My heating came on this morning

Yep, those were the days … :cold_face:

I was so glad that, by 1963, we had a house with an inside toilet - other kids didn’t and froze to the outside toilet seat with a candle for company … :candle:

1 Like

I turn mine on manually and temperature wise have it around 19 degrees

That is chilly but OK if your moving around and put on a jumper or fleece

In the evening sitting down we wear our hoodies!

1 Like

Isn’t 19 about 66 degrees?
People go away for winter sun at 18/19 degrees so considered warm.

2 Likes

It’s not warm .

1 Like

It’s warm enough for us, we just put on more clothes and move about a bit!

But it might feel a bit chilly if you were sitting a lot

I think the recommended temperature for occupied rooms is 18 to 22 degrees. So we’re keeping ours at the lower end?

We turn the thermoset down to come on at 17 in the night though, because we don’t like hot
bedrooms but neither do we want to expire from hypothermia in the night if there’s a sudden frost!

1 Like

I couldn’t possibly be anything but cold in temperatures below 20 .
I have all five radiators open and can afford to keep my flat warm 24 / 7 so I’m comfortable .
Can’t bear layers of clothing ,extra jumpers and the like . I sit watching tv in lounge wear and if I was to go into care I’d expect my room to be warm enough do the same .
Maybe some people not pension age and in receipt of the WFP can’t afford to put their heating on so don’t jump on me .

2 Likes

I think as long as you can afford it you should do what’s comfortable and fits in with your lifestyle

We’ve got a big, old house to heat, so turning down the thermostat does save a couple of bob!

We’re active in the day and don’t sit around much so it suits us and we don’t mind putting on our Oodies in the evening to snuggle up because we look cute, like post apocalypse bunnies :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

its rare for winter temperatures to reach 19c winter here in the U.K.
Warmer climate yes, but it’s dry air unlike the damp cold air we experience here every winter.
Prolonged time spent in poorly heated homes …temperatures under 18c is considered a risk to health.
That’s the truth of the matter.
Especially for the 60+ somethings .

It’s was very cold in wiltshire last winter .
It was down to -10 In my garden in some places were -12
Killed a lot of plants
It was like the day after tomorrow.

2 Likes

Our flat was cold, coal fires so it was only warm around the fire. Later we had parafin heaters, incredibly smelly and dangerous :scream:

You could see your breath in the bedrooms in the winter, there was ice on the windows and the bathroom and toilet were icy, although inside

I can remember sitting by the fire and hanging on as long as possible to avoid going into that cold

Like you, my mum and Gran did their best to keep us warm, getting up early to get the fire going, letting us strip wash or use the old tin bath in the sitting room by the fire, hot water bottles, big heavy ancient eiderdowns. A very fond memory of my childhood is when they’d put my school knickers, vest and socks to warm up on the fire guard before I got dressed in the morning……it was bliss slipping into those! :rofl:

It was hard, though and I wouldn’t want to do it again and I know some people are having to :frowning:

3 Likes

Quite … reality bites … :frowning_face:

1 Like

I had very similar winters.not the knickers though.

3 Likes

You don’t know what you were missing :rofl:

2 Likes

IIRC, girls school knickers (with a hidden hanky pocket) used to look like this:

All-round protection … :wink:

2 Likes

Mine were a bit like that, but navy blue and not quite as industrial, they were called Cherub for some reason? :woman_shrugging: And I didn’t get a hanky pocket!

Still substantial enough to play netball in with no blushes!

2 Likes

Like this?

Girls GENUINE CHERUB Navy School Knickers

2 Likes

Yes, those are my drawers!

I’m blushing now……:blush::blush::blush::blush:

1 Like

I’m going to get funny adverts if the thread continues like this. :grinning:

2 Likes

As if you don’t already! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Nah, I remember being aquanted with Jack Frost.
I never met him in person but he left his icy traces on the window panes.

Not to mention climbing into chilly cotton sheets as a kid but I never felt really cold.

I’d share a tin of Heinz tomato soup with my sister before bedtime and maybe a hot OXO drink with a good pinch of white pepper. My Nan used to have a metal hot water bottle that she’d wrap up in a towel for me.
A serious piece of kit… it’d still be warm in the morning, a health and safety nightmare these days.

4 Likes