New King, New Year - His Christmas Message

Whilst keeping some things traditional, King is clearly going to keep to his own counsel.

2 Likes

His Christmas speech was a bit…Well, predictable… :roll_eyes:
“My Mum died, we must send more money to Ukraine, and you plebs have got it a bit rough, with the cost of living crisis”
He must have knocked it up while waiting for the starter at the palace Christmas dinner…
:yum:

4 Likes

I thought it was a tad more political than that. No need to emphasize nurses over the emergency services.

2 Likes

For some reason we had the speech on, new King same old I thought.

1 Like

We didn’t need telling…what is it with these awkward rich folk who are so out of touch with reality? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Sunak was serving in a homeless shelter and asked one of the plebs if was he in business, nope was the reply I’m homeless, you couldn’t make it up.

2 Likes

Tradition, would not be Christmas without it. :relaxed: A much needed rest from the kitchen.

I read that! How utterly cringeworthy! Then he goes on to say smugly “Oh I was in finance” and the poor guy is just standing there like “umm, ok…” Perhaps if Sunak were to offer up his palatial mansion that he “keeps for guests” and got someone in to serve a bit of dinner over Christmas, that would go a long way to getting the plebs on his side.

3 Likes

I’m not knocking those that look foreword to the tradition.
Most if not all on here have only known the Queens speech, why not try something different, a new year one .

1 Like

Must be honest I got a bit dozy, should have gone for a walk it was a lovely sunny day.

2 Likes

I enjoyed listening to the King’s speech. I watched it on catch-up TV later in the evening.
It was a refreshing change of style.
My eyes used to glaze over if I listened to Elizabeth II’s Christmas speech but the content and delivery style of Charles III’s Speech held my attention.

I think the fact that he was standing less that 20 feet away from his mother’s body was a nice touch.

1 Like

I didn’t see it but I caught bits on the news, it looked OK, safe and predictable is what people want from it, I think

I think they played it safe. They knew it would be over analysed by the world and his dog. So it was probably very watered down vs what Charles would like to say.

4 Likes

Isn’t it always? The monarch has long since stopped itself from being political.

2 Likes

I saw that… cringeworthy is the word.

Not only cringeworthy… entirely unconvincing.

I can’t say I watched it … if the Royal family have ever looked archaic ancient anathemas awkwardly out of place and time it is now.
So insular. So drab. So boring and lacking in charm.

I give the royal family 10 to 20 years before they’re gone.
George will never get on the throne and maybe Wills won’t either.

1 Like

The real problem are the Royal PR guru’s; too much attention on how things look rather than on what they are saying. Clearly the speech was not written personally, maybe it should be. Maybe, not.