Nothing on here about Sunak’s Budget

Unless I am looking in the wrong place I can’t see anything about this and I am quite surprised.

I listened to a fair few younger people on the radio and TV today and they were all complaining that times were going to be extremely hard for them.

I think most of us on here have had very hard times in our lifetimes so I didn’t actually have too much sympathy for them.

Young families now get far more Child Benefit than we did, their younger kids all get free school meals, free nursery places and school uniforms can be bought dirt cheap at all supermarkets now. They get tax credits and all sorts of things we didn’t get. I had to pay for playgroup, then nursery and then pay a childminder to look after the kids so I could go back to work. The only holidays we got were camping locally and we could never afford to go to big attractions like families do now - I took my niece’s kids a few years ago and these places are PACKED.

We had old bangers but the Mum’s cars at our local primary school are all driving really nice nee cars and 4 x 4s.

I was first in the queue on a Monday morning to get my Family allowance and my friend and I used to swap recipes for cheap meals like corned beef hash, jacket spuds with chopped up egg and baked beans etc. We never went out because we couldn’t afford a babysitter! Most of my kids clothes and toys came from jumble sales. I think the interest rate was something like 16% then!

We all have to cut our cloth accordingly but it seems to me that a lot of younger people don’t know how to do that or can’t be bothered.

1 Like

Nothing much to say about that spring statement. If like me you are a pensioner, we’re snookered with a capital F

4 Likes

What bloody good was it? nothing on there for us peasants except saving £3 on a tankful of petrol, I never fill my tank just in case some thieving toerag nicks my car.

1 Like

:rofl:

Ahem, this seems to have little to do with yesterday’s mini budget.

BTW, I remember the good old days of 16% … money in the building society, strike it rich, deposit on your own home.

Poor kids nowadays have nothing but good ‘Credit Rating’ to look forward to: the more you owe the more you can borrow.

I’m fortunate to have lived in more honest times.

1 Like

How I long for 16% on my savings, we took a mortgage out at 16% figured if we could afford it then then we’ed afford it when it went down.

Nothing on here about Frydenberg’s Federal budget either. It is due on the 29th March, bought forward because of the pending election. No doubt it will be shaped like a very large Pork Barrel.

I should have said interest rate on MORTGAGE was 16%. Sorry.

It does, because the people on the news being interviewed were mainly young people complaining about how hard things were going to be for them and I was pointing out that my generation had it just as hard with no handouts, no freebies, you just had to get on with it.

1 Like

That should read mortgage interest was 16% which was crippling for many.

And now the young have a right of passage to university, bypassing 6 or seven years of working, paying tax, and gaining proper hands on skills that unfortunately are lost these days. Never mind, because I don’t think they will ever need to produce anything, the Chinese will supply us with everything.

Flowerpower, I agree with you but I think that having to manage on what we had made us become independent & more capable of managing.!
Sadly we did it so well that we allowed the young to think that life was easy, and if you couldn’t manage the state would provide.
Personally I think it would be good if young people learned how to make nourishing food on a budget & learn that leisure time can be great if you learn how to do more for yourself.
Everything we buy costs more than making /or doing it yourself, It is time that young people learned that you can only buy if you have earned enough to pay for it. If you haven’t you need to learn how to make cheaper meals, use less hot water & wear layered clothes to keep you warm in the cold…just like previous generations have!

2 Likes

No doubt our forefathers spoke of how lucky we were when we were the youth of the day.

1 Like

Hmmm, I think the world must be a very confusing place for today’s young. I can’t really relate to it.

1 Like

Well it’s time they came off their phones and social media and got a proper job. Although, in their favour, our respective governments since Margaret Thatcher, have given it all away to the EU and China, so there are precious few jobs available except in marketing and media studies.

1 Like

@OldGreyFox ,Yeah , and political advisers of course ??
Donkeyman! :frowning::frowning:

1 Like

What proper jobs? We’ve closed down mines, many factories, large industries etc and have automated a fair few other tasks. Sure, there are some left but not enough to go round.

Hi

I disagree with some of the posts.

Our youngsters now need s degree for loads of jobs, which is a nonsense, and they have to pay the costs when we got them Free.

My first house, a 3 bed semi, cost twice my annual wage.

They cost far more than that now.

Even during the 3 day week had a second and third job to keep the money coming in.

We now have the Gig Economy, minimum wage, zero hours contracts and no sick pay.

The well paid secure jobs have gone, sold abroad for cheaper wages.

1 Like

Pretty much agree with most of what you said there @swimfeeders. But as you know, the idea was that by getting a degree back then, it would hopefully lead to a better paid job/career which would yield more income taxes as well as hopefully other revenue sources, which would more than cover the speculatory outlay by the gov/public purse.

The Labour policy in around the turn of the century to potentially flood the market with graduates as we moved away from manual labour was a risk and it’s not entirely clear whether that has actually paid dividends.

You didn’t read my post correctly did you Melgal, otherwise you would have noticed this…

1 Like