No bank holiday for me

Our company, have decided not to give us the platinum jubilee bank holiday, as I am maintenance I get all my bank holidays as days off, other staff , depending on their shift, get them as holidays to take whenever, so I have the Thursday off, then back in on Friday, of course our head office get the extra day, employer’s can choose to give it as a goodwill gesture, but ours won’t, there’s no wonder people are leaving the care industry in droves, it would be nice if we were appreciated ….

1 Like

As an employee you are a resource. Being a human being then a resource that has certain attributes and costs of ownership but nonetheless just a resource. The name of the game is to get the most out of each resource as can be done without wearing out the resource at an unacceptable rate. That’s a lesson that I learned while still in school. Most people never learn it or just don’t believe it - but it’s true. The moment that your cost exceeds your added value it’s a case of “mind the door don’t hit you where the good lord split you”. You want care and to be valued? Buy a dog.

2 Likes

Your just full of the milk of human kindness aren’t you todge

1 Like

If I am it curdled many years ago. But what I believe that I am is focused on the bottom line.

Todger always keeps things real :joy: Direct and to the point…

I’m afraid not everyone will be legally entitled to the extra day’s holiday - though it seems rather mean if employers don’t grant it to all employees, even if they need staff to work, it could be offered as “time off in lieu” at a later date.

I guess it depends on the wording of your employment contract.
If your contract states, for example, 20 days annual leave Plus Bank Holidays - that kind of contract would mean you were entitled to the extra public holiday which has been declared on 4th June.

However, if your contract states, for example, 28 days annual leave, inclusive of Bank Holidays, then your employer does not have to give you the extra day this year.

In your own example @Primus1, I think it would be very tight and mean if your employer refuses to give all staff the extra day’s Public Holiday (even if you have to work on the day and take time off later) if they are giving it to some of the staff because they have different contracts which legally entitle them to the extra day.

Only those at head office get the day off, carers ect have their bank holidays when they want, I have mine on the day, it was thought that we’d be paid time and a half but that’s been knocked on the head now and it’s just normal time…I’m so glad I don’t really work too hard at this job and it’s just a means of filling in until I reach my official retirement age,

2 Likes

That’s the way to do it.

My daughter won’t be getting it either - she works in a school and that week it’s half term, which she would have off anyway.

She’s not complaining, though, she gets all the holidays and half terms off with her little girl, which many mums would give anything to have.

I think it’s true that most employers do just see their employees as a resource

Which means they have nothing to gain but their employees good will by giving them the Bank Holiday off

But employee good will is a resource in itself, it can make the difference to whether they retain good employees or they quit and then they have to train new ones.

And to if they can attract good quality new employees

And to whether those employees work hard and go the extra mile or just do the minimum they can get away with.

Like you say, you’re not going to work too hard and are filling in time to retirement and not being given the day off while the head office do, isn’t going to inspire you to greater things or loyalty, is it?

It cuts both ways, if an employer treats the employees as a resource to exploit for minimum expenditure and consideration, then the employee is entitled to treat the employer as a resource and exploit them for maximum reward for minimum work and loyalty

Exactly that maree, too much stick and not enough carrot isn’t always the best

Employees ARE a resource. And you mention quality. But what is “quality” other than compliance with requirements?

Primus1
I learn’t a long time ago bosses don 't give a sh*t about employees they are just a number. Employees are not people just a movable object doing what they are instructed to do. the main issue is bosses come from uni and not worked their way up from floor sweepers. As log as they meet their targets is all that they care about

Boss’s — probably. Managers - absolutely NOT.

There’s a big difference between employees who do just enough to fulfil the requirements to get by and are looking to get out, either by a new job or retirement

And employees with a work ethic who go the extra mile to do a good job and are loyal to the company. They are quality

P off the second type with poor conditions and no respect and you turn them into the first type

Plus experience and qualifications are quality and those with them will take themselves off to a job where they are valued if their current employer doesn’t

And quality job hunters, with experience, skills, qualifications and work ethic won’t apply to companies with a rep for treating it’s employers badly

So poor employers get left with the dregs

Plus, disgruntled employees can sabotage by simply not giving their all, not sharing knowledge, not problem solving etc

Not being a saint, but with a lot of experience in my role, I am sometimes guilty of that myself! They annoy me over something, then they are struggling with a problem, I just let ‘em get on with, even though I could sort it out in a few minutes. Not my problem!

That’s my evil side, come on, you’ve all got one!

And if I was Primus and I didn’t fancy job hunting I’d just coast along doing the minimum and make sure I got those Bank Holiday hours back in sick time and skives :smiling_imp:

Quality is all about compliance with requirements.

2 Likes

Not necessarily, an employer who looks after their staff will, in most cases , get the best out of them, which can only benefit the business, look after your assets, I left my last employer as I didn’t want to be there, I didn’t choose to go there, I and many others left a combined experience of about 100 years, something that employer will never get back, I enjoy the job I do now but am under no illusion that I matter, which is fine by me, plenty of teas and coffee , and if I have to start working hard or things change that don’t suit me then I’m off,

1 Like

It’s really not! Quality is about caring about good outcomes and having the skills and good will to achieve them.

A business full of employees who are just doing enough to fulfil the requirements is never going to flourish

You can create as many requirements as you like but employees will always finds ways to fulfil them without giving you what you need

It’s a bit like tax dodgers :rofl:

Think deeper. The dimensions you refer to are therefore part of the requirements.

1 Like

Yup, if employers treated good experienced employees as an asset they needed to conserve rather than a resource to exploit, they’d get a lot more from them

There’s quite a lot of jobs around at the moment, but a lot of them low paid with crap conditions

I’d stay where you are for now, extend those tea and coffee breaks and take your lifestyle advice from Homer Simpson, I always do :rofl: