News Bombardment - an obsessive illness?

What makes me chuckle, especially on Sky, is the way sometimes they’ve obviously struggled to get someone important on to ask their opinion.

So they’ve ended up with someone who’s completely obscure or unknown, or a man in the street

We sit there going “who the heck is that?” and “why do we care what they think?”

It was bad when the Queen died and they were so desperate to fill the slots they rolled in anyone who had ever had anything to do with her, however distantly

If the poor Queen had really had all those “special” relationships and conversations, she wouldn’t have had time to walk the corgis!

1 Like

In my opinion it’s done because it can be done and it’s a kind of vicious circle with everyone passing the buck. There was an interesting discussion on TV the other day where this was elaborated on. Journalists claimed they’d do it because “the people” expected them to, adding if they didn’t break this news, somebody else would and that was unacceptable because they’d lose readership and viewers. They also referred to the ongoing competition among journalists to be the first. If journalists then do so, there’re others who complain about the bombardment. After all, it still is attention economics having to cope with a continuously waning attention span of the addressees.

1 Like

You can mute any categories that you’re not interested in:

https://forum.over50schat.com/t/how-to-mute-threads-sections-tags/85691/11

It looks complicated so try muting/unmuting threads first … :+1:

Put another way:

1 Like

I realise that Omah but come on we are being overrun by political posts

Not really.

AFAIK, these are today’s popular threads:

https://forum.over50schat.com/

Click twice on the picture to expand … :slightly_smiling_face:

Makes you wonder doesn’t it - are they trying to keep everyone’s minds of things like, you know, another ‘ruler’ being put into place in a few months?

1 Like

See post above @wishbone :lol:

(But yeah, you can easily mute categories, tags, threads, and even users)

So true, after the Queens (the real one) death at Balmoral they even interviewed the butcher that supplied meat to the kitchen…:grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

I’m sure that there are people like me who get a bit obsessed with things at times (on some kind of sporadic OCD scale??), which makes it harder to turn off than Joe average, and which goes through a minor period of mourning/withdrawal symptoms when the event has reached its inexorable climax ( behave yourself @Vlad :wink:).

This sort of endless broadcast from dawn to dusk really doesn’t help!!

Who me? …and I should be so lucky :wink:

1 Like

You could watch cooking videos on YouTube.

… will make a better person of you.

1 Like

I stopped watching the news. I used to have the BBC as my homepage when I turned on my computer in the mornings. It sometimes made me angry, and that would set the tone for the day. Sometimes you can spot an agenda, especially on the beeb. And sometimes its what they omit or don’t report that gives you a totally different take on a situation and I feel that I’ve been manoeuvered into a conclusion. I get suspicious when I don’t hear both sides of a story, and it sorta proves that I’m being pushed into a certain direction.

3 Likes

Since I have the attention span of a dead gnat ten seconds of any news is enough for me"Ignorance is bliss" is the family motto

2 Likes

Dachs, I think the Journalists do it because it’s better than working. :grinning: :icon_wink:

1 Like

Oooh, @spitfire that is not very a very kind remark. :wink:

aw … poor journalists.

I like reading the sky news app the bad English is amazingly entertaining

1 Like

I do listen or watch the news but not too deeply because it can make me feel low in myself . I know stuff is happening as I try to be knowledgeable but I won’t let it get into me . I do think it can affect our mental health and outlook as news is all very deep sad and distressing . There is nothing we can do about awful things happening , nowadays we hear so much of violence too .

2 Likes

It’s more about making some stories addictive through 24/7 coverage for a few days/weeks, and then moving on, leaving us go cold turkey until our next fix from another story to embed ourselves in.

There’s nothing new about sensationalism and propaganda but,

In the old days, it was The 6 o’clock News, The 9 o’clock News, News at 10

Now they have reporters standing outside No.10, or wherever, making it up as they go along 24 hrs a day.

There should be a law against it.

3 Likes