to us all :hugs:

5 Likes

Good luck for tomorrow Mart, hope it all goes well for you.

3 Likes