Mum sparks debate by refusing to have non-vegan food at her kid's birthday party

Oh and another thing, as a fully paid up earth mother, breast feeding, National Childbirth Trust, natural birth hippy, what the hell was she thinking giving her baby eggs and dairy at 3 months anyway?

That’s far too young to be weaning a baby and especially eggs, early introduction of those foods can cause allergies

3 Likes

You’d be well suited to a mushroom farm as a dung turner before the spores are sprinkled :astonished::point_right::wink::grin:

1 Like

Funnily enough, I was just about to ask about what sort of infant food has eggs and dairy in it. Genuine question.

1 Like

No idea…its been over 30 years since I dealt with baby food. Things will have changed. I used to puree regular food in the blender when weaning my two.

1 Like

This’ll keep you good … get a pad and pencil and sit and do anagrams of all the member’s names…Sourdext. :clown_face:

4 Likes

Even the NHS says no eggs or cow’s milk until at least six months, someone call social services! :joy:

1 Like

Hoorah. Have just got a late request for a tutorial instead. A whole hour of fractions. Mmmmmm, lovverley.

1 Like

My four girls were raised on hens eggs as soon as they started on solids… I’d mash the boiled eggs up with Farley’s rusks in milk and they wolfed it down :ok_hand: … a joy to watch.

2 Likes

No doubt it was LD. Were they as young as 3 months though when you started?

2 Likes

I used to love Farley’s Rusks even as a kid and would munch one after school

3 Likes

Blimey, I cant remember, but I think at 3 months they were still on the ti … breast.

1 Like

Well, exactly, who are these mum’s who can’t wait to ram a three course meal down ‘em at 3 months?

2 Likes

You called me mean for (jokingly) bringing up the concept of custody about 30 mins ago. Weirdly, it might not have been quite so wild a thought after all!!

1 Like

To avoid all this unnecessary fuss and unpleasantness.

1 Like

Alright, so it is just in this one instance, she should compromise, or in years to come when her child gets older?

Like the mum points out, her child is going to have to cope with situations like this all her life, so just for once, I agree with her about people doing it her child’s way, just for one time.

I certainly would not serve two lots of food - as in vegan and non vegan. There would be one meal provided - I would just not bother mentioning it was vegan. The poor child will have enough to cope with as she grows without being made to feel an outcast by her friends/relatives as well.

Whatever happened to good manners? If you go to someones house for a meal - you eat what you are given.

3 Likes

Oh I agree with you there!

Who is making it unpleasant…the mum for being so pro-vegan, or the others who are protesting?

I wouldn’t be making two meals either, to be honest. I would make one, make it vegan and…and…see this is bit…would I say or would I not. Hmm, I think I would actually. Not to be mean or anything, or make life difficult…but it would be about my child’s birthday, and that wouldn’t be up to me to accommodate everyone else’s dietary wants or needs for that one day.

1 Like

@PixieKnuckles - Excellent post, Pixie!

1 Like

I’m with the husband in this one.

Oh come on though, her nephews are kids too, would it really hurt her to cook up a few chips and pizzas for them? ( and for her old man too, by the sound of it, don’t think he fancies vegan soup!)

When her daughter goes to their parties, will she hope the auntie will cater for her daughters allergies by knocking out some tasty dairy and egg free offerings?

The babe is only one, she won’t notice and a plate of finger food will do the job nicely.

Kids parties are about having family fun and looking after each other, not getting on your high horse.

But I doubt if it’s really about the food. This sounds like one of those “my family vs your family” situations that young families sometimes get into. It her and her mum and a cauldron of vegan soup on the moral high ground versus him and his family and a truckload of Dominos.

What nonsense over a tots birthday. And while that little one won’t notice what food she gets she will sense the tension and her family divided into sides, nice birthday present.

And she’s a silly girl to go on the internet air their dirty linen in public. Trying to get total strangers to join her in having a pop at him and his family and make a show of them, like some amateur Jeremy Kyle show, that’s a wound that’ll take a long time to heal, if ever

4 Likes