Microsoft Office 365 - Excel - Automatic Cell Copy

I have encountered an unplanned change in a spreadsheet:

Here’s a current extract, with the cell to be changed indicated:

However, changing the contents of that cell changes the contents of the cells below in the section:

This does not happen in the following section:

Presumably, a cell setting has been changed but which one?

:017:

1 Like

Thats very odd, what happens if you change the Wednesday entry figures? One be our seems to be a copy paste fill and the other an autofill, maybe it was the way you selected the blocks at the time which differed?

Changed 1 date in Tuesday - the remainder of the date cells remain unaffected.

That is odd as I can’t imagine a need for you to have filled those day blocks in different ways when you originally set it up.

I asked my husband and he hasnt got a clue either. Sorry that nothing springs to mind but I hope you let us know if you do work it out.

Thanks for trying … :+1:

I have copied and pasted from the previous section - there is now no automatic entry of data in the cells.

Did any of the cells have formulas in them? If you click on the cells that are changing, when you click on them, are they formatted differently than the others?

Without looking at the spreadsheet, my guess would be that for those cells that are copying, someone dragged the handle of the bottom right corner of the cell to several below it. That would make it copy that cell.

Try Home > Find and Select > Formulas

See if any cells are selected

if any are selected then

Formulas > Show Formulas will display the formulas.

Saves fiddling about clicking in individual cells

No formulas in any cells. No discernible format differences in the cells. No handle-dragging (AutoFill).

I thought it might be FlashFill but couldn’t see how that applied.

It’s a mystery … :017:

1 Like

Are you sure that the cells don’t change format to text or another variation? By that I don’t mean the date column but those in the preceding three columns. Or is there a filter on this? Any merged cells or spaces after the titles?

1 Like

None of those, either … all other cells are functioning normally.

could be the empty cells you’re filling into have a different format. I don’t know how you set up the spreadsheet and whether it’s brand new or with data part pasted from elsewhere. But excel is detecting a change of some sort, font size, hidden characters, header format, absolute references etc impossible to tell looking at just three columns and not knowing the history. Without seeing a demo not sure how you’re triggering autofill either - are you double clicking the fill handle in the bottom right hand corner of the cell?

My own experience of this is that the newest versions of excel are more annoying for their assumptions of what I want to autofill. It gets carried away and I had to switch it off.

1 Like

This Excel file was originally created back in the '90’s, as an insert for my Filofax - it must have gone through thousands of design changes since then.

Since I’m now now on MS Office 365 I’m always running on the latest software. I’ve had two reportable bugs so, bearing in mind the enthusiasm of AutoFill, perhaps this is a third. I’ll refer it to MS.

I’ll also create a brand-new version of the file … :grin:

2 Likes

IIRC, the original (pre-Excel) file was created using MS Works at home:

and later imported into MS Office at work:

IIRC, the retail cost of MS Office 97 was over $500 … :scream_cat: … MS Works was free … :+1:

Didn’t works used to have a version of publisher on it?

1 Like

Not as far as I remember … :thinking:

1 Like

MS works - that’s a blast from the past.

It’s still available, apparently:

https://microsoft_works.en.downloadastro.com/

I wonder how stable it is in the current windows framework. I’ve used open office for years. Basic but useful.

I might try it on an old PC … :wink:

1 Like

You’re probably thinking of M$ Money rather than Publisher. I still have my original CD of Works and it includes Money

2 Likes