Oculus Quest 2 VR now is worth doing for us over 50s

I was looking at them on Amazon. I was thinking of it as a family present for my sons family rather than getting them something each

But now I think I’ll get myself one!

Seriously, which one have you got? How many GBs They seem to start at 64GB

Probably. But since most of the apps are on the Android platform (or Apple), you’d have to use an Android converter which wouldn’t always convert accurately and would require an add-on program. Some of the programs are web-based but not all of them.

Laptops are generally Windows, Apple, Linux or Chrome based. Tablets and phones are generally Android or Apple based. At least the ones I’ve seen.

LD, each platform (Windows, Chrome, Macbook etc) has it own App Store.

download (1) Windows
download Andriod
download (2) Chrome

Apple mac

1 Like

I feel like I’m missing something. The reason I’m using a smartphone for some of the apps is because they’re Android based. Some of the apps don’t cross platforms.

1 Like

Apologies Butterscotch…I was just showing LD what each App store icon looks like, because I don’t know what operating system he has, so I thought giving him something to look out for would be helpful, in case he wasn’t sure :smiley:

1 Like

No apology necessary PixieKnuckles. I’m just confused about the smartphone issue. Many of the meditation apps that I’ve seen and we were discussing are only on Android. Only smartphones and tablets use Android that I know of.

1 Like

Well this is true…although I do know of iPads, which are Apple. And I’m using a Chromebook Laptop which is like a larger tablet style, so that has its own Chrome App store (and also uses Android Apps, interestingly enough) Gosh it feels like we could get overwhelmed at some point :joy: I think it would be nice if tech were clever enough to just crossover onto each other, wouldn’t it?!

1 Like

Oh nice! I have Windows on my laptop so most of the apps don’t play on it. Makes sense that they work on Chrome since both are from Google. I’ve been thinking about getting a Chromebook. Another nudge in that direction. Thanks for the info.

1 Like

You are welcome. Its the best thing I bought to be honest. Its so easy and smooth to use, no tiresome updates all the time, the lid folds right back so you can use it as a tablet (touch screen, and write/draw on it if you have a stylus). The only drawback with mine is that the storage space isn’t that much, but I have a 64GB memory stick which I transfer things onto. I daresay the more expensive ones are better, but this one is perfect for my needs.

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles You might like this video. And thanks for your suggestion about MapCrunch. Tried it out and like it.

This woman went to a hotel and used the oculus for 24 hours. She went to a comedy club, work meetings and did exercise routines. Then she did meditation and then to sleep, all with the oculus strapped on her head.

It worked for her because she works in tech and the meetings were about the metaverse. I’m not sure most meetings would go like that. lol

The comedy club seemed to freak her out a bit because someone on stage called her out. But wouldn’t that happen if she was really there?

Anyone else who might watch this, would you spend a day in the metaverse?

1 Like

Thanks for sharing that, @butterscotch I don’t think its something anyone could spend a whole day on…it would mess with your head so much, I think. :open_mouth: And that comedy club call out…whoa that’s a bit weird…to be physically alone, yet also in a group of people who can see you? Nah…not for me :joy:

1 Like

We’ll see. Who could have imagined people spending so much time on computers when we were growing up, except Bill Gates and maybe not even him. :laughing:

If people can exercise, work, relax, learn and socialize all in the same place, you never know.

I know! To think we grew up so immersed in real life, with real people…and now its going to be a hybrid of “almost real”. I had a deep thought the other day, though…about the fake perfection of landscapes in VR, as to whether we (or future generations) will become disenchanted with the real life landscapes? I mean, we are already seeing it with people aren’t we…so if we see a beautiful landscape in VR, then go out to the shops in the wind and rain and muck…it would make us stay in more. Not us, of course, but future gens who grow up on this stuff. A bit random I suppose, but such are my thoughts sometimes :joy:

I’m not sure there will BE stores to go to in the future. Retail is closing down at a fast clip. People don’t want to work retail and the building space is costing so much money that they’re not competitive anymore. For instance, bookstores are almost all gone.

If people can shop online, see the merchandise in VR and get the product within hours or minutes, I think people wouldn’t see the advantage to driving somewhere and doing the same thing.

I also think the landscapes in VR will become real to the point of being able to see the real thing. People who couldn’t afford to travel could see places they would have no opportunity to see and meet people they wouldn’t be able to meet. People who could afford to travel could still do it.

I’ve been looking at some landscape pictures from around the world recently. So beautiful. Was thinking of starting a thread on it.

1 Like

This brings us neatly back to Google Maps where you can already “visit” historical buildings in 3D…imagine being able to stand inside a place and walk through the rooms…I’d be up for that!

:+1: Go for it, I’d love to see some of the sights :smiley:

1 Like

you still can’t beat the excitement of actually visiting places. Where is the buildup to planning a holiday in another place. First seeing and finding where to travel to-. saving up -planning the journey- booking travel tickets- going to the airport- flying and arriving at the destination. Then meeting people - trying out their food - visiting the surroundings and getting the feeling for the place.

No you can stuff VR and all that, why live in a fantacy world when the real world is out there waiting for you to explore

1 Like

Oh I do agree with you RS, but…still, there are people who can’t travel, either due to mobility issues or other reasons. Virtual Reality is the next best thing for them :+1: When are you going on holiday next? And where?

I disagree sorry. if you want to do something like travel mobility ,apart from sever cases,is no longer a hinderance.
Where am I going next year. won’t say when for home security reasons

Already booked to go to Norway- Fareo Islands and Iceland. (14 days)
Bergen-flam-alesund-geiranger-been to last 3 places but want to see see other parts- torshavn-sedisfjordur-akueyri-isafjordur-reykjavik

Nordic countries are quite expensive so I can understand why people may not go there. Basic cost for Sue and I is around £10,000 +extra excursions. However we worked hard- saved hard and now going to enjoy the benefits. OH part of the expense the travel company are paying for due to cancellation of European River cruise this year
Once you get the travel bug it keeps eating at you to see more. Love to go back to South Korea for example to visit no mans land between North and South Korea. I understand that looking into North Korea they have build a "dummy " village near to the border to make it loot a nice country to live in
Also Return visit to China would be great and long to go to Australia as I have family in Sydney.
So many places yet to see but old age could become a problem

1 Like

It sounds exciting, RS, I hope you have a wonderful time and share the photos when you come back! :+1:

Me too!

Done. Beautiful pictures from around the internet