Michael Gove vows to end 'scourge' of empty second homes

Levelling Up Secretary Michael Gove also said new powers to force landlords to rent out empty shops would regenerate urban areas.

The new powers are in the government’s Levelling Up and Regeneration Bill, which started its journey through Parliament on Wednesday.

A separate planning bill containing sweeping plans to replace England’s case-by-case application system with new rules based on zones was abandoned earlier this year, after a backlash from Tory backbenchers.

The government has said it wants to redirect new housing towards under-developed “brownfield” areas in urban areas, and has set higher housing targets for England’s 20 largest towns and cities.

• Councils in England will gain extra powers to force landlords of empty shops to rent out their premises
  • They will also get extra powers to make compulsory purchases designed to contribute towards regeneration
  • Neighbours will be allowed to hold “street votes” to approve or reject house extensions in their area

The new bill will also allow local authorities, from April 2024, to double council tax on owners of second homes that are furnished but unoccupied.

They will also be able to charge the higher rate on unfurnished empty properties after just one year instead of the current two.

In Wales, the Labour-run Welsh government plans to allow councils to charge up to four times the standard level of council tax on second homes.

I doubt whether the proposed measures will achieve any “levelling-up” but, having lived in North Wales, I’m in favour of any measures that penalise “second-home-owners” and, now living in a semi-rural area in Northern England, I’m in favour of any measures that redirect housing developments to “brownfield” areas.

This will be popular in Tiverton.

Is there a by-election in Tiverton soon ?

They really haven’t got a clue.

Who hasn’t? The government? I do hope they get second home owners digging deep into their pockets to pay for the privilege. So many people are being forced away from their families because they simply can’t get a home of their own in the place they grew up in. if you want a second home, buy a caravan :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

This could affect a lot of MPs with second homes.

Good. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Quite right … :+1:

In Wales, the Labour-run Welsh government plans to allow councils to charge up to FOUR TIMES the standard level of council tax on second homes.

Is that deep enough for you … :wink:

1 Like

But but but — second home owners already must have dug deep in order to buy that second home! And if people have to move to places where there are properties they can afford then basically tough!

Thats a good start, yes! :+1:

The point is, if you have a second house, you are depriving someone of having a home. Given the amount of homelessness in this country, don’t you think it’s a bit unfair? So many families for example, are cooped up and B&B’s or hostels…surely that’s not right?

1 Like

So what? No I certainly don’t think it’s unfair. As for some families being in B&B accomodation or in hostels — so what? This is not a Communist country. Such people have a roof over their heads and are being fed and watered. If they want more then let them go work to EARN it.

You don’t have to be a Communist to have compassion. I assume you have never been in the unfortunate position of trying to work, deal with kids, and living in B&B accommodation?

1 Like

What’s labours housing policy ?

Labours housing policy could be anything in the world, and it doesn’t matter because they aren’t in power to do anything. However, the government who can do something about it, choose to politicise it in order to garner favour, because they are teetering on the edge of obscurity.

1 Like

And here we go again, another attempt to get back some popularity

A nice easy target, second home owners, nobody likes them, do they?

That’ll get them a few votes without having to do much and a couple of bob more Council Tax

Now tackling tax avoidance, tax evasion, making big companies pay their fair share and stopping handouts to their mates in their chumocracy, that’s not going to happen, is it?

2 Likes

Labour don’t have a policy, last time Corby tried a raid on London property that had been developed and was empty.

Labour have absolutely zero policy and zero idea on housing. There is no alternative at the moment and certainly not any opposition.

Saying that, Iain Duncan Smith gave some excellent points on the right-to-buy for universal credit receivers. A good plan on the face of it

I mean, who wants social housing (labour) when you can own your own home (conservative) ?

1 Like

Erm … let me think … :thinking:

:069:

No … :009:

2 Likes

Why are they wanting to rent out empty shops are people going to live in them ?

Here we go again, hit those that can afford or given a second home in a family will. Why not hit those lazy sods who refuse to work but live on state handouts instead.
That is levelling up

3 Likes

Boooya !

Spot on Realspeed :023: