New apple tree position?

That’s the first thing I thought too, Ted.
Personally Bazza, I would prefer a fruit tree where I could all the way round it, but that’s just me.

The second thing was, won’t you will struggle to repaint the fence as the trees grow?

One of my neighbours has trees next to the dividing fence and its a darn nuisance because the roots are all over my flower beds!

Mups

The ones we ordered are only 5ft tall and just as wide. so there will be plenty of room, not like the bushes we removed, you couldn’t get behind them

Didn’t come across any roots other than the bush ones and they were cut right back.

before we undertook this project all things were carefully thought through first. Such as will they fit with bushes no out and gone- will there be enough sun for them- will they be in a wind position-will they get too close to the fence- will we be able to get the right size- is it the right type of soil or have to add to it (ordered root growth fertilizer) -will they need support ( oreded support stakes . even looked up about cross pollination and distance apart

Didn’t want huge great trees they would not fit, also considered plum tree as well but a certain little madam(Teazle) might try eating a fallen one and get the stone stuck in her throat. So that idea was rejected

With citrus trees the best thing to encourage them to fruit is to get any male in the house to relieve himself on the surrounding ground occasionally.

Best keep her away from fallen apples too, Bazza, as not only do they usually have wasps in them, apple (and Cherry) pips contain Cyanide!

This is a useful for a quick check about fruit and dogs:

trees arrived

Just unpacked in here. Too windy outside to leave as is incase they fall over. Massive great stakes to give them support as well, not those that came with the tree as in photo

Or mulch the area with old cruise brochures. :mrgreen:

:smiling_face: the lemon tree pot is located conveniently on the window sill right next to the loo!

I bet that takes a bit of practice. :lol:

here you are little apple trees your new home

They look terribly close to the fence.

They only spread about 2ft or there abouts, they are already as tall as tbey get more or less.they are not huge trees

No harm bringing them forward a tad. May generate more fruit if they have a bit more space.

support stake cut down a bit . They were banged in with a sledge hammer so wont move.

Ann
If they came forward more then they would make walking down the path more awkward. Not going to shift them now the root growth pellets and fertilizer are also put in. Moving . them 6 inches is not going to make much difference anyway.

the earth is so wet so they will have a good soaking apart from the water from the rain butt.

See that patch of earth a bit further along on the right. There were to standard size apple trees and a pear tree planted there about a foot apart. Far too close together which is why they didn’t do much in the way of fruiting

Fingers crossed they will fruit. How long does it take - 2 years?

I’ve only just come across this thread.

They’ll look lovely when they’re in blossom.:slight_smile:

only hope now is they havn’t got too wet with all this rain before the roots get established. its a mud bath there at the moment,even though the soil around was well forked over

Update

I was worrying if these new apple trees would survive all this wet weather. So just been out to check and very tiny red tips on the branches have got a bit bigger

https://imgur.com/FOtIGBd So fingers crossed so far so good as they say

Sue had the idea of putting stones around the base of the trees. First to keep the ground moist underneath, and as the area around has flowers/grass or whatever added later on the trees won’t get hit with mowing etc

buds beginning to open

Baby has a leaf