New apple tree position?

I had a brain wave idea last night so threw it over to Sue for her opinion, dearn’t do anything without her approval or i would be in very deep do doos.

In the picture below, the earth patch this end of the trellis work with a couple of plants in is where the 2 apple trees were and never did that much fruit wise.

So I said to Sue what about having these two bushes out (the big green one and the one next to it this side ) as they only put out leaves and take over the garden path. Instead put in stakes and wire between and grow apple trees there instead. Even a couple of shaped fancy paving slabs to walk on between them instead of the earth

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image.

there are apple trees that are grown for this type of setup, so what do you think? A brainwave or what?

Initially Sue was non committal but coming around to the idea this morning.

I had thought about using the fence as a support ,but if the panel fell down!!!

1 Like

Check the flowering times of the apple trees. If the flowers are out at different times they may not get pollinated.

Thanks for the reminder

Apparently there are self pollination types now but we would prefer apple trees of different types. Also given thought about best time to plant and which fertilizer to give them a start. Needs a discussion with the garden centre (we have a choice of 2 very good ones) before we actually go ahead.

Getting the existing bushes out is no real problem , my chain saw can deal with most of that although I suspect some roots may be impossible to get out.

apple and pear trees grow well next to each other and the nice thing about pear trees is that the autumn colour can be spectacular.

We did have 2 apple and 1 pear tree but too close together in that small area so very little fruit. New place will allow more room

project apple tree started Day 1

Cut down the top of the big green bush and got the bits bagged up ready for the dump. Already a large area has opened up ,amazing how much room that bush took up

https://i.imgur.com/c2b5UyM.jpg

Day 2 more than likely getting rid of it all before commencing trunk removal

decided to have a go this afternoon at getting the tree out. Took me 3 hours and eventually with sons help we got it out. the roots were horrendous . That will be cleaned and chain sawed tomorrow. Got it out around 4.15pm eventually

Putting your apple trees next to a fence is giving your neighbour half of the fruit.

He might even give you some doodah for allowing fallen apples to pollute his lovely lawn.
:wink:

Ted
We are only planning to have trees no taller than 6 ft in other words fence height. Sue doesn’t want tall trees like before because she couldn’t reach

We have fantastic neighbours anyway. The ones on the other side of that fence paid half towards replacing a panel nad everyone is are so friendly without being interfering.
So tomorrow weather permitting that stump will get cut up and hopefully start on the other bush. You should see our garage, bag upon bag of garden stuff to go to the dump. Luckily it is all in the back half of our large garage and out of the way more or less.
that stump in the last photo weighs a ton or so it seems, can just about roll it over. it will be better when we knock the earth off

day 2

Yet another trip to the dump completed this morning and attacked the other bush as well. Managed to get it out and just got to get the earth off the stump. still in bottom picture

apart from that the area is now ready to prepared for whatever digging over and fertilizer.

Just measured and it about 20ft cleared, so looks like just 2 apple trees

Just ordered the trees both apple, one is a James grieve and the other is called Fiesta (both are M27 )

Years ago I moved a mandarin tree and an orange tree because of a pending house extension.

Before I moved them the fruit was lovely but after I moved them the fruit was only fit for marmalade. They have now gone to meet their maker and been replaced by a lemon tree and chilli plants.

ready now for trees when they come

Nice work realspeed but I don’t envy you your aching muscles. Hope you had a nice hot bath.

It must be fabulous to live in a country where you can grow oranges and lemons in your garden. Can you grow avocados and mangoes too?

The most I’ve managed are three lemons in about ten years from the lemon tree which is in a pot in the bathroom. Thinking of chucking it as it’s developing sticking residue on the leaves which seems to get all over the windowsill.

have done but better if I had shared the bath, know what I mean ;-):wink:

Always helps to have someone there to scrub your back! :wink:

Mangos definitely, my friend has several trees which crop well, I am not sure about Avocados purely because I know no one that does. NSW is pretty much at the southern limit of Mango growth - I don’t think you would grow them commercially in NSW.

My same friend has a Jack Fruit tree, every year the fruit starts and every year the August cold westerly winds make them drop off. The poor tree has never had a crop in 20 years - too far south for it.

Funny thing is that my father who lived in Folkestone and had several greenhouses just to grow tomatoes was more than a bit miffed when he visited and saw a tomato plant growing from my compost heap full of fruit.

My chilli plants have a bit of trouble surviving the winter some years - not this year it has been so warm.

Just had notification the apple trees will be delivered tomorrow

So is there something you will do after you plant them to encourage the fruit? I seem to recall my dad putting a cutting from another tree onto a plum tree and the cutting would eventually become a branch?