My first Strawberries!

Thanks to reading information and tips from other members on the forum, I decided to have a go at growing my very first strawberries! :mrgreen:

My first picking today which will be sampled after lunch! :lol:

1 Like

Well done Mags !
They look scrumptious.
Mine are no where near eating stage yet and it will be a race between me and the slugs who gets them first !

Thanks Muddy :smiley: mine are grown in troughs with netting draped over them … so far, so good. :slight_smile:

Looks a great crop Mags, and just by coincidence we had our first ones this morning too, although just the one each up to yet! :slight_smile:

They look yummy Mags. Well done.
Mine are still green. :slight_smile:

Oh these look so delicious! Enjoy them, Mags! :smiley:

They look lovely Mags. :slight_smile: I’ve had a few ripen but I’ve eaten them straight from the plant, so nothing to show. :slight_smile:

Well done Mags :slight_smile: they look lovely.
I have only green strawberries on my plants so far, I re potted them and that seemed to set them back.

Perfection, well done. Mouthwatering with champagne, to celebrate your success.

My goodness…mine are still flowering…Enjoy

What variety are they, Mags?

You get varieties??

Yeah. There must be at least 10 different varieties available in the supermarkets. There are probably many more grown by smaller and non-commercial growers.

Well I never knew that. I always thought strawbs, were strawbs. Having looked it up though, I also discovered that you get different varieties of tomato as well. Who knew! :smiley:

If you see any yellow toms, buy some. They are the sweetest and tastiest and beat red toms hands down in my opinion.

Yes, there are many varieties of strawberry but I reckon any of the British grown strawberries are far better in taste than those from abroad and in the supermarkets when our’s are out of season or are still growing. If you can get past the first photograph on this website (delicious) other varieties are shown:

Tomatoes are just the same, plenty of varieties but again as with strawberries, I believe none of those in the supermarkets are as good in taste as our own home-grown ones:

Ok, thanks Percy, I will do. I’m glad you said that, because I would walk by the yellow ones in favour of the more familiar red ones.

Not that I have had a sheltered life or anything…well maybe in veggie world I have :shock::lol:

Interesting reading there, Baz, thank you! I was shocked to see the size of those beef tomatoes though - they were like a bloomin’ pumpkin!! :shock:

I think there are getting on for 50 varieties Pixie. It depends if you want Early, Mid Season, or Late fruiting ones. :slight_smile:

Just imagine the cheese and tomato sandwiches made using those with a nice, strong, mature Cheddar cheese! :wink: :slight_smile: