No babies allowed in Commons, MP Stella Creasy told

Mystery to me why government buildings need to be so close to the centre of the capitol anymore.

Before that, you had nothing - Australia was just a collection of British colonies.

… and Westminster Hall (erected in 1097 by King William II) is 924 years old, having survived the fire … :exclamation:

There was an interesting TV show here where we found out that:
“Parliament House was opened in Canberra in 1927, there were no women’s toilets in the building. Even though Australia was the first country in the world in which women could both vote and run for parliament, no one thought they would ever make it to Canberra.” The first woman MP had to go home.
I wonder if it was the same at Westminster ?

Am sure we all recall the spitting image sketch with Mrs T using the urinals in the gents.:wink:

1 Like

Not me … :man_shrugging:

Made me laugh … :laughing:

The site probably goes back many millennia but that is hardly the point. it is not being pedantic to point out that the Palace of Westminster is not ancient as claimed but merely less than 200 years old.

I suspect she had the baby in a hospital somewhere I don’t think the Parliament offers birthing facilities.

1 Like

It’s got a long history, though - your parliament hasn’t:

The division of the Parliament of England into two houses occurred during the reign of Edward III: in 1341 the Commons met separately from the nobility and clergy for the first time, creating in effect an Upper Chamber and a Lower Chamber, with the knights and burgesses sitting in the latter. They formed what became known as the House of Commons, while the clergy and nobility became the House of Lords.

Ha ha. How wrong can you be? Yes, even colonies need government. The NSW Parliament House and Government House are both older than your Johnny come lately Parliament building.

The Parliament House was originally a public hospital (the Rum Hospital I think - built by Governor Bligh - Captain Bligh to you) Built in the very early 1800s and occupied by the Legislative council before your Parliament even burned down.

Next please…

Correction - it was Governor Macquarie not Governor Bligh - I should have guessed - it is on Macquarie St

Colonial architecture - how quaint … :slightly_smiling_face:

Still, it would have impressed the locals … :laughing:

They do if you establish a proper routine from day one.

That’s true but then we are a democracy which is more than the UK Parliament can claim, so perhaps a long history doesn’t count for much.

Yes …yes, I believe you …so when are you going to hand it back to the indigenous aborigines. Undo all the wrong of the dirty Brits and reburnish your halo.

2 Likes

What a really stupid pointless post.

Ah … but you replied to it didn’t you.

1 Like