No Snapshot Comp for August

Hi everyone,

Just a short note to let you know there will be no snapshot competition for August owing to family commitments. Hopefully I will be able to start them again in September, so until then take care and keep those cameras clicking… :wink:

5 Likes

Hope all’s well, Barry.
Take care, and enjoy the rest. :+1:

1 Like

Why not start completely fresh and run a video Comp instead? Make a change from “snap shot” photos.
most if not all on here have the equipment be it on smart phones/ tablets/ compact /dslr or camcorder.
Holiday time is ideal showing the holiday videos at the same time

NO THANKS! It would ruin it.
I bet there would barely be half a dozen people who would bother.

1 Like

Why not Mups? I honestly do not know your downright rejection of the idea without giving it a go. Nothing harder than posting photos

Speedy, it’s simple.
You have said many times on here about how you like doing videos, but how many others have you seen agree and say the same, ey?

I, for one, would drop out of this fun (and long standing) competition straightaway, because I have never made a video in my life, and am not interested.
I am also pretty sure I would not be the only one. It would cut all us ‘amateurs’ out, and concentrate more on serious photographic members only, and that’s not what this should be about.

Furthermore, Barry has always done a grand job for us, and what makes you think he would even want to run a different type of competition?

No. Sorry, I don’t think for a minute, it would work, and think it would spoil everything. But that is only my opinion. All the people who now enjoy posting their photos might not agree.

3 Likes

that is your opinion which I respect but I don’t think you speak on behalf of other members who might like to have a go. Expanding ones capabilities is always a challenge but once mastered to a degree at least there is no going back.
Anyway it is just an idea

I tend to agree Mups. I am no photographer but I enjoy looking at other people’s photos & often vote for the ones I like.
The problem with videos is they would take longer to view & if you don’t know the places or the people in them, I think I would get bored before I had seen them all.
There is always mystery in a photo and you wonder where it was taken, but I suspect that videos will probably tell you where it was !

1 Like

If you read my post again, you will see I said quite clearly . . . " But that is only MY opinion.
I do not speak for anyone else at all.

2 Likes

Thanks Twink, and I agree. I certainly would not want to sit and watch loads of videos either.

And like I said before, what makes RS think Barry would want to change his competition, when it has always been enjoyed and participated in just as it is?

1 Like

Long may Barry’s ‘Snapshot Competition’ continue …… a fun competition for everyone. :+1:

6 Likes

One unusual video posted on its own is interesting , but I haven’t got the time to watch lots of them.

I makes me think of times when friends wanted you to watch their holiday videos & you had to think of an excuse why your couldn’t attend ! :rofl:

3 Likes

And you imagine this - sometimes there might be 20 or more entires. You’d be sitting there for a week trying to watch all those! Nah, still don’t think it would work, and would stop a lot of people entering.

1 Like

It doesn’t have to be “one or the other”
If someone wants to organise a video competition, why not run it as an additional competition? - it doesn’t have to be instead of the Photo Competition.
Maybe Realspeed could organise a video Competition as a one-off to start with? - or raise a separate thread to gauge how much interest there would be?

Then the photo competition could continue as usual for those who enjoy it.

3 Likes

If this is going to turn into a video competition, then count me out. My days of videoing stuff is well behind me and I don’t have the time to sit down and edit them. Completely lost interest in video, even though my camera has the facility for HD video - never used it once or have any intention to.

3 Likes

Why don’t you? You always seem to be full of alternative ideas for the competition but can never be bothered to put them into practice, so why not try doing it yourself this time? :thinking:

1 Like

Barry I am only on level 2 not 3 so may be well restricted in what I can do on here, which is one reason I may not be able to run one, also not have the knowledge about setting one up

The problem is as soon as anyone suggested something a bit different everyone is against it. as can be seen in the above posts. This is enough not to want to even bother and put the effort in.
Must be an old age thing not wanting to try anything a bit different, I don’t know ?only surmising.
To be honest it is not even worth making any suggestions to give a bit more variety to an already great site thanks to AZZ
there are so many quiz type threads on here which seem to be the most popular but so so boring, but that it looks like all members want to do. Say no more
Just my opinion

RS, all you do is make a thread titled “Video Competition”, write the rules and then invite people to put up videos. For the poll at the end, I’m sure someone can help with that. :movie_camera:

2 Likes

Quiz threads keep the mind alert and you can learn a lot from them. :+1:

1 Like

Yes Mags, and also they are fun, not serious or competitive.

1 Like