New Rules For Motorists Using Roundabouts Are Coming In On 29th January

Another thing I dont like at all, is those wretched e.scooters whizzing about everywhere. I saw two teenagers trying to balance on one scooter only yesterday and they twice fell off. If they had been on the road how is a driver supposed to avoid that? Even on the pavement they were a nuisance.

Are these e.scooters nationwide, or is it just Northamptonshire trialling them?

1 Like

To be honest Pixie I am more annoyed about the e scooter people who aren’t even allowed to ride in the park or on roads in most places, but yet increasing numbers are emerging and weaving through traffic without any lights/helmet etc. I also think any bike with a motor on it and any electric vehicle should have a licence plate. I would include pushbikes too but they have ruled that out grr.

4 Likes

haha I just saw this after posting my similar comment! :grin:

1 Like

The discussion was about the new law, I think they were unhappy about the rules for pedestrians and how cyclists could be held accountable for not letting them pass.

1 Like

Just goes to show that there is a certain breed of cyclist who really do think they should come first, before everyone else

6 Likes

I just think the whole cycling agenda is totally ageist because many older people have mobility problems which prevent them from getting on a bike or they may have eyesight or balance issues that make it frightening to cycle. My dad was cycling right into his 70s but not many people are like that. These days it’s a whole political movement and those with disabilities are being sidelined. As for the elderly nobody thinks of their needs in this discussion. The fact that a cyclist on a “shared use” cycle/pavement could give someone older a heart attack is less important than a cyclist having a right to hurtle down at 20mph even though the limit is 5mph.

What about the blind walking on a pavement and these quiet e-scooters with someone on the scooter texting and listening to headphones coming up behind someone who cannot see them? It’s getting absolutely ridiculous and pavements & walkways should be for pedestrians.

3 Likes

There are many, in my experience. These new rules which all favour the cyclists do nothing other than encouraging them to behave as if they are above all other road users and even pedestrians.
We have created a breed of cyclists who can do what they like when they like, and that seems to have attracted the trendy ‘don’t give a toss about anyone else’ type.

As I’ve said before, I have dash cams front and back for my own protection. However, the best I can hope for from them is to prove my innocence; cyclists who cause accidents will still get away with it simply because they know they cannot be easily identified. At best, I can get a video of them misbehaving, but their faces are unlikely to show much detail and, of course, they carry no identification markings: another thing which encourages their freedom to misbehave.

2 Likes

even more stupidity. I’ve never seen something so ridiculous. Who comes up with this rubbish? As someone who has /has had shoulder problems, frozen shoulder, pulled ligaments in my shoulder. arms, neck this is simply ludicrous. Fine if you are a flexible, nimble long armed young person :grin:

2 Likes

Or had a pacemaker fitted, almost impossible to reach across with your left arm, with something the size of an egg in your left shoulder…
:anguished:

2 Likes

Sod the pedestrians, as well, except for the rare occasion when I am one. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

As someone who might just end up having one installed in the future, I was interested to hear that they may restrict arm movement. Don’t they site it just underneath the clavicle? What sort of movements are difficult?

2 Likes

Now the bruising around the implant site has gone, and the tissue has grown around the device and it’s wires JB, already after five weeks almost all the movement has been restored to my left arm. But moving my left arm across my chest compacts the space where the device is situated and you can feel a lump. Being left handed has probably not helped, and learning to temporarily do things with my right arm was a challenge. To be honest JB, even after this short space of time since it was fitted, I forget it’s there most of the time, and should anything catastrophic happen to my heart, it’s reassuring to know that it will revive me. Even if I’m out in the wild places where I love to be. I would strongly recommend having one should you be offered JB…

2 Likes

Thanks OGF. I think I can live with that. I may not be able to live without it! :rofl:
Yes, I still await further tests, but I think I’d feel safer having one on board.

2 Likes

I was pleased to learn last night that under the new rules pedestrians are allowed to walk in the cycle lanes and bikes have to give way to them, especially on pavements that are half for bikes and half for pedestrians. Where I am they have them everywhere and it’s ruined taking a walk down the beach as the pavement has been cut in half and the bikes going whizzing past not giving a damn about the pedestrians especially the kids who unintentionally wander into them.

If you got for a walk down the beach front it can take about an hour to get from one end to the other and pedestrians are all scrunched up on one half of it. It takes about 5 mins for a bike to whizz down it, spoiling the relaxing walk for pedestrians.

2 Likes

Well, there’s a bit of good news.
Of course, there are good and bad cyclists. Marge and I were walking down a snicket (I hope you foreigners understand that word!) yesterday and we heard a bell behind us. The two cyclists (unlike many) had slowed down and waited for us to let them pass. They then thanked us.
Consider the other type of cyclist and what they would have done.

2 Likes

JBR the cyclists round here definitely aren’t like that. They ring their bells, but keep up their speed It would be just like a car being behind them on the road and beeping their horn at them.

It’s all a matter of respect which sadly is lacking these days. When my kids were young (primary school age) and had their bikes, I wouldn’t allow them on the roads only the pavements, but if there was somebody walking they had to get off their bikes till the people passed.

2 Likes

There’s a cycle club up here who take to the very narrow roads, usually on a Sunday or in the long summer evenings. Usually in a bunch of about 20, they are an absolute nightmare, they have road bikes that can travel at speed if they choose, but they prefer to go slow and hold everyone up. You haven’t a hope in hell of getting passed them because of all the tight bends and no idea what’s coming toward you from the other side. The only way is for them to pull into one of the many passing places, and let the long line of cars that have built up behind them past…But they don’t. I stopped going along the top road to the wee coves with the dog on a Sunday because of them, after they turned my 15 minute drive into a 45 minute one.

4 Likes

I find this bit really stupid and dangerous too:

Cyclists are also now advised to ride in the centre of their lane to make themselves more visible on quiet roads and in slow moving traffic, or on the approach to junctions when it would be unsafe for a vehicle to overtake.

1 Like

It seems that the powers that be are not only turning a blind eye to this irresponsible and selfish behaviour, which is actually quite commonplace, but are actively encouraging it with their new rules.

I can imagine that one day some people will have had enough and reprisals will take place. I shouldn’t be surprised if someone, perhaps in a large Land Rover-type vehicle, one day simply ploughs straight through them - having first covered up their number plates until they are out of sight! After all, they do make people angry and angry people, when they have been pushed so far, sometimes take the law into their own hands.

2 Likes

The way I see it, after 2010, no more fossil fuel cars, not enough infrastructure for all leccy cars, and the affordable secondhand leccy cars will have knackered batteries, that is why legislation is turning in favour of human propelled vehicles, simples. :bike:

2 Likes