No babies allowed in Commons, MP Stella Creasy told

Labour’s Stella Creasy was informed it was against the rules to bring a child to a debate at Westminster Hall after doing so on Tuesday.

Sir Lindsay said it was “extremely important” for parents to be able to participate fully in the work of the House, which is why it had a nursery. “Rules have to be seen in context and they change with the times,” he told the House. He asked the Commons Procedure Committee to “look into this matter”. The committee, chaired by Conservative MP Karen Bradley, makes recommendations on the practical operation of the House.

Ms Creasy said she was “pleased to hear this” - as rules meant she could not be in the chamber for his statement.

Ms Creasy told the BBC she had regularly taken her son - who she is breastfeeding - and before him, her daughter, into the Commons chamber. But after appearing with her son at the adjoining Westminster Hall on Tuesday, she received an email from the private secretary to the chairman of the ways and means committee, Dame Eleanor Laing, which said this was not in line with recently published rules on “behaviour and courtesies”.

Deputy Prime Minister Dominic Raab said he had “a lot of sympathy” for the Walthamstow MP, and politicians needed to make sure “our profession is brought into the modern world… [so] parents can juggle the jobs they do with the family time they need”.

But, while saying a baby in the Commons “certainly wouldn’t distract me or get in the way of me doing my job”, Mr Raab said it was for the House authorities to decide the “right balance”.

Boris Johnson’s official spokesman said the PM wants to see “further improvements” on making Parliament family-friendly, though any change to the rules was a matter for the Commons.

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer’s spokesman said it would be inappropriate to comment while the Procedure Committee considered the matter.

The line has to be drawn somewhere.

One or two well-behaved babies may indeed be welcome in the House but, if a couple of dozen appear and one’s bawling sets the others off, the business of the House may be seriously impacted.

There are existing nursery facilities:

https://www.parliament.uk/about/working/nursery/

Parliament includes an on-site nursery for staff who work for the House. It is available to Members, Members’ staff, House of Commons and Digital Service employees, House of Lords Peers and staff, Press Gallery media pass holders, Whitehall parliamentary pass holders and contractors situated on the parliamentary estate.

It is a bright and modern facility with capacity for 40 children (aged three months to five years) and offers a stimulating and secure environment for children’s personal educational development.

Why doesn’t she use those?

1 Like

Obviously trying to make some obscure ‘statement’. One thing though - she would have no problem with it sleeping - that droning, waffling lot could cure insomnia world wide!

Keep kids and bawling babies out … as you can tell … I’m not in favour of tiddly distracting kids in the work place.

2 Likes

I wonder if she was making a point about breastfeeding…it would be a moot point if it was, because you can work around that…many working mums have to :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I think I posted in the wrong thread! :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

But it is quite funny anyway.

• serious head back on … behave Morti *
2 Likes

You might want to put this in the Victorian House thread, Morty. I don’t think the House of Commons would accommodate a Merman :joy: Although they do tend to burble a lot!

I know … I’m a twit aren’t I. :crazy_face: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Lot of disruption caused NOT.

That’s two women not concentrating on their job … look at the gooey eyed one behind her.

2 Likes

That’s why I hate all politicians.She didn’t have to do that just another blatant gesture.What if one of the men wanted a wee,would he be able to do it in a bucket while giving a speech?

1 Like

I confess I’d find that distracting …

You associate breast feeding with urination? Curiouser and curiouser…

If it is any comfort she resigned from the senate under Section 44 of the Constitution in 2017 but was re-elected in 2019

Hate is a strong emotion

That modern, sparsely-attended Australian senate is a far cry from our ancient and crowded House of Commons:

No wonder Covid went wild. Haven’t they heard of social distancing?

Perhaps it is time to build a new Parliament and use that building for something more useful. Worked for Australia.

BTW it is not ancient it was built in the mid 19th Century, I don’t know why people get the idea it is very old because it is not. It it is only 75 years older than our “Old” Parliament House

Both bodily functions that are best not displayed publicly.
I don’t know how long she was going to talk but I’m sure the infant could have waited to be fed somewhere more appropriate.

1 Like

You’re obviously not familiar with the needs of a baby, they don’t wait for anything.

She shouldn’t have been there with it in the first place then.

1 Like

Exactly! They’re small portable milk converter to manure factories which is why it’s not the best place to have a baby,

1 Like

Don’t be pedantic … the site is old, as old as the Normans. It needed rebuilding after a fire that’s all.

1 Like

That may be possible with your 76 senators or even your 151 MPs - there are 650 MPs in the House of Commons and 784 members of the House of Lords.

Well, it would, wouldn’t it - Australia’s Paliament is a new institution:

The Commonwealth of Australia came into being on 1 January 1901 with the federation of the six Australian colonies. The inaugural election took place on 29 and 30 March and the first Australian Parliament was opened on 9 May 1901 in Melbourne by Prince George, Duke of Cornwall and York, later King George V. The only building in Melbourne that was large enough to accommodate the 14,000 guests was the western annexe of the Royal Exhibition Building. After the official opening, from 1901 to 1927 the Parliament met in Parliament House, Melbourne, which it borrowed from the Parliament of Victoria (which sat, instead, in the Royal Exhibition Building until 1927).