Mum fuming as 'intrusive' neighbours won't stop talking to her when she's in the garden

• Given that Summer is mostly upon us (for some :wink: ) I just wondered what constitutes too much chat? Everyone will be out in their garden, so how much is too much chatting over the garden fence?

• my dog ran straight into the next doors house from the garden yesterday as I was bringing in washing. They were making dinner and had the door open. I was mortified and kept apologising, but they thought it was hilarious. :flushed:

I always take next doors Wheelie Bin in, after collection, they take ours in a bit Ad Hoc, what does that mean? :grinning:

1 Like

It means Bin Wars!

They talk ā€œtrashā€ about you to their neighbours because you wonā€™t leave their bins alone :joy:

That is a possibility.

@PixieKnuckles ,. Nah, it means the bin is in the way of Spitties car !!
Donkeyman! :grin::grin:

We have brilliant neighbours. Yes we chat some but usually not usually hugely. We did have the Jubilee at our house and we had eight of our neighbours for a few hours which was rather pleasant. Most days we stroll the dog and enjoy a wee chat on the way.

Iā€™ve changed my answer on this over the years. In the beginning, I tried to be nice. But that was an invitation for one neighbor to blast music constantly, for another neighbor to have his dog use my yard as his fetching area, another neighbor to have his kids play on my lawn all day every day. Chatting with them makes all of these worse. Telling them to stop doesnā€™t change anything. Now I try to ignore them as much as possible.

Donā€™t you have boundary fences where you live?
How on earth to people use your garden if it is fenced?

Part of my yard is fenced and part of it is not.

I never speak to my neighbour at allā€¦
Certainly would hate them chatting over the fence or making a noise .
I feel sorry for the poor woman

One of our neighbours seems to pounce on us or the one the other side as soon as we go out the back , I know they donā€™t in reality, but sometimes you just want to be out there in your own bubble.

1 Like

My neighbours are sheepā€¦they never shut up but we have some good conversations sometimes :slight_smile:

Itā€™s a weird set up where we live. Our house has garden all round it. Our neighbours whose house is actually nowhere near ours have to walk up a tiny path alongside one side of our garden to reach their garden where it then opens out. We canā€™t even see their house from ours. That is completely private as we planted a big hedge many years ago. The side where their path is you can just see a head passing by as we have a fence and lovely tall shrubs.

In the winter we can see them a bit more on the path as the shrubs have died down and we just say hello if I am hanging washing out.

She is as quiet as a mouse but he is SO loud and canā€™t speak, he can only shout. They spend a lot of time in their garden as their house is dark and gloomy and when he is on full volume I just stick my music in my ears!

Well surely thereā€™s your answer then. Get your property fenced.

The part that is not fenced is not allowed to be fenced by ordinance.

We only speak to neighbours at the front of the house.
I wouldn`t like them hanging over the garden fence,then again our 6ft conifers would deter that.

Neighbours are a strange dynamic. Previously I lived in a tenament of 8 flats, and you passed each other on the shared stairway on a daily basis, so got to know everyone pretty well, and they knew youā€¦to the point where daily discussions of what you were watching on tv,/ what you were having for dinner,/ did you hear the racket coming from so and soā€™s house, took place. The back garden was nothing special - certainly not for sitting out in.

Now I have moved to a street where the neighbours are lovely, but I barely see them. They smile and say hello, but there is no chat other than a ā€œHi how are you?ā€ Friendly but not at all intrusive. I much prefer it this way. Everyone just gets on with their own day. I really couldnā€™t cope if every time I went into the garden, a neighbour would pop out for a chat - I think I would end up being a bit rude and asking them just to leave me alone! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Our houses are above the ground at the back so we have steps , its at the top facing across that she seeā€™s us or over the gate which I suppose I could put up a big one to stop it, its not an issue really.

Easy solution.
Tell them youā€™re a bit deaf and you donā€™t use hearing aids except for tv.
Then when they speak you can just ignore them.

1 Like

I had a neighbour before I moved, who was hard of hearing. They yelled at the top of their all the time, even when they had their hearing aids in.

ā€œAHā€™VE MAH EEEEERS IN THE DAY - AH KIN HEEER YE FINE!!!ā€ :joy: The sound of their voice echoing through the close was deafening in itself!

1 Like