Mum fuming as 'intrusive' neighbours won't stop talking to her when she's in the garden

I thought that you women like to talk a lot. It’s what women do, isn’t it? :wink:

2 Likes

Very funny :roll_eyes: Although, we do get more sense out of chatting with each other, than we do with you men mumbling and grumbling around the place :joy:

When my children were young we were the only young people in the street, all the rest were pensioners

They were very kind and friendly but it was a right old gossip shop, they had plenty of time in their hands and loved a good old chat and the back gardens were quite open, with only 3 ft fences allowed in bet between

We used to joke it was like a zombie film. You stepped out in the garden and very old people started converging on you very slowly! If I was nippy, I could get the washing in before they noticed me and got there :rofl:

There was no answer really, I used to sneak out and sit in the corner so they couldn’t see me, carry on with what I was doing if it was gardening and not stop to chat, run noisy garden equipment etc. yes, they got on my wick

The trouble is, like this young mum, you’re spare time is precious and you don’t always want to spend it hearing their life stories

But you’re not assertive enough to tell them so

If it happened to me now, I’d chat for 5 minutes, then say “it’s been nice to chat but I need some “me” time in the garden now so enjoy the rest of your day”, then move away, start doing something, sit in the chair with my book or put on my headphones

If they didn’t give up, I’d just repeat it until they did, and stop responding

But that’s me now, I wasn’t like that when I was young

1 Like

When my two were very young we had elderly neighbours who were the loveliest old couple - one of those that had been married for hundreds of years, and still held hands walking down the street. They were very friendly and loved the kids to bits. The husband died, and his wife developed Alzheimers very very quickly after that, and started putting all manner of things through our letterbox then accusing us of going into her house and stealing things! It was very sad, (and scary) for all concerned.

1 Like

My neighbours I’m very lucky no complaints from me.
Quiet and unobtrusive… yet friendly when passing . Perfect.

I use that tactic on my wife!

1 Like

I love to chat with neighbours, but the only one I ever had an issue with, was when I rented an upstairs flat (from a mate of my dad). The guy underneath, was a pensioner, and had time on his hands, and an allotment.

The train station, that would get me into London to work, was about 5-7 minutes walk away, around the corner and across the road. I would time my leaving home so I didn’t have to wait long on the platform. Old Tom would hear me go down the stairs, and open up his door for a chat. Argh!!! No matter how many times I told him I was on my way to work, it didn’t deter him.

I hardly went out evenings so he had plenty of time to knock later if he needed to talk.

Huh. You’re asking for a thick ear, young man. :laughing: