Nicknames

Dormouse :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fruitcake! Such a pity! Wrecker?
You’ve got to explain the nickname Fruitcake!

Interesting name Meg. How did you come about it?

Oh dear, norty me deviating from the OP like that!
Nothing wrong with appreciating what looks nice though. :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

My nickname, well you already know it. Others?
Well that might just give my identity away so no chance! :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Never had a nickname, we just threw corruptions of each others surnames about till someone took exception, and cracked, how we laughed.

1 Like

Forgive me Baz, contrary to what folks might think, I am shy and can’t accept compliments with grace :blush: my apologies :hug:

Manja

1 Like

Well, no explanation needed there! :077:
You must be glad it’s legalised in most places in the world

:lol::lol: It was because when we had the band, I was sort of seen as the manager
 which became manja. Weird, I know. :lol:

1 Like

Come on now Spitty, go on then throw a few of those corruptions of your mates surnames our way.

Boo Boo

I was always crying so dad gave me the nickname

1 Like

Ah well, never mind but there’s nothing to say I cannot
make harmless compliments where deserved. :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Manja (pronounced Mon (as in MONday - jar) in SA is weed! You know? You smoke it and Rastafarian it up !

That’s so sweet Susan :hug:

You’re such a gentleman! Thank you:-)
Baz for President ! :058:

:blush: :blush: :wink:

1 Like

Wouldn’t wish it on anyone, in the cold light of day, It’s about pecking order, the weaker ones accepted theirs and if inventive turned it to an advantage, the ones in the power struggle glorified theirs, the trick was to suggest a nickname that suggested power and influence but, had a double meaning.:lol::wink:

1 Like

If my surname had for example been Banks, my school nickname would have been Banker or Banksy. You get the idea I’m sure.

When I was gainfully employed I was very irreverent, often acted the fool, made light of nearly every situation no matter how serious, so was nicknamed Fruitcake as in, as nutty as a fruitcake, by one of my department colleagues.

I used to test jet engines and in the early development years they were perhaps not as reliable as we would have liked. I was given the nickname Wrecker by a chief engineer because of the millions of pounds worth of high tech hardware I would often convert to bucketfulls of scrap metal.

Fires were not that uncommon either, and I once completely torched a test house as well as the engine under test, hence the nickname Firebug.

1 Like

Tabby - because I have always loved cats - tabby or otherwise!

and

Witchy Poo - because I have exceptionally deep green eyes.:-D:-D

1 Like

The school bus picked us up every morning at about quarter past eight and we were packed in like sardines for the trip to Takapuna Grammar school. As a recent arrival to New Zealand, I still had some kind of ‘Pommy’ accent and I found that although most of the kids were friendly, one or two used to poke fun at me. This was usually in good fun and no malice was intended but on one occasion a fifth former , so about two years older than me, started to pull my hair. After a bit of ignore it started to hurt and I reached over my head with both hands and clamped onto his wrist. Without any plan, I stood up and turned around to face my attacker. This, of course, caused his arm to rotate and he let out a cry of pain and burst into tears, much to the enjoyment of his classmates who all laughed at him in his pain and clapped me on the back like the winner of a contest. It was all, of course, not planned but by chance I had dislocated his elbow, as we found out later. From then on I was known as “Basher Bennett”.

1 Like