New Computer time - any suggestions?

thanks Pixie … all too much for me.

" … photographer who shoots 10,000 raw files a year and edit, say, 1 out of every 10 images … " … Presumably, when they say edit they mean compress it into a jpeg, and also possibly resize it for the internet. But what about the other 9 images, are they kept on the computer for posible editing at a later date? I know lots of people do that and raw files are big. Plus there is no mention of camera sensor size: a keen photographer can use a full frame, apsc, or micro four thirds camera, big difference in picture size.

Anyway, I’d like to know what Jaded meant when he said: “Most of that puppies storage is online”, I’m familiar with cloud storage, I have all my favourite photos up there now. They are also on my HD and HHD along with countless other pic. My current PC has the same storage spec as the new one: 512 GB and it’s only about 25% full.

I would assume so, yes…because I don’t know about you but I don’t delete any of my images (unless they are utterly uneditable), and use them to practice different filters or effects with.

I can’t answer for Jaded, but I would imagine he meant online in the cloud. But that needs to be paid for, so I think I would be a bit grumpy paying out a load of money for a new PC, then having to pay again for somewhere to stash my stuff. Plus the internet fees…also, what if you had internet issues. Does that mean you couldn’t access them? No I’m old fashioned, I like my stuff to hand. :smiley:

1 Like

On a bad day, I can take 100 photos, view them on my PC screen when they are still on the card, see just one I really like and save it to the computer drive. The card goes back into camera and is formatted to clean it, deleting everything.

There’s loads of free cloud storage: I use Google Photos.

I used to use Flickr and Dropbox. Are they both still free?

1 Like

Flickr isn’t…well…the “free” version is severely limited and there are ads all over the place which suggest you go for the pro version. I don’t know how much it is, because it was taken over by Yahoo, and I don’t like Yahoo.

Dropbox is ok-ish for free…very basic. You get a 14 day trial of 2TB storage (which you have to input your payment details first so they can automatically charge you once you forget to cancel).

1 Like

I like google photos, 15GB of storage for free, plus editing tools, albums, you can have the same photo in 100 different albums, but it counts as just one photo. All very nice and user-friendly.

1 Like

Sounds alright actually…:thinking:

I have a new Laptop, ASUS VivoBook17 - Intel CORE 13 - Windows 11

Very good.

1 Like

I’m thinking (or looking) at Windows laptop…I have a Chromebook which is alright for browsing, but you have to download a ton of Apps to get any work done :roll_eyes:

deleted

@dood it’s got a 512gb ssd which is a solid state drive unlike older computers that had large er drives.
That’s 512gb for everything… programs , storage the lot . Windows 11 uploads a lot to the cloud which isn’t much use if the internet connection fails.
So you’ll need a further ssd ideally to store more files …
As was shown a fairly short time taking photos is going to eat that storage pretty fast.

1 Like

Thanks

Sounds a rip off!

The new PC has arrived, not plugged it in yet. Just looked at System Storage on current/old PC

Will be interesting to see what the new one, Storage, looks like.

download Belarc Adviser that will tell you all about your computer and it is free
if windows comes pre installed it will even give the Windows serial number as in this screen shot, See under software licences heading. You won’t find a better computer interrogation program, I have used it for many years

link

Always best to have the windows serial number incase of computer crash etc, pre installed windows may not have that information

1 Like

7.90 GB of Temporary files is, IMO, excessive.

On my desktop, Drive C: has 33 MB of Temporary files.

You should consider using a cleaner on your old PC if you’re going to use a “copy” mechanism.

You should use a cleaner on your new PC to prevent that sort of “build-up”.

When I click on Temporary Files, an interesting list appears, and it tells you which are safe to remove. :icon_cool:

I think you could probably delete most of them - what is the total size that Windows says can be deleted?

I’m not at home with that PC at mo. But half of that 7.90GB is in the Download folder, plus there’s GBs in the recycle bin. That covers most of it, and both those destinations are not automatically included in what’s safe to remove without first checking.

1 Like

Fair enough … :+1:

My Downloads folder is retained on my Drive D: (SATA) for the latest version of Apps only and is 2.34 GB.

My Recycle Bin is emptied every day.

Nevertheless, my cleaners always find work to do … mostly internet traces … :grinning:

1 Like

12,745 pics copied to external HHD.

I wouldn’t cry if something went wrong, the pick of the bunch is in the clouds.

A 60s photographer (her name escapes me) was asked, what’s your best photo?
But I haven’t taken it yet.

or it went something like that.

I haven’t taken my best photo yet. :icon_cool:

1 Like

Before you buy from CurrysPCWorld, it might be helpful if you take peekies at this…

Blimey … a catalogue of disasters.

I’ve already bought from Currys (they’re called now). Delivered but not plugged in yet.

:017: