New Computer time - any suggestions?

I think the time has come for a new desktop PC. I’ve had an HP all-in-one

since Windows 8, updated to W10 yonks ago. Very nice, space-saving, quiet (compared to the old HP Win XP tower).

The HP all-in-one has been updated, I could go with that. Just wondering:

What are the other options? What’s the good “spec” to watch out for nowadays?

I guess I’m a pretty typical user, not mining crypto, no gaming either. But I might get some more demanding photoshopping software in the near future.

Lots of the modern computers are laptops. Finding a good desktop is difficult. I’d look for at least 16gb ram , 1tb hard drive and a multi core processor . The Ryzen series from AMD seem to have the edge over the intel ones at the moment and the Ryzen 7 is the most capable in my personal opinion but there are other options

Thanks Jaded, that’s interesting.

But what about screen size? My current laptop is a mere 15.5". The above HP screen is 23" (I like). The new HP all-in-one comes in a 24" and a 27".

You’ll have to start somewhere:

I’m currently running two Dell desktops - an XPS and an Inspiron.

Ok new computer firsr question
1= is how muich do you want to spend
2= Windows on Mac
3= ready built if windows
4= built to yolur spec
5= what is most important in tghe computer
5a= memory= graphic card - expandability- etc

remember shop built may not have tghe best components to keep prices down , if you go to somewhere like “scan” computers they will not only build for you but also advise, set them a price limit and let them work out a computer for you

Thanks @Omah @realspeed I’ll go for off the shelf

I’m now thinking of going for one of these

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-pavilion-27ca1002na-27-allinone-pc-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-white-10239687.html

27" / 16 GB Ram / Storage: 1 TB

Meets Mrs d00d’s requirements:
White is better than black
Neat, tidy stand.

3 Likes

That’s equivalent to my XPS, which I’ve found more than adequate for my domestic (non-gaming) needs … :+1:

1 Like

No disc drive. No card slot.

I too was wondering about replacing my current all in one but mine has the disc drive, and a tv card. (Wish Microsoft hadn’t abandoned Media Center!!)

Hey guys

I think I understand “storage”. My current PC has 10 years of junk on it, inc. 1000s of photos, says … C: 328 GB free of 448 GB

But I’m not sure I understand RAM and its importance (?)

1 Like

This may help:

Hey thanks

Disc drive, as in CD? I think I can manage without, but I’d like a camera SD card slot.

Thanks, had a quick look, wish they’d date these articles. I was rather hoping someone could briefly explain the difference between 8 gb and 16 gb on a 2022 machine.

1 Like

https://www.currys.co.uk/products/hp-pavilion-27ca1002na-27-allinone-pc-intel-core-i7-1-tb-ssd-white-10239687.html

Sorry, this item is currently out of stock.

Very stylish device. I’ve been having a white 17" laptop and will have to replace it very soon for the same reason. It’s seven years old and still runs on WIN8 which is going to be phased out.
I’ll most likely go for an Acer Aspire 17" laptop, unfortunately not available in white, though, with 16GB RAM, 1TB storage, and an Intel i5 again. I don’t need a card slot but LAN is a must and I noticed that that seems to be a rare thing as most notebooks don’t have it any more. If necessary, I’ll be using an external DVD drive.
I also learnt that the i7 processor tends to fan quite noticeably which I don’t like at all. That’s why my choice will be a i5.

1 Like

8 Gigs are just acceptable but 16 are better if you want to work with several apps open at the same time. It’s more judder-free and future-proof. Generally, RAM determines how stable under load a system is.

1 Like

(1) last updated in August 2021

In a nutshell, here are some simple guidelines that apply to most PCs and Macs:

• 4GB: Low-end Chromebooks and some tablets come with 4GB of RAM, but it’s only worth considering if you’re on an extreme budget.
  • 8GB: Typically installed in entry-level notebooks. This is fine for basic Windows gaming at lower settings, but rapidly runs out of steam.
  • 16GB: Excellent for Windows and MacOS systems and also good for gaming, especially if it is fast RAM.
  • 32GB: This is the sweet spot for professionals. Gamers can enjoy a small performance improvement in some demanding games, too.
  • 64GB and more: For enthusiasts and purpose-built workstations only. Engineers, professional A/V editors, and similar types need to start here and go higher if needed.
1 Like

Thanks guys, yes 16 GB ram sounds nice.

1 Like

Do you use any pc organisers/cleaners at the moment?

You mean someone to service my PC? No.

1 Like

No, I mean file organisers/cleaners, i.e. storage utilities. You might want to evaluate your current usage before transferring it en-bloc to a new PC and thereafter you might want to keep usage under control.