New Member from Texas

We tend to be in awe of foreigners in Texas. It’s like, “What the hell are you doing HERE?” I visited the UK on leave when I was in the navy. Quite an experience.

3 Likes

Especially if they know it’s an “open carry” state!

2 Likes

Hi Jim , welcome from me , loved to hear more about Texas,

2 Likes

Well, a lot of Texans were original British!

2 Likes

Welcome to a great forum Texastential.
You have chosen a great friendly and honest forum.

2 Likes

Welcome - I’m tempted to say that you must know my niece but I realise Texas is a rather big place. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yes Mart, good Observations, haha

2 Likes

Hello Sailor…
I’m afraid it’s only Yorkshire folk who provide the interesting side to the forum Jim, it’s Gods own county…
:innocent:
I think you might be the first Texan to join the forum
:+1:
Don’t be a stranger…and welcome to the forum…
After all the westerns I’ve watched, I must know as much about Texas as you…
:071:

2 Likes

I thought that but according to google.

Most of them were shot in California with occasional distant travel for outdoor scenes that could be several days to several months. That was done in Arizona (particularly at “Old Tucson” movie sets, Utah, Northern Mexico, and very rarely further away than that in Texas (particularly at the Alamo/San Antonio set in Brackettsville), New Mexico, Nevada, Colorado, Wyoming, Oregon, and Montana. Westerns were rarely filmed in the states the story was set in and referred to, if you know the real western landscapes it’s annoying.

4 Likes

A bloke I used to work with in London in the 1960s moved to Texas, he lives in Dallas last I heard.

2 Likes

One of the greatest westerns ever, The Searchers, was set in Texas, which is where the Comanches lives, yet it showed Monument Valley as a backdrop, which is where, you know, Navahos live.

6 Likes

I thought I knew what Texas looked like from The Big Country but it’s all California apparently :grinning:

2 Likes

Well I had never seen it but going to make sure now I will…
The Searchers - Wikipedia.

1 Like

Must disagree with you there OGF - the West Country is by far the most interesting part of the UK, I will grant you Yorkshire makes good tea!

4 Likes

brixham
Spent many happy Holidays as a child in Brixham and then later when we had the touring caravan we just about covered all the West Country one way or another…Beautiful area of the UK for sure.

1 Like

I liked our countryside here in Scotland:

2 Likes

Since we’re talking about bests, the prettiest part of Texas is the Hill Country and the most beautiful state in the USA is probably Montana, just not in winter.

3 Likes

Seriously fox :wink:

3 Likes

I accept your points. For me it was home, my home. Since then I have been fortunate to have travelled a fair bit. The Cape Mointain in SA, Sun Moon lake in Taiwan, Vancouver Island, …

1 Like

Then there are the Spaghetti Westerns that weren’t even filumed in the USA, let alone Texas.

By the way, I am very good at card games, and I am especially adept at the Texas Shuffle, so called because it tecks-us so long to pick 'em up afterwards.

… I’ll get my coat.

1 Like