Off to hospital for a few procedures

good luck Mart…I hope all goes well :+1:

2 Likes

It’s the benefits of conversing with similar aged sensible people Mart, comparing notes on our illnesses and troubles has taken over from comparing notes on our athletic pursuits…And you can sometimes learn stuff from folks who have had similar experiences.
All the best mate, and we will be thinking about you and waiting for your report on the food in your particular establishment…I can strongly recommend the DRI (Doncaster Royal Infirmary)… :yum:

5 Likes

Good luck Mart, i hope it goes well and that you’ll be home and recovering quickly - we’lll all be looking forward to hearing you and @OldGreyFox compare notes on hospital performance and treatment etc! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks Azz - I know the one aspect of the hospitals that will compare favourably is the food. Frimley Park Hospital serves choices of excellent food. 3 cooked meals a day when I was there some weeks ago. I ate them all. The ‘made on the premises’ soups were particularly good and they sometimes experiment with food dishes. All really tasty.

I sent my compliments to the chef a number of times. :slight_smile: On the down side, if I am only in there for the afternoon, I’ll only get coffee and a sandwich when I wake up. Maybe a meal if it stretches into the evening.

1 Like

Thanks Brokenvows, LongDriver, Jazzi, dOOd, MargaretF, RightNow, Mags, PixieKnuckles, susiejaeger, Kazz, summerdancing and wishbone. Thanks again everyone. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Wishing you well, mart. Take good care.

2 Likes

Interesting! You’re a surgical TV program in waiting all by yourself. Hope it all goes well.

2 Likes

Thanks butterscotch and Bruce. - Today’s the day for the second attempt . It is quite a saga. Only two episodes I hope. The before and after. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good luck mart :+1:

1 Like

Thanks Ralph (I’m sure you’re not too mad) :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thinking of you today Mart, hope all goes well for you…

2 Likes

Thanks Mags. Just an hour and 10 minutes to departure time.

1 Like

I had the procedures done an got home at 9.00PM in the evening. A little more bleeding was showing in a bladder catheter tube and bag than ideal, so the surgeon came along. He looked at it and thought it was OK enough to go home and I was subsequently discharged.

The trouble is that the prostate biopsy caused some bleeding. Also the tumour cutting did. A rigid cystoscopy causes bleeding in the Urethra due to the stretching of it. The blood should flush out drinking lots of water. My pee was still not very clear even though I did drink cup after cup. The colour of pee was thought OK enough.

All was well until I came to empty the bladder at home. I can’t go normally. A catheter is needed. Great soreness as it went in and by the time I’d done, the bathroom looked like a crime had been committed. The drips of blood just wouldn’t stop once the catheter was removed. I think it was from the Urethra rather than from the bladder. I stuffed a folded handkerchief in the appropriate place in the end (almost literally) and went to bed. The bleeding stopped. It happened again this morning but without so much of a bloodbath as the first time (no dripping blood). The constant bleeding may not happen again if I take things slowly and carefully.

I know from past experience that bleeding is a problem with bladder procedures but they haven’t been quite so bad as this time. I know bleeding will eventually stop but even though experienced, this amount was still a bit scary. I can imagine how much more scary it would be for someone who was a newcomer to it all …or even perhaps reading about the possible aftermath of waterworks operations.

Another worry has occurred as a result of giving the Nephrostomy bag (it stayed) It got a tug as I rolled over to get out of bed. It is stitched in but the water in the tube and bag has turned a bit pink. I’m going to see the practice nurse for another LHRH capsule injection into the stomach. This will slowly release a female hormone over the next 3 months. It is medication for Prostate cancer, which is now certain. The bladder tumour was situated on that. Lots more appointments involving something or another will result from the condition. I’ll ask the nurse if the tug on the tube matters. It is slightly sore under the dressing.

6 Likes

Wow, that did not exactly read well, but at least the main work should now be over for the time being. I really feel for you and I hope the next LHRH treatment helps your situation. I’m sure we all wish you a speedy recovery with the obvious pain soon subsiding👍

2 Likes

I actually feel OK in myself despite all that. Just making some tea and toast. I always jokingly say, “You can’t keep a good man down”. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s what I like to hear Mart and IMO it’s the right mantal attitude that always wins through :clap:

2 Likes

Good to hear that you are back home and the procedure went well Mart. Although like LongDriver mentioned, it was quite worrying to hear about the blood loss and I hope there is someone there to keep an eye on you. I was wondering if Mrs Mart was okay after your day in hospital, did you have someone to be with her during your time away?
I’m actually on medication to make me bleed, apparently clots can form around newly inserted stents so I have to take extra anticoagulants for 12 months.
It’s good to hear you have a positive outlook Mart, I believe it helps just as much as the medicine when you are recovering. Lets hope your recovery is fast and effective and you are soon back on yer bike… :+1:

2 Likes

We have some good neighbours Mrs mart can call on if she needed help. She’s pretty independent though and can do most things from her wheelchair. I had to feel a bit sympathetic during yesterday evening’s bloody episode. She had to watch helplessly during the clean-up. I don’t want to have her lean over to clean the floor and have her fall out of the chair. I’m in no condition to help her up at present. Both be like a couple of beached whales. :slight_smile:

She was worried enough this morning to phone the hospital Urology doctor about the colour of things. He said that providing the water was flowing into the Nephrostomy bag, it is still in the right place in the kidney. Never mind about the colour of the water providing there were no blockages due to clots. The kidney and bladder water will settle. Mine’s just a bit more complicated because of the need to catheterise the bladder every time.

3 Likes

True that, Mart!

I am sure the simple enjoyment of tea and toast at home was a real pleasure ! It’s good to read that you are home.

Those first recovery days are too often not as painted, so stay the course and I am sure you’ll be feeling better in no time :slightly_smiling_face:.

3 Likes

You’re a brave man!

3 Likes