Nicola Sturgeon standing down

I don’t mean by other politicians May (she is more than able to take them on :lol:) but I was thinking more the powers that be :icon_eek: wasn’t it old Liz who said there are forces at play to Diana’s old butler Paul Burrell (or whatever his name is)… does make you wonder, doesn’t it?

Naw,it disnae make Me wonder Azz…She explained Her reasons and I believe Her…don’t You go starting conspiracy rubbish Boyo :laughing:

2 Likes

Conspiracies are a thing of the past for Spitty, that’s for sure. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

May Not my fault they didn’t vote Tory

Would I do such a thing May? :081:

Why Spitty, they can be fun :lol:

I read that various senior Labour MPs are voicing a notion that the standing down of Sturgeon will help them win more votes in Scotland. That must be one of the most pathetic claims ever - they do not even pretend that it is their policies that would make them more popular, or the abilities of their candidates. They simply think that Sturgeon’s departure represents a chance for more votes for them. Labour need to work out why they lost support in the north and address that.

When a politician loses the support and backing of the people, they might as well pack up and go home. Jacinda Ardern lost it with her stance on vaccinations and too strict enforcement of covid rules, turning New Zealand into a police state…
Nicola Sturgeon is nothing like Jacinda, but lost it with the gender nonsense, which was chucked out by Rishi, and also the people of Scotland.
They will probably both get Knight hoods or something as a ‘thank you very much’ but don’t call us…They are destined to never be heard of again, just like Cameron…There are still some good opportunities to make some brass though…

Strathmore…You don’t think labour will benefit from Nicola resigning do you?
I believe that a party can be stronger with a good strong leader, it has been shown many times throughout history. Just look at Margaret Thatcher for example…The tories have been led by some right wet blankets, but Margaret ensured their popularity for three terms of office!

Now that Nicola has gone there is no obvious successor with her enthusiasm and drive to be the next leader of the SNP…So with them looking like a headless chicken, where would you suppose the votes will go? To the tories? I doubt that very much.
Just my opinion though…We’ll see…

1 Like

The aspect of Scottish politics that frequently seems to be forgotten is that the industrial central belt was traditionally Labour whilst the north and the islands were traditionally Liberal voters. That left the well heeled Perthshire and Borders as the tory voters. So all three could benefit from an SNP weakening. Although I doubt if the tories will gain any additional support. The legacy of Thatcher in Scotland is that she is (largely) hated, the legacy of Brexit (disliked by the vast majority of Scottish voters) and seen as a tory problem, and continued condescension by the likes of Rees-Mogg means that tories will be in the wilderness of Scottish politics for some time. But Labour need to come up with something more than ‘not being the tories’ to gain votes.

1 Like

That would be difficult as Labour has been a Tory splinter group for some time now (that’s not suggesting that is a good or bad thing)

the legacy of Brexit (disliked by the vast majority of Scottish voters)

Your meaning of vast majority is completely different to mine. Only 67% of eligible Scottish voters bothered to vote and of those who did vote, I wouldn’t call this a ‘vast’ majority, if it was over half, then yes I might say you had a point, but they didn’t:

Remain Leave
1,661,191 1,018,322

The term “vast” is in direct comparison to the terms “clear” and “democratic” majority typically used for the referendum vote as a whole. Which had a 72% turnout - not really that much different from 67%, is it? So if 62% voting to remain (and this has increased in the last 6 years) is not compelling then barely 52% voting to leave, but no mandate for any specific leave basis, (and this has gone down in the last 6 years) is neither clear nor democratic.
Which is why the push for Scottish independence will continue.

As I said I wouldn’t class it as the vast majority.

If nearly two thirds is not vast then barely two percent more equates to “undecided” and not a convincing win for leave. I’ll accept two thirds is not vast if you accept 52% is unconvincing and no mandate for anything.

1 Like

More people in Scotland voted to stay in the EU, but in the total of the UK more people voted to leave.

2 Likes

Which was another example of the injustice of the Brexit outcome and the very narrow majority.

There was bound to be resentment in Scotland at being dragged out of the EU when the majority there wanted to stay in and it would have been so much better for their country

I think Brexit led to a lot of support for independence and the SNP

Who wouldn’t want independence having seen your country forced into something against it’s own national interests and not being able to do anything to stop it?

Maybe the Scots are changing their mind and deciding Brexit was right after all:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/scottish-independence-scotland-would-vote-no-to-independence-by-12-point-margin-poll-finds-4024888

In a referendum tomorrow, Scots said they would vote No to independence by 56 per cent to 44 per cent, excluding don’t knows and those who would not vote.

3 Likes

No, I’m sorry, I don’t see your logic?

You can’t just assume a move away from voting for independence means that they think Brexit was right, just because that’s your own view and you want it to

Sadly for Scotlands future, Brexit is a done deed

It’s unlikely if they do achieve independence that they would meet the entry requirements to be accepted back into the EU on their own

So, like the rest of us who voted Remain, they are doomed to a blighted future because of what you Brexiters have done

And the only way for them and us to put that right is to fight and work towards getting the whole of the U.K. back in the EU

So some, while loathing Brexit and what has been inflicted on them by the rest of the U.K, may fear that it would be hard for Scotland to survive alone without the U.K. as they now don’t have the EU either, thanks to the bullying English Brexiters

So they may see staying in the U.K. until the whole of the U.K. gets back in the EU, as their only, grim and sad, option for their bleak survival

1 Like

Bleedin hell Rox … I was just going to say something nice about her.
Still, not to sound like I’m in a snit (like some), I’ll still say … I might not have agreed with her politics but I had to hand it to her she was a little firebrand , dedicated, very no nonsense, and when covid was going and she gave Tv updates to the Scots she did a better, more concise job than our blathering Boris and his ramblings.

1 Like

It’s history now.