New Computer time - any suggestions?

I hadn’t thought about it but …

I probably would copy all files (a few docs and masses of pics) to my external hard drive (most is on there already).

Delete most of the Apps/Progs that come with the new PC.

Download my favourite freeware and transfer External HD stuff to new PC.

Now’s your opportunity for a clean-out and reorg … :slightly_smiling_face:

Windows 10 Settings/Storage is a good start to establish usage and relocate files.

Search and File Explorer are useful but “Everything” is an excellent search utility.

For cleaning, I use GlarySoft Utilities and PrivaZer.

https://www.glarysoft.com/

https://privazer.com/en/

All, AFAIK, are safe to install.

ETA Run a virus check on all files before transferring to your new PC.

You’re into photography - why not get a Mac?

How long did your last PC last? My last Mac (before this one) was used daily for about 8 years! :lol:

2 Likes

I’ve got a camera, takes nice pics. :laughing:

9.5 years, still working fine actually, maybe slowing up a bit. Maybe I’m thinking ahead, maybe it’s a good time to update just before getting a new prog …

1 Like

https://www.scan.co.uk/

worth a look anyway all come with a decent warranty

1 Like

8 gb = Morris minor , 16gb = mondeo , 32 gb = bmw, 64gb = Ferrari … does that make sense @d00d

1 Like

Reginald Molehusband 16gb :icon_cool:

yep … so I’m going for this (decided on a smaller screen)

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-pavilion-24ca1002na-23.8-allinone-pc-amd-ryzen-7-512-gb-ssd-white-10239696.html

Most of that puppies storage is online so you’re going to need a hdd if you’re going to store photos or music

“puppies”?

I’ll be able to store 1000s of photos on the PC surely.

?

I just copied and pasted this bit

So how much photo storage do you need?

1. If you are a keen photographer who shoots 10,000 raw files a year and edit, say, 1 out of every 10 images you’re probably going to need 250,000MB of storage space for your new photos.
  2. You’ll also probably want to factor in around 120,000MB for ‘experiments’. So if we’re translating that into storage needs, that’s a rough total of 370GB that you’ll require from just one year’s worth of shooting.
  3. And let’s not forget the images already in your archive that you’ll need to store, as well.
  4. Even if we’re overestimating your photographic output here, you might find yourself shooting at this rate, or more, in the future as you gain confidence with your camera or start to experiment with new styles and techniques.
  • from this site here

thanks Pixie … all too much for me.

" … photographer who shoots 10,000 raw files a year and edit, say, 1 out of every 10 images … " … Presumably, when they say edit they mean compress it into a jpeg, and also possibly resize it for the internet. But what about the other 9 images, are they kept on the computer for posible editing at a later date? I know lots of people do that and raw files are big. Plus there is no mention of camera sensor size: a keen photographer can use a full frame, apsc, or micro four thirds camera, big difference in picture size.

Anyway, I’d like to know what Jaded meant when he said: “Most of that puppies storage is online”, I’m familiar with cloud storage, I have all my favourite photos up there now. They are also on my HD and HHD along with countless other pic. My current PC has the same storage spec as the new one: 512 GB and it’s only about 25% full.

I would assume so, yes…because I don’t know about you but I don’t delete any of my images (unless they are utterly uneditable), and use them to practice different filters or effects with.

I can’t answer for Jaded, but I would imagine he meant online in the cloud. But that needs to be paid for, so I think I would be a bit grumpy paying out a load of money for a new PC, then having to pay again for somewhere to stash my stuff. Plus the internet fees…also, what if you had internet issues. Does that mean you couldn’t access them? No I’m old fashioned, I like my stuff to hand. :smiley:

1 Like

On a bad day, I can take 100 photos, view them on my PC screen when they are still on the card, see just one I really like and save it to the computer drive. The card goes back into camera and is formatted to clean it, deleting everything.

There’s loads of free cloud storage: I use Google Photos.

I used to use Flickr and Dropbox. Are they both still free?

1 Like

Flickr isn’t…well…the “free” version is severely limited and there are ads all over the place which suggest you go for the pro version. I don’t know how much it is, because it was taken over by Yahoo, and I don’t like Yahoo.

Dropbox is ok-ish for free…very basic. You get a 14 day trial of 2TB storage (which you have to input your payment details first so they can automatically charge you once you forget to cancel).

1 Like

I like google photos, 15GB of storage for free, plus editing tools, albums, you can have the same photo in 100 different albums, but it counts as just one photo. All very nice and user-friendly.

1 Like

Sounds alright actually…:thinking:

I have a new Laptop, ASUS VivoBook17 - Intel CORE 13 - Windows 11

Very good.

1 Like

I’m thinking (or looking) at Windows laptop…I have a Chromebook which is alright for browsing, but you have to download a ton of Apps to get any work done :roll_eyes:

deleted

@dood it’s got a 512gb ssd which is a solid state drive unlike older computers that had large er drives.
That’s 512gb for everything… programs , storage the lot . Windows 11 uploads a lot to the cloud which isn’t much use if the internet connection fails.
So you’ll need a further ssd ideally to store more files …
As was shown a fairly short time taking photos is going to eat that storage pretty fast.

1 Like