Next door - drumming

Will put story in next box.

Woman who rents next door told me a few weeks ago her 15yo autistic daughter would get a drum kit for Christmas. My face fell and I was told ‘don’t worry, it won’t be too loud. It’ll be in the boarded out loft.’

About 5.30 I could hear the drumming quite clearly so sent a text to her partner (who lives around the corner with his own 2 girls, as we had already started up messaging (yes, about noise!). His response today was ‘sorry she is practising, you will have to put up with it as she can practice until 23.00’. That was it!

Now. The lady rents, lives there with her two girls. He owns his own place, round the corner, I am led to believe, but treats next door like his own.

How, now, am I going to cope with this? Or move forward? Everything they do has to be noise, from the staying out in the garden all day every day in the summer with loud music, to him revving a quad bike or riding it up and down the alley, even to the loudness of their Ring doorbell which I can hear in my own property!

When I complained to her rental company in the beginning I was told she was very nice, to speak to her, and that she was the best of the applicants. They obviously hadn’t lived next door to any of them!!

They once held a very noisy party in the garden until gone 3am, prompting a neighbour 4 doors down to shout from her bedroom window.

It really does seem that noisy neighbours follow me about, doesn’t it??

You can only hope she get’s bored with it.At least you’ve got someone to sympathize with here,Butterscotch seems to have the same problem.

1 Like

That’s my only hope! Yes, I sympathise with anyone who has inconsiderate neighbours. I had to take on the allotment so I’d have somewhere to escape to in the future on nice days.

And that’s without the constant opening (creaking) and slamming of the front door as they deposit rubbish in the bins out the front. They don’t seem to have a bin or bag indoors, any tiny bit of rubbish has its own front door opening ceremony,

1 Like

Council?

You never know, if the council gets in touch with them then that might do the trick? Ideally, you’d be kept as anonymous.

1 Like

Record the noise as evidence

3 Likes

Keep a diary with times and dates Jazzi. Or buy a set of drums and see how they like it…
:drum:

1 Like

Yes, going to keep a diary in future. I bet she starts up on Christmas Day! Can you imagine it? I can already look forward to very loud music whilst they do baking.

I have an electronic keyboard, so might set that up and start practising. I’m no good at it, so yeah…maybe a taste of their own medicine. Not bothered about the young family the other side of me, having to hear the kids screaming and the father bellowing at 6.30am!! Oh yes…I get it all. I get on ok with that young family but seriously, the boys wind their father up when he has them, and mum works, and by heck it can be wearing, having to listen to it. I never hear her shout though. Hmmmm.

1 Like

Don’t forget to leave some particularly awful CD on full blast, on a repeat loop, whenever you go out for a few hours. Missed opportunities, etc…

Give unto Caesar that which is Caesar’s.

1 Like

Said that to a neighbour. She is a good few doors down but knows aaaaaaaaall about them!

1 Like

The girl my have been inspired by the Little Drummer Boy, come the new year, it may have all been forgotten.

1 Like

Let’s hope it gets on the mother’s wick before mine, lol.

1 Like

A similar problem happened to me a few years ago but it was very loud music being played well into the night, in fact almost through the night on many occasions by the next door neighbour in an adjoining bungalow. We put up with it until I reached breaking point. After speaking to her about it and getting verbally abused on more than one occasion I spoke to the council. I was told I needed to keep precise record of dates and times for a minimum of two weeks! I did precisely that, passed this over to the council and within the next 3/4 days it stopped. Good luck Jazzi

3 Likes

I could understand buying an electric drum kit which works with headsets, so at least the only noise would be tap tap tapping, apart from.special occasions. Mildly irritating, but doable.

But unless you can soundproof a room, or have it somewhere well out of earshot…

One has to ask what sort of idiot would buy a drum kit for anyone, yet alone someone who may have a leaning towards OCD tendencies, in an ordinary house???

1 Like

One trick, which I think worked for me, was to say, in conversation with them, how awful the playing was.

Tell them that you all laugh your socks off when you hear it.

2 Likes

I’d imagine that the daughter being autistic might make that seem a bit ropey a thing to come out with?

1 Like

I Googled this and some forums had threads whereby their autistic child needed the freedom a drum kit gave them. I hope they don’t trot out that excuse.

Oh, and did I tell you about the fag butts that are still littering the pavement out the front, a week after their party? Some were up against my wall so I kicked them over.

1 Like

One would have thought that freedom from the looks of hatred and contempt from everyone living within a quarter mile radius of the cacophony would have a more positive effect.

Complain to the council about the litter, in the form of ciggie butts on the pavement. Might as well try and niggle as much as possible.

1 Like

You have my sympathy I lived with horrendous anti social behaviour with one lot for 3 years , they moved out and moved her family of 5 adults in , ( tiny 2 bed terraced ) who had a constant barking dog ,now she has moved her family out and moved back in with a new partner and his barking dog . Twice I’ve spoken to them in 2 months and it still gets left to bark for as long as over 4 hours at a time . They know it barks non stop , they know it bounces through the walls but don’t care .

I feel for you and I hope the anti social team help you . Keep logs dates and times

Best wishes

Sadly some people are very inconsiderate

2 Likes

I am surprised that they are buying the child a drum kit as some autistic children are very sensitive to loud noises .

1 Like