Mum sparks debate by refusing to have non-vegan food at her kid's birthday party

This I completely agree with :+1:

2 Likes

@Dextrous ," Custardy " ???
Donkeyman! :roll_eyes::roll_eyes:!!

@Maree , Bravo ! Bravo!
Donkeyman! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Agree with this. But I was also thinking. . . why is this in a newspaper? It’s not news. It’s a family squabble aired out in public.

I also see why some people see ads. When I clicked on the article, I couldn’t see a single bit of it. The whole thing was blocked by my ad blocker. It’s like an ad billboard.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have told the other kids about vegan food in the first place - although it sounds like the kids parents are as fussy as they are, so they wouldn’t have kept it from them.
My grandkids love my “tomato” soup but if they knew I blended in a few other veg into it - veg they wouldn’t eat if it was on a plate in front of them - they wouldn’t even try the soup!

Now it’s got to this point, I would compromise and say, OK, I’ll make Pizza, chips and chocolate cake

All vegan but I wouldn’t tell them it was!

Normal home made chips cooked in vegetable oil are vegan anyway, so fill the fussy devils up with chips and slices of vegan margherita pizza.

I’m not a vegan but I’d have a piece of this vegan cake! :grinning:

As for the Judgement on Mum for what she was feeding her daughter at 3 months to find she had allergies, maybe she had to start giving her daughter formula milk for some reason we don’t know about and her dairy allergy showed up from that?
Don’t know if testing for dairy may bring up other possible allergies or not - or maybe they found the egg allergy a bit later?

We don’t know the full story, really.

1 Like

Oh, God! Can’t you give us a simpler riddle? :slightly_smiling_face:

What a storm in a teacup .
Don’t tell anyone just give them vegan food .
Party food is really bad for kids anyway full of sugar makes the little beggars bounce off the walls .

1 Like

Yes, you’re right, I’m bad to get judgey without the full facts, it could have been an allergy to baby formula and eggs later.

And it sounds to me as if it’s a first baby and we’re all incredibly uptight and stressy over them, and try to do everything perfect, by the time you get to the third or fourth parents are a lot more chilled!

I just think it’s a daft thing to fall out over your family with and there’s really no need to feed the other people vegan when the baby with the allergies will only need a tiny plateful of finger food anyway

I think I would start explaining to her cousins why she can’t eat certain things, though. Kids can be very supportive of each other and the sooner they know, the sooner they’ll start watching out.

Mind you, you can get some really good vegan now, even caterpiller cake!

I’m late to this thread and haven’t read all comments, so forgive me if I’m echoing what others have said.

I don’t really understand why this mother is insisting on vegan food only, when her child has allergies only to dairy and eggs. Going from the information given (there may be more to it), her daughter is perfectly able to eat a full range of other non-vegan foods providing they don’t contain these two products. So why say anything to invited guests? Just provide a buffet that is free from eggs and dairy, not in the least bit difficult with all the available ‘free from’ choices in most supermarkets these days. We don’t know if ‘dairy’ means all milk products, or only those formulated from cows’ milk. If the latter, then she can have goats cheese, sheep’s cheese or buffalo mozzarella, all of which can be used for pizza and other cheese based foods.

Yes, I understand the need to guard her child from potential harm, but this little girl does have to learn to make sensible food choices, and by feeding her a vegan only diet, totally unnecessary in my opinion, she will not be learning about her allergies.

1 Like

Alas, not the case:

FYI the story related to the child’s first birthday party. Think she might be a little young to be making cognitive choices :wink:

1 Like

Ah, I didn’t spot that, she should be over herself by now then :rofl:

I wonder if her other children are vegan or on special diets? If not, I. Bet they enjoy a sneaky pizza and chips with their dad👨‍👦‍👦

I’m just thankful there was none of this nonsense when I was growing up and going to Parties. Back then a party was all about Cake, Sandwiches, Ice Crean n Jelly. lots of games to be played.

3 Likes

And look how you turned out, eh Rox.

:grin::yum::joy::joy:

Hhhmmmmmmmmmm. :open_mouth: :shushing_face: :thinking:

1 Like

Exactamundo, that’s a birthday party, and no ruddy vegan soup :carrot::onion::potato::sweet_potato::leafy_green::bowl_with_spoon::woozy_face:

4 Likes

Yes I appreciate that Dex, but I’m guessing she’s planning on a vegan diet for life for her daughter. If not, then why do it just for her first birthday?

1 Like

We agree Bathsheba. In any case, sometimes we can overcome allergies by not avoiding things that affect us.

We agree again Dex! I would be worried that by avoiding foods to which the child is not allergic she could over time become allergic to them.

1 Like