Microsoft Office 365 - Excel - Automatic Cell Copy

See? Keeping stuff comes in handy. That’s why I keep stuff.

I don’t remember MS Works. Lately, I’ve been using Google docs. Kinda slow, but I got tired of upgrading Excel versions.

Omah, excellent idea to make back-up copies before trying to find the problem. When I did a search for formulas once, everything got messed up because it’s easy to forget that all cells are highlighted by the search so a change in one changes all the others.

You don’t need to search for formulas you can just go to options and then select display formula.

1 Like

Maybe I did it wrong, but I remember doing that once. Since all the formulas are displayed, it behaved like a search and anything I did to one cell did it to the others. Then I couldn’t get it to stop because anything I did after that just added to the “formula” in all the selected cells.

Perhaps you pressed control + A? Not sure what you did but best option in such a situation is to undo, undo undo or just close without saving and breathe a sigh of relief! If you use excel then it can restore a previous version if you have a backup feature. so where you go to file open there is a a drop down under file type where you can ask for it to look for last week or last month.

1 Like

Thanks. I back up everything I do before I start something that might not end well. Messing up 10 pages and multiple linked files can be tedious to fix. If it’s a small enough file, I’d just start again.

I’m a Microsoft 365 customer - versioning is now turned on by default - apparently, it automatically saves (up to) the last 500 versions of a document - however, as a personal user, I am able to retrieve only the last 25.

However, for such a simple “error”, I thought a simple question might provide an answer. Rectification was easy but knowing the cause might have been helpful. The “error” has been evident for at least a couple of weeks but was not significant enough for me to take time out to investigate, by which time, of course, the number of versions had proliferated.

I should make more use of the versioning feature … :thinking:

2 Likes

I avoid linking files these days. It just leads to corruption and bugs. I don’t even bother with array formulas - they just lead to misery. Excel is far too resource-hungry when used to full potential. There is always a simpler way to achieve the objective.

The resource issue is interesting because in the good old days when we used to link files to our heart’s desire the package was not so much of a hungry caterpillar. My pet hate is “collaboration” features which assume you’re all going to use the cloud rather than work on a network. They hide old options in a legacy menu.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more.

This is what I see:

The versions go back to 8th February 2022.

You’ll note that I have “AutoSave” turned Off - there’s a good reason for that:

AutoSave is a new feature available in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint for Microsoft 365 subscribers that saves your file automatically, every few seconds, as you work.

AutoSave is enabled by default in Microsoft 365 when a file is stored on OneDrive, OneDrive for Business, or SharePoint Online.