Money Owed: Legal Action

Hi all, some months ago I bought & paid for something via a website, was told there would be a delay, then there was delay after delay. I cancelled, asked for a refund, received an email on 01/07/22 stating the amount etc., saying:

“The Refund Should Appear On Your Bank Statement Within 5-10 Working Days”

Today is the 12th working day, the £00 has not appeared.

Now, I think I saw something here on OFC about taking legal action via a website (?) Thought I’d phone or email with a threat of legal action, to begin with, then do it.

How would you handle it? What action would you recommend?

Are you in the UK?

How did you pay for the item originally?
If it was a card payment, was it a debit card or a credit card?

I’ve used:

1 Like

In the UK yes. I paid by debit card.

Thanks but I’ve used Resolver before for a flight delayed by many hours. They were hopeless.

Been to the Resolver website, put in the company name: Oak Furniture Hut

Says they are not listed.

Did you pay by PayPal, D00d? Usually they are quite good at resolving issues like this.

Ah, not the same protection as with a credit card .

1 Like

@d00d , I’ve just seen charge back mentioned on the goverment web, see if this applies.

1 Like

The previous poster has already explained why I asked the question.

If you paid by Debit Card, the option I would try first is the Chargeback Claim.

There are time limits with this, so I would contact your card provider/bank to start the ball rolling with your claim.
They should advise you what you need to do but here is a recent article from Money Saving Expert to explain it too.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclaim/visa-mastercard-chargeback/

Good Luck!

Well I found them alright, dOOd?

https://www.oakfurniturehut.co.uk/

That’s them. But they are not one of the companies Resolver can offer help with, apparently.

Nah … HSBC debit card.

Can’t your bank cancel the payment for you dOOd?

Thanks guys, I’ll look into this.

Never pay by debit card, credit cards offer you more protection as the credit card company is half liable in most cases.

You may now need to take them to a small claims court, you can do this online:

1 Like

That payment was made months ago. I’m sure the bank can’t reverse that.

No harm in asking them for advice, though.
I would.

You are right.

1 Like

Yes, you’ve been a victim of fraud tell them, you’ve paid for something and haven’t received the goods.

1 Like