No ads = respect?

It does seem appropriate that respect was given on the day of the queen’s funeral. Certainly nothing disrespectful or offensive should have been considered.
But not showing adverts on the commercial TV channels seems like a strange form of respect. Maybe one might think that crass sales messages are inappropriate during a programme about the event. But I was catching up with some mindless trash telly - below decks seeing as you ask. This is really trash TV. But clearly it was ok to broadcast that … but not the ads in the breaks. Instead all that was shown for 2-3 minutes was a message about ‘out of respect etc’. Where is the logic here? Who decides that an ad for insurance is more offensive than dumb young deck hands being idiots? Who decides that showing ads is disrespectful anyway (ok, probably not during a broadcast of the funeral itself)?
This whole mourning thing seems to have become excessive.

4 Likes

Here there would have been Sportsbet ads offering odds on the length of the King’s reign, how many Guardsmen would faint, whether the hearse would get a puncture and more, all done in the best possible taste, with warnings to “gamble responsibly”.

1 Like

@strathmore , Bloody hell, once again l find myself agreeing with you
IMO, funerals should be used to celebrate the pleasure or otherwise of
having known the deceased ?
Not to mourn their passing, which is all about your own selfish feelings ??
IMO, of course ? :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

You have the Coronation to look forward to next year cherubs :grinning:

2 Likes

I’ve no doubt that those people who were grieving or wishing to express respect for the queen were absolutely genuine in that. However I doubt very much that who felt that way would, on the day of her funeral, want to demonstrate their feelings of loss by catching up with below decks. Or maybe I simply don’t understand the way such people think…

I agree with you (that’s very unusual) strathmore…I believe that the BBC didn’t show any comedy programmes before and during the day of the funeral (Have I got News etc) but the world goes on despite our beloved monarchs passing, and our choice of entertainment remains with the viewer.

A very good friend and neighbour passed away in December a few years ago and we were invited to the funeral and wake. The funeral was arranged for the 23rd and the wake was held in a local public house. It was very disturbing to be eating and drinking to the death of a friend, while in the next room they were enjoying Christmas celebrations.

I saw a similar message on Channel 4, in each of the breaks in the programme I was watching last night.
It seemed rather an odd thing to do.

I had already watched the whole of the late Queen’s funeral processions and services in the morning and afternoon on BBC.
I thought the whole event was superbly organised and executed but I did not want to see it again on the News programmes, so when I settled down with a pre-bedtime evening cuppa later that evening, I decided to watch a bit of “light relief” TV.

I was surprised and intrigued by that message displayed in programme breaks and couldn’t see the point of it.
If they had cut out ad breaks during programmes broadcasting The Queen’s funeral or paying tribute to The Queen, I could understand it.

Even if they had decided to play short clips of tributes to the Queen - maybe a slideshow of photos of her with music - or even display some words of mourning / tribute on the screen, I could have understood their reasoning a bit better - but just having the programme breaks with that odd message advising they weren’t having ad breaks out of respect seemed ludicrous to me.

One thing it did make me notice is how much of an hour’s programme is taken up by adverts!

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly. Even nice photos of Balmoral or other royal palaces.

I agree … party time, except of course when the deceased dies prematurely.

1 Like

Given that most adverts are for life insurance, funeral plans, and care homes…I think that it was quite thoughtful of them :joy:

4 Likes

@strathmore , l think you’ve got it there??
You don’t understand !! :+1::+1:

When l said goodbye to me bruvver a few years back, l gave him several
renderings of “Ghost Riders in the Sky”'at the after funeral party !
Me and I’m used to sing it together in the past !! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

The BBC is very woke conscious .
Did anyone notice that almost all the people lining the route that they spoke to were not ethnically British ?

1 Like

Except that is not reflected in TV ad spend. The biggest spenders, and thus likely to be the most common ads, are consumer products, telephone/media, insurance re-sellers (not life insurance). I could believe that your mix of adverts feature more during daytime TV. But I was referring to programming in the evening after the funeral was done.
I’d also note that the TV companies could have easily worked with the ad slot buying companies to stop possibly upsetting ads on that one day. But I’m not clear how an ad for a care home would upset someone who was watching below decks on the day of the queen’s funeral. Where’s the connection that’s upsetting? There was never any chance of the queen seeing out her days in Sunnyvale Retirement complex, was there?

I don’t mind there being no ads .

2 Likes

Some of the soaps were replaced by programmes that were far less suitable for a mourning period IMO

I saw that Channel 5 had some kids movies on. That was forward thinking, not disrespectful. You can’t expect little kids to sit and watch a funeral, and possibly be upset with some of their family members crying.

Well it’s all over now .

1 Like

Well, this bit is…you’ve got the coronation to build up for now. I imagine that’ll be an all day / no ads on tv / bank holiday too.

I was slightly concerned that Charles might have keeled over on the long walk and we would have to do it all again next week .

2 Likes