My heating came on this morning

That’s why it’s better to be poor in a warm country .
Being cold it’s my main worry I hate it

3 Likes

Dont be so tight … spend a few sheckles and feed that meter😉

1 Like

I lived in Scotland on the hills. We didn’t have central heating. In fact the main house we the only one heated as a rule. Snow was a regular thing for us.

1 Like
1 Like

So very correct. Currently I’m enjoying Europe’s warm spell. Ate lunch outdoors today.

1 Like

Hi
It is definitely autumnal.

I feel the cold as I am on some powerful blood thinners.

I live downstairs and keep my lounge at 20.5C The room is insulated and all the other radiators are turned off.

It has a gas fire and it works for me.

1 Like

It’s not cold at all, a bit of an autumnal chill in the air certainly. I haven’t had the heating on yet…if I do it’s likely to be a quick blast first thing in the morning which I’ll do manually.

1 Like

What are you talking about ?
I do I can’t believe people who can live comfortably at 16-18 degrees .it’s ok if you are outside moving but in a house . No way Jose .

That’s the method I prefer to use .
I live in a flat and from my bedroom can hear the thermostat click on during the night at times which it’s been doing for a while up here .

2 Likes

My heating didn’t come on this morning. It’s been beautifully comfortable weather for the last couple days. But it was cooling down the week before that. I turned the heater on for a few days last week.

1 Like

Hi you say lived ….maybe you were younger than 65yrs at the time , as it’s the 65+ age group that are most at risk from cardio and lung conditions brought on by poor heating 18c and lower .
If you’re still on a hill without heating, maybe get yourself cosy thermals ASAP :wink:

1 Like

We find 17/18 a comfortable temperature. My parents and grandparents generations didn’t have central heating, insulation, double glazing, Ugg boots or puffa jackets yet all managed to live long lives as did millions of others.
I think people have become like delicate greenhouse plants.

2 Likes

We like to take control: turn the heating ON/OFF when WE want.

4 Likes

That’s the point it’s not a good idea to get comfortable to lower temperatures about the home .
As you remarked your parents and grandparents didn’t have
home comforts in the winter …central heating, insulation, double glazing, Ugg boots or puffa jackets yet they managed.
Yes they managed but it doesn’t mean now days it’s acceptable to * manage* .
Especially when in todays world it’s well known the health risks of living in a cold home …look online.
Me I’d rather take note and not become a delicate flower due to ill health.

4 Likes

Haven’t needed any heat on in the mornings or daytime but put it on a couple of evenings when I wanted a shower because I love a warm bathroom and hot towels.

1 Like

We haven’t put the heating on yet, the weather station is showing a comfortable 20°C indoors at the moment.

I dread the cold days arrive.

1 Like

They were probably less comfortable though they might have lived long and miserable lives ! I froze in our house as only one room was heated by the fire everywhere else was very cold .
As a child I suffered from chilblains on my hands and feet probably due to waiting for buses in the cold in inadequate school shoes .
Also not everyone’s parents and grandparents lived to a ripe old age both my grandfathers died young . Lots of people died or had bad health .

3 Likes

Yes undoubtedly they were colder, but the point I was making is that now many of us have double glazing, insulation, warmer clothes, boots, etc. so even if we used the heating they did, electric , gas and coal fires we would still be warmer. I don’t think their long lives were miserable, they coped and were maybe less dissatisfied than present generations.

Times were 'ard and winter killed:

In 2021/22 there were 13,400 excess winter deaths in England and Wales, compared with 60,760 excess winter deaths in the previous winter. Since 1950, the highest number of excess winter deaths occurred in the winter of 1950/51 with 106,400 excess deaths, with the second-worst winter being 1962/63, when there were approximately 89,600 excess winter deaths.

I don’t remember 1950/51 but I do remember 1962/63. During daylight hours I was permanently wet and/or cold and, after the coal supply was cut, there was no huddling around a fire for an hour or two in the evenings, either … :cold_face:

1 Like

As kids we lived in a freezing cold house , it had no insulation at all and I believe single brick, under the wooden floorboards was a huge earth cellar so the cold came in everywhere . My poor mum wore a coat all day and every day until the only coal fire was lit in the living room . There were heavy door curtains everywhere, cheap rugs and lino on the wood floors . My mum was so brave and made sure us kids were as warm as could be with good stews that would stick to our ribs like glue . Being a kid I didn’t realise how she would have suffered in the freezing house and only lit the fire about 5pm when we got in from school .

I hate being cold and my priority in the house is warmth and good food ( that sticks to my ribs like glue :slightly_smiling_face:)

3 Likes